Minor league salaries

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league salaries

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 413 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Betts is a Class-A full-season pitcher.

Participant

Free

Can somebody give me a good source or link for minor league salary info. I have found several that either differ or dated. For example, I read in one place that players on the 40 man and still in the minors are guaranteed $40k minimum. But other places never mention that. One thing that is clear on practically all sources is that Spring Training for minor league players is unpaid. That is a real croc. Do they get anything in ST such as meals or travel money? Thanks

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Spring training for major league players is also unpaid though their per diem is generous.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Bonuses if handled wisely would help many of the players. But I agree they deserve what they now get times two and a half or three times.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

AHL tickets are 3-4 times the price of AAA tickets. Who is paying AHL players? The AHL teams or the NHL? I am not sure how relevant the number of games played is. Hockey is a much more physically taxing sport.

Comparing 2019-2020 Ticket Prices Around the American Hockey League

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The two threads are (rightfully) getting tied together – contraction and salaries. Garrett Broshuis is a lawyer and former minor leaguer who has been working with players on salary rights for several years.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

A billion divided by 30 teams! Well that’s about $33M and change, for each team. Not enough to cover the cost of even one year of Cole. What’s an MLB club to do. It’s tough out there, for sure.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Just about what it would cost to give every stateside minor leaguer a 3k a month raise (without contraction)

Participant

Paid - Annual

This is how the owners treated the MLB players before the rise of the MLBPA and Marvin Miller. The minor league players need a union.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

A billion divided by 30 teams! Well that’s about $33M and change, for each team. Not enough to cover the cost of even one year of Cole. What’s an MLB club to do. It’s tough out there, for sure.

That’s over 10 years. $3.33 million per year doesn’t even get you a washed up Japanese lefty with one good pitch.

#mathfail

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

That’s over 10 years. $3.33 million per year doesn’t even get you a washed up Japanese lefty with one good pitch.

#mathfail

No where in the article did it say it was a 10-year period.

#Readingcomprehensionfail

Participant

Paid - Monthly

BHC, if you read the original cited tweet it says that it is a 10 year deal.

#readingcomprehensionfaillooks inthemirror

Participant

Free

No where in the article did it say it was a 10-year period.

#Readingcomprehensionfail

You got one of those two things right.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Does anybody know what responsibility a minor league ball club has regarding living accommodations and meals for players? Do the major league clubs have the responsibility for everything including salaries, accommodations, and hours worked? Do minor league teams only provide the stadium and practice facilities, plus promotion, ticket sales, and uniforms? Are minor league teams making a profit while bearing no liability for anything that happens regarding the players? If teams don’t need certain minor league clubs, and if they’re not getting anything but criticism and lawsuits for having them, then doesn’t it make sense for the major league teams to want out? I don’t think this is all about saving money and nothing else.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Players are on their own for accommodations once they are out of the complex leagues. In the lower minors, there is a commonly-used program called host families. Local people in the community “adopt” a player for the season, giving him a place to sleep and eat and more importantly, a sense of belonging for a teenager far from home.

I am not really sure exactly what your post is getting at, but the last sentence is not true, in my assessment. MLB wants to cut expense and that is what this is about. The predominant expense is player salaries, but managers, coaches, trainers and strength and conditioning coaches will be cut, too. MLB has also complained about transportation costs, but I cannot believe the bus rides are a big expense item.

Participant

Paid - Annual

What are the ‘complex leagues’? Thanks.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Complex leagues are the Dominican Summer, Gulf Coast and Arizona Leagues. Teams play on the back fields of their organization’s player development complexes. These teams typically are made up almost exclusively of teenagers. MLB organizations do not plan to cut their complex teams. In the proposed new world, all Cardinals players will have to jump directly from the GCL to Peoria.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I have a friend who has a grandson in a junior hockey league. He stays with a host family which I assume is the same as what you described.

It’s about money, mostly. I get that. But I’m suggesting that there could be more to it than saving money by eliminating some teams. They could be looking at saving money by taking actions to avoid paying out millions and millions in damages from lawsuits. The first step would seem to be for MLB to get their minor league teams under their direct control. Getting all the facts and figures together with all why’s and wherefore’s hasn’t been done as far as I know. This seems like work for an investigative reporter, hopefully one who is unbiased and wants only to lift the cloud around this issue.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The big difference is that junior hockey is played by amateurs, not professionals. But neither can afford to live on their own.

MLB does not want to own the minor league teams. They believe they are more efficient in player development than in the past and want to pay fewer players. They also know they will eventually have to increase minor league salaries so the players’ jobs eliminated in the team cuts can help cover that additional expense.

A new agreement between MLB and MiLB that governs how the minor leagues are run will be negotiated. All the details are spelled out in advance as far as who pays what and when.

The reason MLB is being sued is because they have not paid minor league players a fair wage. Eliminating teams will not change that. Even increasing salaries in the future will not change that because the suits are about what happened in the past.

There will be many new lawsuits, I predict, when municipalities that are upset about having funded ballparks and improvements and are concerned about the negative economic impact will fight to keep their teams.

I am not confused about the issues and I don’t think most others are, either. It should not be a mystery.

Participant

Free

I think that what we are going to see is both sides lose in this one. MLB will be forced to pay more, and, as a result of basic economics, far less minor league jobs will be kept. Minor professional baseball just doesn’t bring in the money to support highly paid players.

College baseball could end up being the biggest winner in this.

I know that so many people think that rich people can afford to pay more, but there has never, ever been a forced major raise in minimum salary that didn’t result in far less demand for labor. That’s the way the world works, even if it makes multi-colored hair 20-somethings cry.

Do the minors pay too little? Economics say they don’t, because they have more supply of young men willing to work for that wage than they have positions to fill.

None of this is to say that there won’t be a ton of finger-pointing when the inevitable happens. Owners will be called greedy, but they will continue to do with their businesses what they please, which is their right.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I love how MLB teams say making money is difficult in this sport.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 413 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years