Manager Mike Shildt

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Manager Mike Shildt

Viewing 11 posts - 201 through 211 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Shildt is mostly an unknown as far as any success ranking, but did well in his audition so the #22 ranking seems about right. He took a club going nowhere and got them into contention, with a lot of help from some guys getting hot at the right time.

I was not a fan of every move he made – he still seems to fall into the push-button mold managers have in using pitchers in roles, rather than as how they are performing as the game unfolds.

He will be under some pressure this year, as this team is talented if healthy, and should win 90 games or more. Anything less without good cause, such as some key players going out for an extended period, and he will be scrutinized.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If I have learned anything over the years it is never try to have an open minded discussion with one whose mind is closed.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A historical view.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Some pretty cozy company that Skip is being associated with. If he’s still in the conversation at game #200, then we’re in business.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Rogers Hornsby should be on that list as well. He took the Redbirds their first ever modern era pennant in his first full season at the helm.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The list was the top managerial records in their first 100 games. Hornsby was only 52-48 in his first 100 games, so fell short of the others. I added the pennant results of the top game winners.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am curious how much rest Schildt will give the starting lineup going forward, as they have carried a heavy load so far.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yeah, I saw that after I posted about Hornsby on the “100 game mark records”. My bad.

On Shildt and the player usage – he needs to give Yadi more down time, especially with a solid backup now. I would spot start Gyorko a little more against lefties and get Carp out of there.

He is doing a real good job with the bullpen, but then that is sort of a chicken-and-egg deal. It might be that the bullpen pitchers are all real good, so no matter what you do you are successful.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
Viewing 11 posts - 201 through 211 (of 211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years