Hosmer/Moustakas free agents thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Hosmer/Moustakas free agents thread

Viewing 24 posts - 301 through 324 (of 324 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brantley had a nice 2018 but the two seasons prior to that were a disaster. His health is still a red flag for me. A guy like Markakis could give you similar numbers than Brantley and he never gets hurt. He is older but he is an iron man. A robot that you wind up and he plays 162 games.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Moustakas checks more boxes than most free agents not named Harper or Miller to me. In fact, they should have done it last year. I don’t understand any close comparison between Gyrko and Moose. Health wise Jedd averaged 126 games the last 2 year with 15 homers, 57 rbis, Moose averaged 33 homers and 90 rbis. Moose has had 6 of 7 seasons where he nearly played the whole year. Gyrko, possibly because of his thick body type, seems to get hamstring and groin injuries which really derailed his end of the 2017 season.

And I not saying this is all they should do. Obviously more is needed, but it would be a good start.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Moose would be a slight upgrade but should be a Plan C or Plan D. Personally I would rather sign Daniel Murphy for 1B than sign Moose for 3B.

Participant

LOL, two journey men and probably close to being over the hill. Yawn. Please can we get someone who might actually generate a smidgen of excitement.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Moose at 3b or Murphy at 1b as a secondary move to a bigger upgrade in the OF would be fine, but alone are big yawns for me

Participant

Paid - Annual

Nobody said they would be the ONLY moves. I highly doubt we are going to sign Harper or Machado, therefore, we will need multiple upgrades on a smaller scale. Guys like Moose, Murphy, Cargo, Markakis, etc… would qualify as such.

Donaldson would be on a little higher scale than those guys.

Goldschmidt would be on a much higher scale. You are talking MVP votes once you get to Goldy’s level.

Participant

Goldschmidt yes. Donaldson, no way. BTW, Murphy is intriguing, guy can hit a blackbird at midnight under heavy cloud cover.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Disgusting. If Moustakas is on this team next year, I hope they sell and tear it down. If it’s a one year, $5-7 million deal it might not be as sickening but multiple years have a significant Fowler possibility attached. He is not an upgrade. I’d rather just play Wisdom.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Moose + Harper

Then use farm and others for lefty bullpen help

Seems a fine plan

Moose doesn’t do anything for us alone outside of making our bench better with glorious in the backup corner infield position and giving us another lefty in the lineup with good defense

But as a part of Harper plus Moose. That really makes our lineup balanced and feared. Also helps bench and defense.

Money for hitters kids for proven and not injury ridden FA lefty help is a good plan.

I’d probably prefer swapping Fowler for Seager even with the extra year of Seager. It at least it moves Fowler and balances the ledger a little.

Nevertheless. Moose for 2yrs with 3yr team option would be fine as long as it’s a secondary move not a keystone answer to our MOTB need

Participant

Free

How does Seager improve over Gyorko? If it is only to get a left handed hitter, then it is a poor reason. If it is only to get rid of Fowler, then you are taking on additional salary every year for almost nothing in return. The only thing about Seager is he plays every day.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

According to the SABR Defensive Index for 2018, Seager was the #6-ranked AL third baseman at 2.0. That was just behind Moustakas at 2.2.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would want no part of Seager. Paying him for four years seems frightening.

I’m not overly excited about Moose either, but as has been pointed out, if he is just a complimentary move that is fine. If he is the main acquisition of the winter then we are in trouble.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I have never heard of Bill Michaels but he has a blue verified checkmark and 20,000 followers.

Regarding his rumor, why would the Cardinals add Moose now that they have Goldy? Crazy talk!

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Only scenario that makes sense to me is that Carpenter then goes to 2ndbase and Wong is the odd man out.

I don’t know about the rest of you folks but I am expecting good things from Wong in 2019.

r/Rat

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just say no to Moustakas. Just…no.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hard to believe that The Moose is still loose. He’s going to make some lucky club very very happy. I’m not only bullish on The Moose, but also Bill Michaels to boot……and also with your Kolten Wong having a banner year, Rat! Lace em up!

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Moose would be an expensive hedge against Carpenter not being worth his $18.5 million extension at the end of the year. However, given the pipeline it seems a 3 year deal seems unlikely unless they are bearish on Montero sticking at 3rd.

Participant

Paid - Annual

They could sign Moose and trade Gyorko?? It would be a great hedge against injury, but there still aren’t enough chairs for the dance, and I DO NOT want to see Carp at 2nd. This seems very unlikely.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Signing Moose at this point would make zero sense. Color me confused.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Moustakas goes back to the Brew Crew on a 1-year deal worth $9 million.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What to go, Bill Michaels. Other than the years and teams, you had it nailed!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

So Moose has costs himself roughly $16 million over the course of back-to-back offseasons.

OUCH!

Viewing 24 posts - 301 through 324 (of 324 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years