Giancarlo Stanton thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Giancarlo Stanton thread

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 621 total)
  • Author
    NJ315
    Participant

Can you guarantee him all those moves you’re advocating will happen? How can you sell plans to a player without any confidence they can happen? On a side note are you even sure the Cardinals are considering all those moves you keep bringing up? He has the money he wants and the no trade clause he needs I don’t see him coming here. I hope he does and think the Marlins would make deal with the Cards.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

My point was only that where a player prefers to go is not always where they end up and to me it’d be a waste of everyone’s time for the Marlins to take an offer from a team that there’s not a chance of Stanton going to…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

New article from the Miami Herald beat writer:

“Marlins warn Stanton: Accept a trade or you’ll be only star on stripped-down team”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/fish-bytes/article186954163.html

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A big question has no clear answer, per research by Eno Sarris.

David Ortiz, Jim Edmonds, Jorge Posada, Chipper Jones all played a similar amount of games per season before 28, and aged well. It’s hard to know how Giancarlo Stanton will age.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/we-dont-really-know-how-giancarlo-stanton-will-age/

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I cannot copy the full exchange here, but I have had a back and forth Stanton discussion on Twitter with my friend Craig Mish of SiriusXM.

Here is one nugget from Craig.

I asked a source yesterday if anything had changed w him accepting a deal to STL. Source said yes. I waited to confirm. Now I am not even sure if the yes was a “forced” yes or a real yes. So crazy.

Here are our Twitter feeds:

https://twitter.com/CraigMish
    https://twitter.com/B_Walton

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

OK, I summarized tonight’s news on the Stanton trade rumors in an article. Please read it now, before it is out of date! (free)

https://thecardinalnation.com/are-the-cardinals-chances-increasing-in-stanton-trade-talks/

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wow! Can’t help but let the imagination run wild.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, I hope I am not fanning the flames. I always try to look with a skeptical eye.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Former GM Steve Phillips makes an interesting observation.

That’s a bluff that is worth calling if you are Stanton. The #Marlins need to move him more than he needs to be moved. Miami can trade everyone else around him but in the end they will move him where he wants to go too. #power

https://twitter.com/StevePhillipsGM/status/935678805636763649

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

If Stanton does call their bluff and Jeter does not seem the type to go back on his word he is sure going to enjoy losing 100+ games in Miami and if he is ok with that then he needs to do what he needs to do, but Miami is not going to give him away just so he can go where he wants that would literally kill their franchise.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, both sides have leverage in what is a very complex situation. That is why I was not surprised when some estimated a trade would not get done quickly. There is a lot at stake for both parties.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Problem is nothing else is getting done because of this it seems either. When / if this finally gets resolved there are going to be a lot of domino’s fall in a short amount of time…just hoping Cards have a backup plan in place other than throw trash at the wall to hope it sticks.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Stanton is either going to the Dodgers or staying in Miami. We need to move onto Plan B.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

My guess is that Mo and company have given or will give Miami a deadline for this to be resolved. Most likely the start of the Winter meetings

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Oh gscottar you have talked to Stanton personally?

If not stop with the garbage of him going to dodgers or staying in Miami and posting it as facts!

Because lets face it if they want a big power bat, Staton is plan A, B C and D!

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Dodgers are already over the luxury tax. It would cost them 50M for 2018 alone to acquire Stanton. Everybody has limitations whether they are aware of those limitations, or not.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh gscottar you have talked to Stanton personally?

If not stop with the garbage of him going to dodgers or staying in Miami and posting it as facts!

Because lets face it if they want a big power bat, Staton is plan A, B C and D!

I’ve heard too many insiders state what his preferences are. I suppose he could pull a Verlander and change his mind at the last minute but I wouldn’t count on it.

It doesn’t matter if the Cards want Stanton or not. It doesn’t matter if the Marlins like what the Cards are offering. Stanton has all of the leverage here.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Dodgers are already over the luxury tax. It would cost them 50M for 2018 alone to acquire Stanton. Everybody has limitations whether they are aware of those limitations, or not.

The Dodgers have at least $60M coming off the books after 2018 so if they are really worried about the luxury tax they could tell Stanton to sit tight one more year and they will trade for him next winter.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

He doesn’t want to play for a loser so staying in Miami to be on the very worst team in all of baseball prob doesn’t sit well with him…he can be traded to a winner and play for 3 years and then opt out and go to Dodgers if he wants…

Your love affair with him going to the dodgers is comical at best.

NJ315
    Participant

You seem pretty sure that it will be the Cardinals…but just in case he decides against coming here…what would be your guess of an alternate destination? I know you think this is all but a done deal but maybe Boston? Giants? Yankees?

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

So far there seems to be only three choices for him, a trade to the Giants and have the team go into a full rebuilding mode which is something that he’s said that he doesn’t want to do, stay in Miami and play for a terrible team that is rebuilding which is also something that he’s said that he doesn’t want to do, or be traded to St Louis and play for a team that barely missed the playoffs and is probably only a few trades and free agents away from being good to great…

As for the opt out, or he could come here, love it and decide to stay…

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Thought this dinger by Stanton might be a good viewing for everyone.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Seems that the Giants are thinking of McCutcheon of the Pirates as a fallback guy in case they don’t get Stanton…

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Casey Stern is adamant Stanton will not go to St. Louis and suggest he holds the cards when it comes to him being moved. https://twitter.com/MLBNetworkRadio/status/935955532334157825

I guess he doesn’t think Miami would be willing to fire sell the rest of the team and would move Stanton regardless.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Matt Holliday says he would call Giancarlo Stanton to sell him on St. Louis if needed. (2 minute clip)

https://twitter.com/MLBNetworkRadio/status/936008259655348225

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 621 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.