Minor league salaries

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league salaries

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 416 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Brian wrote: This entire matter is being handled oddly.

Everything since March 12th fits into that category.

Participant

Free

The Minor league cuts were going to HAVE To happen if they are cutting that many minor league teams…it was just a matter of when it was going to happen

Participant

Paid - Annual

Companies that received PPP loans for eight weeks are going to see that eight week period expire within the next week or two, depending on when they took out the loans. I suspect there will be many employees across the nation coming off the payrolls soon, not just ballplayers. I work for a company in that situation and I know for a fact that some employees will not be returning once the loan money is depleted. Fortunately for me I am not in that category but I feel for those that are.

Participant

Free

Am I wrong in presuming that there will be NO minor league season this year? Doesn’t seem possible to support them with no fans in the stands. And there are proposals for major league teams to carry up to 50 players. What a mess.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MM3 asked:

Am I wrong in presuming that there will be NO minor league season this year? Doesn’t seem possible to support them with no fans in the stands.

It is a very good assumption, and the player cuts now seem to put the final nail in the coffin, but there has been no formal announcement.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

David Price joins Adam Wainwright, Shin-Soo Choo and other MLB players helping out minor leaguers.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Onyx wrote:

The Minor league cuts were going to HAVE To happen if they are cutting that many minor league teams…it was just a matter of when it was going to happen

This is true. However, the cuts are a year earlier than absolutely required. That is a year lost for at least some of these players to step up and improve their stock.

However, the reality of no 2020 minor league season, the down revenue for MLB and the folding of resistance to the MiLB contraction plan together moved the cuts forward on the calendar. That it was apparently inevitable doesn’t make it less painful, especially for those who had been holding out slim hopes.

Participant

Free

Brian wrote: David Price joins Adam Wainwright, Shin-Soo Choo and other MLB players helping out minor leaguers.

They just gained a ton of my admiration and Price needed it. Now I would like to see him in a Cards uni but I know the Dodgers just got him. The Cards are keeping Springfield AA staff and game day folks paid through June. I am surprised that even the game day folks get some money but it’s all good. Now if they could just get their parking situation straightened out.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Royals GM had these comments. They may still release players before next summer, but do have some acceptance and appreciation of the timing and the current situation.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Still no word on who or how many players the Cardinals cut. If a small market team like the Royals can pay their MiLB player though the season there is no reason other teams can’t do the same.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/05/rounding-up-the-latest-minor-league-cuts.html

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

The Cardinals released 33 players. None of them were DSL players. Jeff Jones published the list on twitter broken up by team. Here’s the complete list:

Memphis
    C Oscar Hernandez
    P Johnny Hellweg
    P Chris Ells

Springfield
    2B Zach Kirtley
    P Michael Baird
    P Will Latcham

Palm Beach
    P Perry DellaValle
    SS Michael Perri
    OF Wadye Ynfante

Peoria
    C Alexis Wilson
    OF Brandon Riley
    3B Brylie Ware
    P Adrian Mardueno
    SS Edwin Figuera
    OF Kevin Woodall
    P Connor Coward
    P Scott Politz
    P Parker Kelly

State College
    P Cameron Dulle
    P Jeremy Randolph
    3B Liam Sabino
    3B Martin Figueroa

Johnson City
    P Walker Robbins
    OF Carlos Soler
    P Dylan Pearce
    P John Witkowski
    P Tyler Peck

GCL
    1B Freddy De Jesus
    P Anthony Green
    SS Yowelfy Rosario
    P Saniel Santana
    2B Pablo Gomez
    P Jeffry Abreu

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Surprised about Ellis, Ynfante, and Robbins.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am disappointed to lose Soler, Woodall, and Kelly.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In case anyone wonders, the difference between the 37 releases reported by the P-D and our 33 is four DSL players released three weeks ago we already wrote about at that time.

Participant

Free

I don’t understand cutting Kelly. He looked promising in his outings from the bullpen. So did Cameron Dulle.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

I agree BlackHills, completely surprised about Kelly, Dulle, and Perry DellaValle. I thought the Cardinals were pretty high on DellaValle before the suspension.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No doubt the minor leaguers who now have no money coming in will feel it was the right thing to do.

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

Lost some respect for DeWitt hearing him downplay mlb owner profitability yesterday in an interview. I wish he’d have just said “No Comment”. Article I read was on mlbtraderumors.com.
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/cards-chairman-dewitt-baseball-industry-isnt-very-profitable.html

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by MrperkinsMrperkins.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There are other related posts on Broshuis’ twitter thread below. He does not name the organizations trying to discourage minor leaguers for filing for unemployment benefits. Some players are worried doing so would be used against them later.

Some MLB teams are fond of using the term “optics” for how their actions appear to the public. They are taking a beating currently.

Participant

Free

Re: Owners comments. Isn’t it funny how someone’s preconceived notions trump what a person who should know says. People are tending to parse every word when they disagree with someone’s comments.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

If they do get unemployment, they get another $600 added onto their checks in stimulus money.

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 416 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years