Manager Mike Shildt

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Manager Mike Shildt

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

I was with the part of the fan base that asked what the rush was. I think this is a bigger problem currently than just Shildt.

Now he’s got some adversity for basically the first time all season. First order of Business is avoiding the sweep but I feel that it has more to do with the talent and team health than anything else.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ha Ha! You have a good memory, BlackHills. All multiyear contracts should have a Buyers Remorse Clause. Productivity would soar. I bet if Fowler would have had an active BRC in his contract this past year, he would have hit .308 and bopped 28 dingers.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Booyah, I feel like Shildt isn’t even managing now like he was in August. His entire style appears to have changed within the past 2 weeks.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know managers can make errors, but can they actually go into slumps….and conversely go on hot streaks too? If so, Dave Roberts is presently in the zone.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

IMHO the handwringing and “buyers remorse” over signing Schildt to a extension is utter nonsense.Sure he has had a few head shaaer moments and like Saturdays game ( 17-4) nothing you try seems to work.But overall the team is 54-22 with him as manager and although several players have hit the wall and faltered badly lately (Carpenter,Jmart ,Molina etc) and some rookies have shown rookie inconsitencies(SP) Bader,Gomber, Gomber,Hudson,) this team is still hanging in contention.The Cards ran into a Red hot LAD teams that seems unable to screw up right now.My only complaint is Shildt seems to stick with some guys too long and fails to completely use all his options ( sticking with a obviously fatigued Molina and JMart instead of giving ONeill or Munoz playing time in RF and using Kelly instead of Pena ) I cant fault Schildt for Weavers complete meltdown this season or too many pitchers nibbling instead of attacking hitters.Schilt and Maddux are trying ti stay in the race using 2 rookie SPs and a makeshift bullpen full of rookie,vets coming off injuries and underperforming vets.No team has had more injury issues than the Cards this year.Cards lost Molina for a month or so.Wong for weeks,Gyorko for weeks,DeJong for month,Cmartinez,Alex Reyes,Gregerson,Bowman,Wainwright,Leone,Wacha for months.that 4/5 of your projected Starting rotations and 3 guys projected to be bullpen fixtures.All in all coming back into contention under Shildt has been quite remarkable and whatever the final outcome I see no reason to not be excited for the future with all the young talent getting big league experience .

bccran
    Participant

I was at the game yesterday and here was the team on the field –

1B – career minor leaguer
    2B – true proven major leaguer
    SS – second year player in a slump
    3B – supposed to be a utility player
    LF – good, but limited by sore arm
    CF – rookie
    RF – defensive liability in an awful slump
    C – true proven major leaguer

And we’re trying to compete for a playoff spot?

I wouldn’t talk about the two Mike managers. I’d look between the lines.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I’m thinking a loss to the LAD today and some regs here will be calling for his head. What happened to all that wonderment he brought with him… the clubhouse unity… his style of managing that was so much better than Matheny’s… Yadi on board and batting second… where oh where did all that genius go?

And this is the improved Cardinal team with some new infusion of talent. The new batting instructor is having a challenge now and if HE doesn’t get the team to start hitting again all the “improvement” the new manager and coaches brought will be for naught if the Cards are on the golf course in October.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

typo Shildt as manager 34-22.My bad.Sorry.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I disagree about if the Cards dont make the playoffs " the improvement " will be for naught.How can improvement be for naught if it is a positive step in the right direction.Sometimes it isnt always instant gratification in baseball.Sometimes your best just is a little short because another team was hotter or luckier or less affected by injury etc;.If I recall correctly the 1963 Cards made a late pennant push trying to catch the LAD and the Dodgers whipped them and the Cards finished 6 gsames out.Stan the Mans final season.We all know what happened in 1964.Making a couple of smart additions and getting some better health can help get this ship right again.This Cards team is the youngest of all MLB teams in playoff contention and overall the Cards are the 5th youngest team in all MLB.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Whether of not the improvement was for naught or future success the bottom line is this season is still a failure with no postseason appearance.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No problemo, Bw….I’m sure Shildt would gladly take the extra 20 wins. As usual, BlackHills is right on the money in that this season is a resounding failure if there is no post season play in the Cards. It would be fine and dandy for the Pads….and the cubbies for 107 of the last 110 years….but not St. Louis.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ARod said on the broadcast last night that after meeting Shildt for the first time in July he (ARod) immediately predicted the Cards would make the playoffs this season. He was that impressed with the new skipper. That was before we went on our August run.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As long as they ARE effective, I hope Schildt continues using relievers for multiple innings. Hudson and Ponce Deleon should do well in these roles, if they don’t start.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Though the title of the article is very odd, the writer identifies several decisions made by Shildt that he would like to see changed for 2019. None are fatal and all seem easily addressable – if he agrees with them.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2018/10/11/17962426/shildt-mike-did-as-manager-that-i-hope-stops

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bernie Miklasz interviews Shildt at The Athletic ($) on his managerial approach and coaches. (No specific player info, but definitely informative.)

https://theathletic.com/636094/2018/11/05/the-skippers-take-qa-with-cardinals-manager-mike-shildt-about-his-2018-thoughts-and-whats-ahead-for-the-team/

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Was it me, but didn’t Shildt seem to utilize hit and run, or his use of relievers for multiple innings as much in September as in prior months. Perhaps performance had much to do with it, but I hope he continues his use of it. I think it should be an advantage to utilize all of the potential relievers we have with starters background.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    14NyquisT
    Participant

I’m very surprised that they feel that there are 8 managers worse than Shildt.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

How many MLB managers have a .594 win percentage? Over a full season, that would work out to 96 wins.

Too bad you won’t give the guy a chance to carry out a season from start to finish before making your judgement.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I can’t see rating a manager on the team’s record and especially over 69 games. But I’ll play the numbers game. How about the 12-15 record down the stretch in the month of Sept. (.461)??

I’ve seen enough of our manager’s decisions to get a sense of the man and to draw an opinion.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I guess if one had an agenda, one could parse it down to one week or a series to try to support their conclusion. Most folks who still have an open mind, however, would look at the largest block of data available, which is still very small at 69 games.

By definition, rankings are subjective. But looking at some data, like wins, seems reasonable, especially for those with a limited track record.

I am not suggesting Shildt deserves to be in the top 10 or anything like that, nor do I believe one should assume the worst. Overall, the indications we have about the manager’s performance at this early point are more positive than negative, though it is very clear you disagree with that.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Most folks who still have an open mind, however, would look at the largest block of data available, which is still very small at 69 games.

I expressed an opinion and didn’t use conjecture to make a point,

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Schildt is still an unknown to most of the baseball world. I think the Cardinals are lucky to have him and I have no doubt he will be moving up these rankings in the coming years.

Besides Maddon I think the guy on the biggest hot seat is Dave Martinez. 2018 was a disaster for the Nats and their ownership isn’t know for being patient. They fired Dusty Baker after winning 98 games.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I think Mets manager Mickey Calloway is also going to be in trouble if they don’t start well. A hot-shot new GM is in place – and the guy who hired Calloway is long gone.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.