Miles Mikolas injury

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Miles Mikolas injury

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The first reported problem from camp occurred before position players are required to report…

My translation: If Mikolas can’t throw now, and the first game is in a week, then yes, his spring debut will almost certainly be delayed. If Mikolas was sore coming out of last season and is still affected now, this may not go away anytime soon.

One thing that is clear to me – the value of KK Kim just bumped up a notch.

bccran
    Participant

What’s that old adage? You can never have enough pitching?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Forearm soreness? We can guess what that usually means. Good thing we signed KK and have some options on guys between the pen and rotation.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

More background.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One thing I feel confident in, is our starting pitching depth. Hopefully, this just delays his ST debut. There are a lot of pitchers on a starters program to start ST, so this might give more innings to the competition.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another update suggests TJS may not be needed…

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the update.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

4 months rest didnt help the problem? Not good.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mikolas’ take:

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Not sounding good. But unlike the OF a lil more proven quality in the SP depth.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agreed with the comment on 4 months.

Bad sign

Also this was an issue at the end of the year and they didn’t test it over the winter.

This feels like a surgery is a out to happen. They have barely been there and doing any work and he’s already sore.

Looks like CMart will be in almost no matter what. Then we have to go to Kim or Ponce.

Jack HUD waino Cmart Ponce/Kim
    Jack hud waino Ponce Kim

Doesn’t look to scary.

We may never see Mikolas 2018 but he was solid and stabilizing.

Jack is a out the only thing stable in the rotation. And that’s a lot to ask of a kid. Hud is sophomore. Waino is a coinflip. Ponce CMart Kim and the rest are question marks.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Isnt it about time for Alex Reyes to have some sort of small issue? Then somehow it turns into surgery and he misses six months.

I am just waiting for that to happen…….

r/Esteemed Rat

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

They definitely need the 2015-17 CMart to come back. He could be a true Co-ace if he can, or he could end up in the pen, huge variance of outcomes to say the least.

Helsley is someone that could be in the conversation but doesn’t get much fanfare. He probably has the highest upside of anyone except Reyes and CMart and I wouldn’t hate it if he got a look to be the 5th starter.

If all else fails, Ponce will be there to be an above average back end starter.

1982 willie
    Participant

I don’t understand this. with all the medical tech we have, that this couldn’t have gotten fixed after the season. instead of giving 4 months and wait til spring training to find out its still sore, how bout giving him a month then work him out and if its sore, then go through the medical stuff. if something doesn’t heal itself in one month with rest, its not going away in 4.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Not a doctor but scar tissue without a tear doesn’t sound right to me.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lets not forget about Austin Gomber.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the team was really supremely confident with all the options after Mikolas they wouldn’t have gotten Kim or at least not given such a talk about him being a possible starter.

The only move they really made was for Kim. I think that speaks to the lack of confidence with those other options.

Having said that. I’d have rather gone with and trusted our depth in pitching and instead made a move for the offense as we have a much better track record for producing capable starters for pitching rather than productive impact offensive threats.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Most of the talk around the Kim acquisition was insurance in case Carlos Martinez’ shoulder will not allow him to start. This is still an open question until he proves otherwise.

Worst case for the Cardinals rotation is if neither Martinez nor Mikolas can start. Then, Kim and one other would presumably start. Candidates would include Gomber, Ponce de Leon, Cabrera and others.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BW, Is Gant going to be stretched out as a SP again this ST?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, Gant is one of the 12 or 13 pitchers being worked as a starter. My guess, though, it that he will be assigned to the pen again for the regular season, though maybe that is unfairly counting him out of the spring starter competition. I am guessing the same for Helsley, since they both were good in relief last year.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

How long before we hear the S word?

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Saw he was officially shutdown earlier today. I thought it was just evaluation.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mikolas hasn’t yet pitched a day on his new contract and it is already being called a bust. Going forward, some amazing predictive powers here. Going backward, I am still looking for any earlier article criticizing the deal when it was signed a year ago…

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Like a lot of extensions given recently by our FO, it was too many years given. One year less, and a buyout option would have been more practical, At least he didn’t get a no trade clause. They were giving those out like candy for Halloween for a while. Time will tell, as we don’t know the extent of the injury, and/or his recovery time. Certainly not a bust, unless injuries keep being an issue.

bccran
    Participant

Lot of ifs, ands, and buts but I can’t ever remember as many high ceiling potential starters here, or in the pipeline.

Possible #1-#3 types. Flaherty. Hudson. Martinez. Reyes. Cabrera. Helsley. Rondon. Thompson. Liberatore. Oviedo.

With legitimate #4-#5 guys like Ponce, Gant, Gomber, Woodford, Sanchez, Seijas, Roberts, Locey, Ralston, etc.

Anyone left out? Anyone misclassified?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.