Miles Mikolas injury

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Miles Mikolas injury

Viewing 12 posts - 126 through 137 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mikolas will throw a three inning simulated bullpen session Tuesday. If he recovers normally, he could begin a minor league rehab assignment as soon as this coming weekend.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Anything the Cards get from Mikolas at this point is a bonus. He’s thrown a grand total of 4 innings between the ’20 and ’21 seasons.

Got injured near the end of ’19 as I recall.

If he can somehow come back, be good, and stay healthy that would be like winning the lottery.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mikolas’ extension has turned into a total disaster for the Cards at this point. The hope was that he was going to be something closer to the 2018 Mikolas, or at least eat innings like he did in 2019 in a Waino sort of role. Instead, he’s been injured and the best case scenario is that he’s healthy for 2022 and 2023 to finish his deal as a 33/34 year old. At that point it’s hard to expect him to be more than a #5 starter at $17M a year.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

If he stays hurt is all that money guaranteed or can he be cut & bought out?

He was barely serviceable in 2019 and has of course been a payroll anchor in ’20 and ’21.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The money is guaranteed. $17M this year, $17M in 2022, and $17M in 2023.

I hate to say it but this was another one of Mo’s rushed contract extensions.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

nobody has claimed that Mo has any brains Gscott lol

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While the money is guaranteed, I’d think there would be insurance policies to cover losses of entire years. Not sure how it would work for him pitching little bits of years. Still, the point remains that unless something changes soon, it will be a lot of lost money. The Cards’ Midas touch on contracts in the early Mozeliak years has definitely ended.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

I think for insurance, it has to be career ending (at least contract ending), and he has to be on the 40 man.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I hate to say it but this was another one of Mo’s rushed contract extensions.

The worst extension was the one that he got. He’s in Carpenter territory as far as that goes.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Mikolas, Carpenter, and to some extent DeJong have hampered the club’s financial flexibility to some degree. You would think the days of doing that are over. No locking Tommy Edman up for five years.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Well, that is bad, bad news on Mikolas. If he does not come back and win 15+ games for the Cards in 22 and 23 this may be the worst contract in Cardinal history from a $$ wasted standpoint.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bad contracts are a problem with a simple and time honored solution. Just keep raising prices to cover it.

Viewing 12 posts - 126 through 137 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years