Minor league salaries

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league salaries

This topic contains 117 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 101 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There should be some kind of tiered payroll system for milb players. Something like:

$40k for DSL players
    $45k for GSL players
    $50K for Rookie League players
    $55k for Advance Rookie League players
    $60k for Low A players
    $65k for High A players
    $75k for AA players
    $100k for AAA players

That would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $17.5 million per year, or $1M more than Dexter Fowler makes each season.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

That would represent about a 1000% raise, I don’t think that’s happening.

I can’t believe that MiLB players still aren’t paid for Spring Training. That’s absurd, and it irritates the Major Leaguers (they end up footing the bill for outings with MiLB guys – and the bullpen catchers are usually pretty well-taken care of by the MLB pitchers in camp).

The momentum is starting on this, but it will move slowly. I think we should see more teams follow the Blue Jays with their pay raises.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I could see something closer to half of what Gscottar suggested…$20K for DSL, $25K for GCL and SS A, $40K for A and A+, $50K for AA, $60K for AAA. These are typically young people right out of high school or college and the higher level guys take several years to advance that far. Just like in non sports situations, no one expects entry level employees to make huge $$, but they should make a livable wage based on their experience and the commitment they’re expected to have to team related activities. As such, wages increase with experience, talent and expectations.

The main reason that it is not done differently right now in MiLB is “because they can.” That is what needs to change.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Are you okay with having far less guys in the system, though? Because that trade-off is likely (certain) when you talk about increases that large in pay.

I’d like to hear from more actual minor leaguers on that. There are a lot of musicians who choose to chase their dreams for far less.

I’m probably okay with it, but it’s not cut and dry.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Define “far less.” IMO any major reduction in staffing would be relatively short lived. Some team would exploit the market efficiency and expand their budget and then other teams would follow. Maybe not all, but the teams that care about winning would.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Hard to say what far less would look like, but I’m thinking one team, for sure would be gone, if not more.

If the onus was put on the local minor league teams to pay these increases, many would go belly up. So that’s probably a non-starter.

If the onus is on the MLB teams, they’d just put the new numbers into their cost/benefit analyses, and figure out what stays and what goes. They already are doing this, rich and poor teams alike. So thinking that a 500% labor cost increase wouldn’t affect the number of players carried in the minors, short or long term, defies plain logic of that.

They would draft less players, and just trim from the bottom. Almost none of those players provide any long-term WAR anyway, but under that system, Mike Piazza is an insurance guy from Racine and not Hall of Fame catcher.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I was wrong on one point mentioned on this thread – MLB players are still talking strike, but I will put that info on the correct thread, as it has nothing to do with minor leaguers.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

$20k in the Dominican would be like $100k in the GCL in terms of spending power. It wont be that high. Plus I am pretty sure Dominican league players get room and board at the academies.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Can minor leaguers sign with a club, then be guaranteed a certain minimum salary? To make up an example, Malcom Nunez signs for $300k, but is guaranteed x amount in one level, y amount in the next, etc. That doesn’t give the lower leverage (college seniors) guys much help though.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

It’s a slippery slope. You have the bonus babies but the low rounders get next to nothing as far as bonus.

They’d be almost better off offering larger bonuses to lower round guys and having them sign off on the wages. I mean were not talking 6 figures but it would be hard to say no to a 30K bonus up front if I’m drafted in the later rounds. I mean it happens in the military all the time.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

$40k for DSL players
    $45k for GSL players
    $50K for Rookie League players
    $55k for Advance Rookie League players
    $60k for Low A players
    $65k for High A players
    $75k for AA players
    $100k for AAA players

This is not even realistic.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I didn’t say it was going to happen. I was just pointing out the absurdity of MLB teams saying they can’t afford that when my scenario for 300 minor leaguers equals the salary of ONE very average major league player.

As stl25 pointed out, cutting my proposal in half would be very doable and give those guys the raise they deserve.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I think the players lose the class action certification at the Supreme Court level. Even winning that it then means a fight to prove training time and bus trips constitute work that by law should be compensated. In any case an eventual win will be minor as they are only fighting for minimum wage for those hours (over 40 per week) and the suit only includes A level and below in the states of CA, AZ and FL. This suit by itself will change little in the long run.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There is the game of perception and the game in the courts. So far, the pressure on MLB to act has been scattered. To change that will take time and many small victories.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

This could actually work against the players. A loss and people will say the “courts have spoken”. A win and people may say “the courts have spoken and now MLB is doing what the law requires”. My point is that tbey are thinking too small. They should be going after something where a win will bring meaningful change.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We see it differently. If players were worried about a loss, they would have quit trying when “Save Americas Pastime Act” was passed. A group of players of a certain age/vintage are trying to get back pay for elements of the job that have never been covered. What else could they try to do that would be more “meaningful” if they are no longer playing, for example? Note this particular suit was filed in 2014.

Viewing 18 posts - 101 through 118 (of 118 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years