Manager Mike Shildt

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Manager Mike Shildt

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I dont think MOlina was in the wrong at all for answering the question…and Shildt would know that too…i see no disrespect…Shildt is afterall an “interim” manager, he and everyone else knows…all he gets is the rest of the season…afetr that is a different conversation, and it isnt wrong for MOlina to answer question about that if he wants… had he said I coudl be player manager NOW…thatd be different

as for sitting Molina more…he already got a month long break, i dont see WHY you woudl sit him as he is one of our most consistent players, and again…and again and again…until he shows me with poor performance that he cant go every day…then he plays every day (6 a week)

Yadi’s playing time always seems to be some big question and concern yet all Yadi does is prove he doesnt need the time off…he didnt get hurt for a month because he was tired or pushing too hard…practically all his injuries (and they are few) are more accidents than injuries gotten because of age or tiredness

the team’s success this year has so much more to do with so many other performers on the team….Yadi being a little tired and it not showing up at the plate or behind the dish is far from an issue…and management of that time is really the lat thing Shildt shoudl be worried about putting his foot down on…PEna isnt as good defensively nor offensively….

performance should drive the lineup…and Yadi’;s performance indicates he shoudl play…are we really finding a way to blame MM playing his most consistent and dependable player on his team as much as possible when it doesnt seem to affect his play?

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Seems the Cardinals are wasting no time in putting their best system coaches on the team’s coaching staff.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I dont think MOlina was in the wrong at all for answering the question…and Shildt would know that too…i see no disrespect…Shildt is afterall an “interim” manager, he and everyone else knows…all he gets is the rest of the season…afetr that is a different conversation, and it isnt wrong for MOlina to answer question about that if he wants… had he said I coudl be player manager NOW…thatd be different

What question did he answer?

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

BHC,

Yep!

I’m smiling big time over Pop Warner as bench coach.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is 42 minutes long, but if you want to get to know about Mike Shildt, this is the best possible way – in his own words.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I got pulled away the first time and when I came back to finish, what stood out to me was the strength of Shildt’s admiration of Pham. He said there is not a player on the team he respects more. So it would certainly appear the new manager does not consider Pham a problem.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The thing about Pham is, at least from what I hear, his work ethic is tremendous.

As everyone on here knows, I have always been a Pham fan. You get a guy with five tools who works hard at his game, and you play him, it’s as simple as that.

I was disappointed in his knucklehead stuff that came about, but on the field the guy is all business. You can even see it on his face – he’s out there to get the job done.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Small sample but I like what I see of Shildt so far. He seems to value lineup stability and defense and I applaud both. The team seems looser around him too.

14NyquisT
    Participant

If Shildt plans on running Fowler out to RF on a regular basis to give him a chance to turn 1-1/2 years of poor play into becoming a spark for the team, he is not my idea of a good manager. Play your best guys. Fowler’s average has continued downward, Ks mounting. Brilliant.

bccran
    Participant

MM was under the microscope with every move he made.
    People who disliked him intensly couldn’t find one single nice word to say about him. That includes some journalists, who must have had a confrontation or two with him over the years (leading to their bias).

Shildt is on a honeymoon. Hope it lasts. We could use a good solid winning streak to gain some momentum.

NJ315
    Participant

Well I will the first to put a small cloud on the honeymoon. He left Lyons way too long in there. He had options but chose not to use them. I did not like walking Schwaber to load the bases but if he did then taking Lyons out right there had a better percentage for success.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No matter who our manager is they are going to have problems with this bullpen because it is a disaster. Are we supposed to let Hicks and Norris throw 150 innings each because we have nothing else?

I do see some differences with Shildt in regards to lineup construction, in-game management, and transparency with post game analysis. All are positive trends.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Our bullpen is cluttered with marginal performers. I suspect that Shildt is giving everyone a chance but apparently not a big one as Bowman was sent to Memphis after two lackluster efforts.

So far; Tui, Mayers, Gregerson OK

Cecil, Holland, Bowman and Lyons not so much.

Gant very good. Will start at least until C Martinez returns.

Will be interesting to see what shakes out.

What I see more than anything is a change in attitude with the players, much better at bats in spite of the fact that Shildt, Budda and Greer have not been in place long enough to make a big difference with the hitters. Also I suspect that he let Pham, Fowler, Ozuna and Wong know they were getting a fresh start, but have to produce. Interesting that Wong is batting sixth.

Defense is still shaky to say the least. Errors by someone as stable as Gyorko puzzling.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good post, Sooner. The only quibble I might have is drawing any special significance to Bowman being sent down. Reliever roulette has gone on all year and will continue until the 40-man roster undergoes change.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gregerson is OK?? I think we should re-think that analysis.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

McCarver was really impressed with Shildt’s decision to send the runners off first and second with Mikolas bunting with one out, saying he hadn’t seen the Cardinals do that in at least the last 10 years.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What I see out of Shildt is he seems giving players a clean slate with his hiring. I think kit was a mistake today, because Cecil has not pitched in many close games lately. And what was a close game, was game over by the time Cecil walked off the mound today.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My labeling Gregerson OK is strictly during the Shildt era.
    His line 2.1 innings pitched, 3 hits, 0 runs, one walk, and 3 k’s.

I’ll take it. Does that mean I am a big Gregerson supporter, no not at all. In fact I didn’t think they gained much in signing. But I give credit where it is due and I think Shildt will too.

It would have been wrong for Shildt to walk in and tell half the team that he was giving up on them because of the way they had performed. He seems to be giving all of them a chance. Some have reacted well. Others not as well and maybe they can’t do it anymore. We will probably not know how well Shildt does until late in the season and maybe not then. This may be his short claim to fame. I have always liked the guy since I watched a number of games when he was managing Johnson City. I wish him and the Cardinals well.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wasn’t criticizing Shildt. I have already seen several things about him that I like and I really hope he gets the full time gig but I have zero confidence in Gregerson, Cecil, Holland, Lyons, and Bowman. They are all wasting 40 man spots.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice article from Bernie about Shildt. It requires a subscription but basically says that the youth movement favors Shildt getting the full time job. I agree with this and I’m very much in favor of it. I was on the Girardi bandwagon at one time but I really like Shildt. There is no doubt this team is playing better. We just went 5-2 against two good teams. We don’t do that a few weeks ago.

https://theathletic.com/456883/2018/08/02/the-cardinals-focus-on-youth-movement-enhances-mike-shildts-chances-to-remove-interim-tag/

bccran
    Participant

I like Shildt too. Hope he does a good job and earns the position under a multi year contract. Bleeds Cardinal red.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

I thought Schildt did a good job today. The 7th inning was getting away from us, he had the quick hook and brought in the 3rd pitcher in the inning. Hicks induced a grounder to end the threat on two pitches…

Team just seems to be playing better right now…

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m still on the fence concerning Shildt, but I did come to one realization reading this thread….Sooner is a darn Gregerson lover!!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.