Minor league salaries

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league salaries

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 415 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Monthly

If I am paying them they are going to organized workouts

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC said:

If I am paying them they are going to organized workouts

I get your sentiment, but I doubt they are going to bring them all in. First of all, they would need a place to bring them into. All the AZ and FL facilities are closed right now. Then, they need to have the budget to run the camp.

My sense is that their hope is to bring in selected players later on (along with the 30+ minor leaguers in Springfield.)

Participant

Paid - Annual

Be interesting to see the makeup of the 60 players. Wonder if you can exclude 40 man roster guys and instead go with more prospects instead and the technicalities involved there. (Roster vs non roster). Looks like a balancing act to keep better prospects active and having ample protection for big club)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

UncleDenny said:

1) Be interesting to see the makeup of the 60 players.

2) Wonder if you can exclude 40 man roster guys and instead go with more prospects instead and the technicalities involved there. (Roster vs non roster).

3) Looks like a balancing act to keep better prospects active and having ample protection for big club)

1) Yes. The roster is coming Sunday. I am working on my predictions right now.

2) Yes. But to be called up, the taxi squad player must be on the 40-man like always.

3) Yes, but it will be easier with 60 players compared to the 50 rumored earlier.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Following that line of thought I could see several 40 man guys not included in the 60.

Participant

Free

Just a thought but US Baseball is running a 7 team Collegiate Wood Bat League at their stadium in Ozark about 10 miles south of Hammonds Field in Springfield. A lot of minor leaguers are playing there from what I hear so maybe they could have some games between US Baseball teams and the Springfield Taxi Squad. They even have T-ball for those who want to show off……lol

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MM3, do you really mean that minor leaguers currently under contract with an MLB organization are playing in a college summer league? Are you sure about that? It would be quite a scoop if that is the case.

Participant

Free

I would not bet on anything the local TV sports reporters say but a week or so ago they did an on air interview with a player they described as a minor leaguer who was playing in Ozark in June and would go to Maryland in July unless he could go to Massachusetts for the Red Sox later. Confusing – yes – but I have heard from people who should know that there are some friends of friends who have come to play in this wood bat league who are minor leaguers. In other words, don’t bet the house on it as they could just be prospects who hope to try out at a camp. I have never been inside the gates of that ballpark but you can see it clearly from the road and they only recently completed a huge metal building with offices attached and they say that is for batting cages and rehabs, etc. Maybe you can dig up a TCN reporter to venture out that way. But be forewarned. They will have to turn right at the corner where a Lamberts Cafe, Home of the Throwed Rolls, is located to get to the ballpark. I would snoop more but a driveby and a google of US Baseball told me more than I need to know plus my oxygen hose and rollator are hard to push up a hill from the parking lot…..lol

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The major point to keep sight of is that minor leaguers are under contract to their big league organizations (and are being paid this summer). They cannot just go off and play in a league somewhere without permission, and if this was happening with permission, we would be hearing about it nationally. Until I see some rosters with familiar names on them, I will remain highly skeptical.

Participant

Free

I get your point Brian and I don’t anything nefarious is going on. What comes to mind is maybe some teams have given these guys permission to ‘work out’ with wood bat collegiate leagues. With no fans in the stands I doubt any of them (if there are any) are being paid by the US Baseball folks.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fortunately for Cardinals minor leaguers, they will be paid through August, but many others are not so fortunate. Four days before pay could stop, half of the organizations have not declared if they will continue.

Participant

Free

I must be going bonkers as I would swear that I read MLB would pay minor leaguers through the end of their season. Some of those end in early September do they not? Or have I misread something somewhere (as usual).

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not MLB, the Cardinals. The decision whether or not to pay minor leaguers became a team-by-team decision after the first two months.

Participant

Free

Thanks Brian. That tells me the others better act quick if they expect to build up taxi squads. It would seem that if they quit paying the rest of their minor leaguers during the period of a season that would void their contracts. Maybe that’s why they called me a guard house lawyer in the military….lol

Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s considerate for the owners to do that since most employers don’t pay employees who are laid off. Of course, there are those who see this as the glass being half empty, rather than half full. I am currently engaged in a dialogue with one of my millennial sons who would probably see it that way if I brought it up to him.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some who do not fully understand can oversimplify. A big difference with minor league players is that they are not laid off. They are still under contract and are still expected to be ready to be called in. That gets in the way of claiming welfare in some states. Some players are worried of retaliation if they file.

Sadly, instead of doing their employees right, some MLB teams have to be shamed into it.

For example, the Nationals decided to cut their minor leaguers’ salaries after two months. Their MLB players announced they would pay the gap. That embarrassed the team into changing their position.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am not surprised to see the Angels here…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

Sorry if this has already been answered but what is the latest on our draft picks and where they are playing for the rest of the summer? Second rounder Wynn is from across town from where I live. Just asking.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Walker and Winn are in Springfield. That is it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I just read that taxi squad players get paid minor league pay plus $108.50 daily allowance.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

What level of minor league pay? I assume they have to stay at a team selected hotel (to maintain quarantine) that probably takes a large chunk of the 108.50.

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 415 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years