Miles Mikolas injury

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Miles Mikolas injury

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ralston was pegged to be a reliever by the FO. Seems odd for an organization who gives every chance for a pitcher to be a starter to begin their career. I saw him pitch for UCLA. It looked like he had a starters arsenal of pitches. His windmill delivery should be very deceiving to hitters, but may be easier to steal bases on.

One thing for sure is that our 6th, 7th, and even 8th starters offer nearly the most depth in mlb. And some have experience. Unfortunately, some will be out of options in 2021. But then again, Rondon, Oviedo, Liberatore, Woodford should be ready to step in.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Anyone left out? Anyone misclassified?

FaGalde should be on the #4-#5 list. :o)

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Ponce de Leon stats suggest better than #4 starter

Participant

Paid - Monthly

27, I challenge you to find any credible source saying the FO has Ralston pegged as a reliever.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

FaGalde should be on the #4-#5 list. :o)

Pugs would be appalled if he were left off the #1-3 list, let alone left off altogether. Lol

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ponce de Leon stats suggest better than #4 starter

I see Ponce as a guy who can flourish for 70-100 innings in a role that a team with deep pitching can sustain…like the Dodgers of recent vintage or the Cards hope to be this year. I’m not sure he’s a #3 long term with his control issues.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

27, I challenge you to find any credible source saying the FO has Ralston pegged as a reliever.

The only one I’ve seen is from Baseball America’s Kyle Glaser who mentioned it as a sort of matter of fact.

Participant

Free

Bccran, good starters list, I just don’t like Woodford for some reason.

Pallante is someone I’d throw in there too, when we did the rankings on here I had him higher than Locey simply due to better control. They are both several years away so who knows.

Participant

Free

– Fingers crossed Miles can avoid the “S” word and be ready by opening day….
    – Fingers crossed that CMart can show signs of being the SP he was in 15-17
    – Fingers crossed that KK can start and be a solid SP if the first two finger crossings don’t happen
    – If those don’t happen, another fingers crossed of course, Helsley is someone who has the stuff, and could turn into a solid option

If 2 of the above finger crossings don’t work, I’d like to take a minute to remind everyone that Matt Boyd is still on the rebuilding Tigers, and if Mo could pull off a “surplus” trade to get him, the 2020-22 Cardinals rotation would be better off and give them a solid lefty until Thompson and Liberatore are ready to go.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Thompson and Liberatore are at least 1 to 2 full seasons from the majors.

Participant

Free

BHC, I agree, and part of my suggesting that is because Boyd has 3 years of control left so he’s much more than a rental. I wouldn’t count on Thompson or Liberatore to be SP’s until the 22 season at the earliest. Secondly, I don’t see Cabrera ending up in the rotation unless the control gets under control (pun intended). Kim could be the needed lefty, but that’s a huge unknown at this point.

Participant

Free

I didn’t really have a problem with a contract extension for mikolas I just wasn’t sure it needed done when it did like the goldy contract. yea you take a chance someone says im doing pretty good, ill wait and see other offers if you wait but its better than rushing a deal. hopefully its not a long term problem.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Seems like nobody is even considering Alex Reyes. Why has everyone forgotten about him?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rats, given how much time he missed, Reyes is unlikely to start for St. Louis to open this season. Since this discussion is about candidates to replace Mikolas to start the year if needed, Reyes is an unlikely choice.

Most reasonable best case is that Reyes earns a pen spot or if he doesn’t make the team, he will be back in Memphis to sharpen up.

Many people are keeping expectations low for Reyes after three years of disappointment. If he can turn the corner, though, he will certainly earn a prominent role. If.

Participant

Free

Reyes is not given much consideration because he’s never been healthy.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If he could stay healthy, that would be thrilling, not only because of the quality of his pitches, but also because of his story.

Participant

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I still find Reyes’ potential tantalizing but counting on him to actually deliver seems pointless. He is going to have to prove it.

With Mikolas, CMart, and Waino iffy our starting depth is going to be tested. I would be surprised if the Cards go outside the organization considering the self imposed payroll limits. Flaherty and Hudson are solid but guys like KK, Ponce, and Gomber are going to have to step up. Maybe even a surprise like Woodford.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Reyes article is behind the paywall but I assume Reyes is in the best shape of his life™, throwing 100 and his curve starts over the batter’s head and ends up in the dirt?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe even a surprise like Woodford.

Or Rondon or Oviedo, if they take off.

Participant

Free

Reyes has 58 IP between the minors and MLB in the last three years, if they get 58 bullpen innings out of him in 2020, I would consider that a huge win. If he can do that, then going into 2021, he can be worked out as a starter and potentially be the ace we all dreamed of 2, 3, 4 and 5 years ago. To expect him to go from basically nothing, to 150+ innings is a fantasy that has to be left in our dreams.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Or Rondon or Oviedo, if they take off.

I am very high on Oviedo. His huge frame is imposing. Hopefully he can harness his stuff.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A second injection. Not encouraging.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mikolas pushed back a month

This doesn’t feel like another month off is going to help, he just got off 4 months. Seems like they are just delaying the inevitable.

I like some of our kids too, but wasnt the rotation supposed to be the strength?

now we are depending on kids to fix the offense, and kids to fill the rotation, and also “someone” to step up for the bullpen…throw in “hope” for mid 30yr olds to turn it around and that makes it hard to be optimistic

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t call KK Kim a kid. Most teams do not have the luxury of a guy like that as their #6 starter.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years