2022 Gold Gloves

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Gold Gloves

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Oliver
    Participant

Free

Eddie finalist utility (along with Donovan) and at second base also. Goldy and Arenado also finalists.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I haven’t seen that yet Oliver, so thanks for posting. So if I can piece this info with what stlcard25 and I were discussing on another thread, it must be you are eligible for the one position where you have the most innings after the 141st game, not end of season. I said that might be the case, but as 25 and I were saying, the web site wasn’t clear on a couple of criteria. At the end of the season, Edman had more innings at SS. My guess now is that at the end of 141 games, evidently he had more innings at 2B and that’s what matters.

I also wondered if it is now possible for a player to win 2 gold gloves in the same year with the new utility gold glove. I think the information you posted shows it is possible.

Which by the way brings a trivia thought to mind — 1td are you listening? Name at least one of two players to have won a gold glove at different positions (but not in the same year like I was talking about above). One of those players is very familiar to many of us on this board.

GameCard
    Participant

Free
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Ha, I just read GameCard’s link. It gives the answer to my trivia question!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Since he is a rookie, well, it would have to be the first time in his career… still, a nice honor…

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Eddie should win the Utility award hands down…not close.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

ESPN will announce the winners at each position November 1st at 4pm CT.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The only early insight we have is the SABR Defensive Index, which is 25% of the Gold Glove scoring. But they won’t release the final SDI until after the GG Awards are announced.

In the last SDI, through August 28, NL 2B was:

1. Brendan Rodgers, COL 8.9
    2, Tommy Edman, STL 7.6

Across all positions, they were ranked fifth and seventh, respectively.

At 3B, Arenado was behind Ke’Bryan Hayes and Donovan was fourth.

Hayes 11.6 (second overall)
    Arenado 10.7 (third overall)
    Donovan 3.6

Goldy was fifth at 1B with a -0.4 SDI.

If these reflect the 75% manager/coaches vote, which they don’t and won’t, my conclusion is that Edman has the best chance to win among the four Cardinals, and it would be the utility award.

Of course, the voters can be unpredictable.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I said for the Utility award.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think that Arenado’s name recognition and excellent numbers will probably give him the edge over Hayes. Rodgers probably wins 2B, and Walker at 1B. Edman is pretty well a lock at the utility position.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I’d like to see Tommy Edman win a GG, but I’d rather see him win one for the 2B position. I don’t know exactly why, but it just seems odd to me to have a guy who led his entire team in AB’s, with 577, win a GG and have it awarded to him for a “utility position.” I guess it’s the terminology that throws me off. I’ve always thought of a utility type player as a guy who may possibly step into the batter’s box 200 to 300 times during a season. Maybe an Oquendo type or even Mike Ramsey. I understand they’re calling it a “utility position” and not a utility player, but it still seems odd to me. Oh well, I’m always reminded that the English language can be confusing every time I try to read and understand my health insurance plan. It’s all formulated and designed to confuse the average person and I suppose that’s where lawyers come into play…

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Eddie played almost the same amount 2B & SS which means he didn’t play enough at either to win. He is a lock for the multi-position award.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I interpret “utility” as someone who can and does play multiple positions while not holding any of them as his primary position. It doesn’t matter how many games he starts or at bats he gets. It only matters that he can be used at different positions. That is why I consider Edman a utility player. He might have become the starting SS for 2023 based on how 2022 ended but if circumstances change at that position, he switches to another position. It might be 2B. It might be CF or RF. As of today, he should occupy one of those 4 positions for most of the games in 2023.

Whit Merrifield is another example of a utility player.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

If these reflect the 75% manager/coaches vote, which they don’t and won’t, my conclusion is that Edman has the best chance to win among the four Cardinals, and it would be the utility award.

Of course, the voters can be unpredictable.

Evidently the voters don’t have a say on the utility award. It will be by a formula. Or so I read somewhere.

Otherwise, I was wondering the impact of Edman and Varsho being finalists for two “positions” (utility and their other one) and how that might help/hurt their chances with the voters. Many voters might think they’re deserving, but then their votes might get split across the two positions because a voter doesn’t think they deserve two awards. The formula-only approach for the utility position eliminates that possible issue.

I also wondered initially if they’d be eligible to win two gold gloves in a single year, and it looks like the answer is yes.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I’d like to see Tommy Edman win a GG, but I’d rather see him win one for the 2B position.

1td, see my post above. I think that makes it a realistic possibility Edman could win two GGs. Of if not him, then Varsho.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I do not view Eddie as a utility player at all. IMO, he was a starter at 2B until he was needed to start at SS. That is need base based…Donavan is a true utility player.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

forsche31…Yeah, I get it, but I’d say Edman is primarily a middle IF’er. I’ll also say that if he wasn’t shuttled between the 2 middle IF positions this past season, he would have qualified for a GG award at either one of them. I’ve said before that I saw our perrenial GG 3B’man have both more errors in judgement and more bad plays than I did Edman in ’22. Eddie’s one of the smartest and most well-grounded players I’ve seen in a while. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen him make a mental mistake.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

GameCard…That’s what I was driving at. It simply goes against my old fashioned way of thinking to call a guy that led his team in AB’s a utility guy. He had over 625 PA’s in ’22…Haha!

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I agree 1td.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Some people underestimate Eddie’s value.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

EuroDandy…I saw your trivia question and I actually knew Erstad was one of the guys. For the life of me I couldn’t come up with the other, so I looked it up. I couldn’t believe I forgot about our old friend Polanco…Haha! I need to drink more coffee…

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

EDIT: for my posts above addressing BW’s comment on voters where I said I read they were using a formula-only approach for the utility GG. I went back to look for the link, and now I’m not sure I’m right based on another thing I’ve read. It’s clear from what I read that they’ve devised a “special formula” unique to utility award, but I originally thought I saw a source that said that the formula would be the sole decider. Now I can’t find it, which probably means my old eyes were reading too quickly. Sorry about that, but please disregard those posts (#205034 & 205035). I would delete them if I could.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

GameCard…Now Donovan would be a guy that I would call a utility player, but he shouldn’t be. They need to hone his skills at 2B and get him about 500 AB’s in ’23

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Yes, 1td…Eddie needs to be the SS and Donavan at 2B for every meaningful game.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 141 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years