Hosmer/Moustakas free agents thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Hosmer/Moustakas free agents thread

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 324 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Unless he waits to sign until after the draft or Lynn signs with us. We’re getting some sort of compensation.

“If the team was not a revenue sharing recipient or the free agent signed for less than $50MM guaranteed, the team will receive a compensatory pick after Competitive Balance Round B, which takes place just prior to the draft’s third round.”

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

booyah is correct.

My bet is that Boras wanted Moose to hold out, but he wanted to play. Hence, he signed.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fangraphs takes aim at Boras.

Why Mike Moustakas’ Market Didn’t Develop

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

When is the deadline for setting the Draft? Is is the day of the draft? Just curious because Cobb, Arrieta, Lynn, and Holland are still left who got QOs and the draft can’t really get set until they sign.

We’ve never had to have these discussions before so I don’t know what the contingencies would be.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I believe it is when the draft opens, June 4.

Participant

Paid - Annual

What a strange offseason. Moustakas turns down $17M then ends up signing for $6M.

He is making less than Miles Mikolas this year.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The plot thickens…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Lets not forget that $6M is still a lot of money. Most people would be set for life if they could collect six million dollars in one year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes but in MLB terms $6M isn’t that much anymore for a proven player like Moose in their prime.

I’ve never understood why people complain about the money baseball players make but don’t complain about other entertainers. A movie star could make $30M for a big hit movie and no one will say a word about it. Yes the world would be better if school teachers and police officers made more money than entertainers but the market is what it is.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Another version of the Moustakas saga…

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/972553439623356416

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You can bet your paycheck the Nightengale version came straight from Boras’ lips.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

This was just bad advice from Boras. The market for corner infielders was thin this offseason and him telling Moose to pass up the QO was bad advice.

Participant

Paid - Annual

You can bet your paycheck the Nightengale version came straight from Boras’ lips.

I take it you are not a Boras fan.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ken Rosenthal reports the Cards have renewed interest in Moustakas. (Athletic subscription required.)

https://theathletic.com/413375/2018/06/29/rosenthal-cards-have-renewed-interest-in-moustakas-are-as-buyers-or-sellers-red-sox-yanks-rivalry-more-notes/

(Sorry for the late reply, gscottar. My only point on the (much) earlier comment, is that everything Boras says is designed to be in his clients’ (and therefore, his own) best interests. I just never lose sight of that.)

Participant

Free

not sure why we have interest in him now he isn’t hitting at all lately.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, I have figured out over time that the national writers usually have relationships built with agents and front offices, which is why they usually have the trade gossip and scoops first (although yes there can be agendas involved), but if you really want to deep dive into what is going on with a particular team it is best to get info from the local writers.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bumping this thread.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Moustakas would be a big downgrade for this team. Hard, hard pass for me.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In a podcast at ScoopsWithDannyMac.com posted tonight, Jon Paul Morosi said he sees Moustakas as a better fit for St. Louis than Donaldson. He also likes Michael Brantley, calling him a “perfect fit” for the Cards if Harper is too expensive.

Participant

Free

Speaking of Moustakas, let’s do a side-by-side comparison between Moose and a Mystery Man. This will only include the years 2016-18.

Moose 1,346 plate appearances
    Mys 1,321 plate appearances

Moose .260 average and a 109 wRC+
    Mys .259 average and a 111 wRC+

Moose turned 30 on September 11 (yeah, I know, happy birthday, ugh)
    Mys turned 30 on September 23

Assuming they are roughly equal defensively and on the bases, is there any reason anyone can see why a team with either of these guys would go out of their way to acquire the other one? They could not be more alike, really. One hits lefty and one righty but who the heck cares? They’re the same guy.

And yes, the mystery man is Jedd Gyorko. But I’m sure you already guessed that. Jedd’s solid, he’s fine, and he can even play second base and fake it at shortstop in a pinch. Moustakas is just an overrated slugger with a championship ring. He is no upgrade whatever.

I’m not completely opposed to Josh Donaldson though, not at all. He has a recent history of greatness on his side. As recently as 2017 in fact. (Moustakas on the other hand has never been great, ever.) With Donaldson on board for two years and Gyorko as superutility man, the infield could be terrific if J.D. were to get 2/3 of the way back to his 2017 hitting.

Then Elehuris Montero takes over the hot corner on Opening Day 2021. Or maybe even Gorman, if he’s as much of a phenom as he looked this year. (But better to give him at least a bit more time than that.)

Participant

Free

Can Brantley play RF?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes Brantley can play RF. He could potentially be a nice upgrade over Fowler but the big knock on him is can he stay on the field?

As for Moose, he isn’t a star but I would consider him an upgrade over Jedd. He has more power, he is more reliable, and he bats LH. Donaldson would be better but again that nagging health issue.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can’t imagine Moustakas being silly enough to wait out the field again and get stuck on a low ball one year deal. If he makes less than Gyorko I suppose that’s a very minor upgrade but on a multi year deal and at $10+ million a year he’s a downgrade. And it’s not like he’s iron man. He played a mere 27 games just two years ago.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Has Gyorko played a full season since coming to the Cards? I think not.Gyorko is best as a utility guy IMHO.Saying he is a good defensive 3B is laughable.He has the mobility of a statue.He is fine if the ball is hit right at him.He should be a complimentary player not a maqin guy.As for Moose I have mixed opinions….I like the LH pop but …….?

Participant

Paid - Annual

A big HELL NO on Brantley.No way.If Cards fail on Harper then I say go big on run prevention.Sign Jose Iglesias for SS and put DeJong at 3B.Upgrade bullpen from both sides and consider Kuechel for rotation.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 324 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years