Minor league salaries

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league salaries

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 458 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d assume most would get AAA pay. Oviedos last level was AA, so maybe AA pay for him if he was chosen. Also, I would think the team should pay for room and board, but as cheap as MLB has acted, who knows?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I believe the 108.50 is to cover room and board.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The taxi squad players get paid at the rate of their minor league contract as signed. Yes, the $108.50 is on top as a per diem. I believe the team covers their hotel room charges, however.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Brian, can you explain “minor league contract as signed”? I thought pay was dependent on level for minor leaguers not based on a contract amount (unless they were a minor league FA)

108.50 + hotel will be a windfall for many of the guys who have never seen the major leagues.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There are minimum salaries defined per level, but not all players in all organizations are paid the minimum. For example, some guys have split contracts that pay them a certain amount if they are in the majors and a much lesser amount if they are in the minors. For salary and benefits (like service time and associated free agency and pension qualification), the taxi squad is the same as the minors. (The only exception seems to be the per diem.) Unfortunately, there is not a database of minor league player salaries like for MLB we can reference. I am sure they like it that way…

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Very few if any split contract players have never played in the majors or at least on the 40 man roster.

What does a contract as signed look like for a player like Oviedo ? Wouldn’t he most likely have a standard contract that pays him based on his level. If so, the question is what level are they using for the base pay while in Springfield? Or maybe they are treating it as Spring training (no compensation) and only paying per diem.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The alternate camps are considered like the minor leagues. Players are paid according to the minor league contract that was set for/with them before all this happened. My guess is that Oviedo will be paid like a Double-A pitcher. If his deal is at or above the minimum, we do not know.

(Reminder that even the minor league players remaining at home this season are being paid $400 per week.)

FWIW, I am surprised you are so confident about the history of split contracts, since that info is hard to come by. But it is not central to this discussion. In the case of Oviedo, it could not apply, since he is not even on the 40-man yet.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t know yet about the Cardinals. In a normal minor league season, housing is not covered.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals have already committed to cover salaries through what would have been the regular minor league season, but one-third of the teams have no plans yet beyond this month. Their players have no idea if their pay will stop this coming week, but rents are still due. Tough situation.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The final stragglers came into line.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is huge news for minor leaguers. Some rare good news for them. Much less so for organizations.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Unless the Cards resign them, Derian Gonzales, Dobzanski, and Santos are likely free agents. I would particularly miss Gonzalez who pitched with Fernandez, Helsley, and Woodford at Peoria, a particular group that I liked. I thought Gonzalez might rebound from injuries in 2020, but Covid19 said otherwise.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This speaks volumes.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Further details.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is another one of those “should have done it a long time ago” items. In this case, minor league players, many of them making sub-minimum wage themselves, will no longer have their salaries taxed to pay clubhouse attendants. As it should have been all along, the MLB teams will pay their “clubbies”.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The P-D reported about this without naming the source of the concern and apparently did not contact them for more details. But they got the team’s reaction.

Mo’s reply to the P-D:

“We’re going to have to take a closer look,” said John Mozeliak, president of baseball operations, on Friday at Wrigley. “And we’ll see if there’s a better way to help this group.”

As a reminder, minor leaguers have no collective representation recognized by MLB.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know the Cardinals aren’t the only team trying to get by on the cheap but this is not good. These young minor leaguers deserve to have a couple of decent meals per day and a decent place to sleep without losing money. Most of these young guys didn’t get the big signing bonus.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Never have heard of team staying in hotel while playing home games.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Never had a COVID epidemic before.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sadly, minor league matters are ignored in the CBA negotiations. But the lawsuits seeing back pay continue.

MLB’s position in court:

“It is the players that obtain the greater benefit from the training opportunities that they are afforded than the clubs, who actually just incur the cost of having to provide that training,” said Elise Bloom of Proskauer Rose, a firm that is also advising MLB in its lockout of major league players. “During the training season, the players are not employees, and would not be subject to either the Fair Labor Standards Act or any state minimum wage act.”

So, during spring training, players are not team employees? How can anyone argue this with a straight face? Is there any wonder players mistrust ownership? It begins in the cradle.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

We can argue tit for tat over MLB players-owners all day long but I don’t think any reasonable person would say that minor league players haven’t been horribly abused.

I hope these kids get some relief and a fair shake.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I guess I am not a reasonable person then!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One former MLB player is showing support of the minor leaguers.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 458 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.