Giancarlo Stanton thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Giancarlo Stanton thread

Viewing 25 posts - 551 through 575 (of 621 total)
  • Author
    RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Isnt JD Martinez still a free agent out there?

Participant

Free

Yeah but he wants a HUGE HUGE HUGE contract…like 7 years for 300 million or more…

As for the other free agents there’s really nobody out there that is going to worry opposing teams or be the star that we need, we needed a big bat and then to sign or trade for guys like Hosmer and Longoria to compliment that star, but by themselves they don’t make a huge difference for the team, we’re not underselling the team’s chances we’re just seeing that so far this offseason they’re following a plan that has lead to two consecutive years of missing the playoffs and often poor play, with really no one outside of pitchers in the minors that are going to change anything anytime soon…

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Well that’s too bad. But as the saying goes, sometimes the best trades are the ones you do not make. We’ll see if that is the case here.

Glad it’s over as well, and the club can move on. Stanton is looking only at clubs that look to be winners in the years until his opt-out. I can respect that. As one poster mentioned, that is why players put in the no-trade clause.

It will be interesting to see of the club can put together a plan B. But heck, maybe doing nothing will work out. It’s not inconceivable that Piscotty is much better than he was in ’17. Bader could be an ’18 version of DeJong. You just never know, but I would like to see some proven offensive talent added.

Participant

Free

I just don’t think that Piscotty and others are going to suddenly play much better than they did last year, it’s not inconceivable that they’ll play better but not much I’d expect…as for the trades that you don’t make, we’ve missed trades and free agents the last two years and both times been the worse for wear…

Participant

Free

Yeah it’s time for Donaldson.

Participant

Free

But would we trade away a lot to get him only to have him leave at the end of the season…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Giants beat writer for the SF Tribune, Hank Schulman, says this. (I am going to bed!)

Hear Stanton to Yankees is close if not done.

https://twitter.com/hankschulman/status/939369157992136704

Participant

Free

I didn’t know that they’d have enough money without going over the limit, just then wonder if he can handle being a Yankee as not everybody can…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To your point, here is a quote from a Miami media member.

If Stanton does go to Yankees, he will need to change his approach with the media. When he didn’t like things here he just wouldn’t speak to us or not be seen in clubhouse. That won’t fly in NYC.

https://twitter.com/WillManso/status/939477844366954496

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From Heyman:

sources: yankees and marlins have a deal for giancarlo stanton

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/939477495606366210

Participant

Free

As if I didn’t hate the Yankees enough already…

Shades of the Philadelphia As here. Jeter’s first trade is to give his Yankees the MVP and salary relief on crappy contracts? Unreal.

Participant

Free

So Jetsr is giving Stanton away to his former team from what reports are for pretty much nothing. How nice of Jetrr to give his former team an amazing deal like that. Talk about big old collusion what a joke

Participant

Free

Commish should wield his power and denied this joke of a trade

Participant

Free

This stinks to high heaven. I agree deals like this don’t happen this fast.

Participant

New York sports radio is abuzz with Stanton talk. Funny, it just started last night.

Mr. NY superhero is just trying to satisfy Stanton’s wishes. I wonder if getting Stanton will make the Yanks the odds-on favorites to win the AL Championship? They certainly picked a rabbit out of the hat on this move.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am amused by those assuming the Yankees will be out of the Harper hunt as a result of this trade. Never say never.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Miami supposedly get Starlin Castro( who is owed 27 million over next 2 years according to what i read).So i hope he Starlin doesnt unpack because i bet he isnt long for Miami.Marlins are getting unnamed prospects so far.I think Jeter flips Starlin Castro for more young prospects or cheap young players.
    This stinks as bad as all the old NY Yankee deals with KC Athletics in the late 50s early 60.Yankees used KC Athletics like a farm team.Jeter is looking like a complete joke so far.

Participant

When the Yanks have to make out Stanton’s checks they’ll realize their hunting days will be over for a few years…. as far as long-term superstars will be concerned.

Those rumors about the Halos dangling Trout may become a reality.

Participant

Free

No way in H should Jeter be allowed to trade with the team he loves end of story the commish should veto this garbage

Participant

Bw… I remember those 50s (Finley bought the As in Dec.60) KC/NYY transactions. Arnold Johnson was responsible for the 50’s trades. Johnson also owned Yankee Stadium and the NYY owned the Kansas City As during those years.

Do you think that that’s why Jeter bought the Fish? He can make a lot of cash that way, just like Johnson.
    Those two characters ruined the Phila As franchise. Johnson had ideas of moving the team to Los Angeles
    (before the Dodgers skipped).

Don’t think I have a good memory… I just looked it up.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Maybe Molina will tell him the owners are suckers?

Participant

Free

I am curious to see the ripple effect of Stanton moving to New York. This is what I find so entertaining about sports transaction, particularly baseball. One move can set off a series of variables impacting various organizations.

Miami Marlins
    – If the reports are complete and Miami is getting Castro back, the Marlins still have a lot of money to cut to get to the reports $55M-$80M payroll goal. Unless they unload Castro in a couple days, this move only clears about $12M-$15M off their $121M projected payroll. Castro is due close to $23M over the next two years, which is about a third of the $77M due to Stanton in the next three years. This means Miami might have to cut a little deeper into their roster to hit the payroll goals.

AL East
    – The addition of Stanton probably won’t impact the Rays or Red Sox offseason plans. However, this could have ramifications on the Toronto and Baltimore. Both have aging rosters and barren farm systems with MVP-caliber players at 3B entering a contract year (Baltimore also has a once dominate closer hitting the market after next season). Both have said been tepid about moving Machado or Donaldson, which could just be a negotiation tactic to drive up trade value. However, maybe they both planned on holding on to them in hopes of being competitive next season and going from there. Does this move dissuade those thoughts?

St. Louis
    – Where do they go from here. A guy mentioned a couple days ago as an alternative to Stanton was Khris Davis. He’s in the second year of arbitration right now and Oakland would probably like to unload him. He’s got power and can play LF. He’s not a star and is entering his 30 year old season. Conveniently, the Cardinals happen to have another OF, who is cost controlled, from the Bay area and was discussed with Oakland during the deadline last summer. I know Piscotty for Davis isn’t a thrilling move, but it would make some sense.

2018 Free Agency
    – Brian alluded to the Harper-Yankees connection earlier in this thread, but it is worth mentioning again. The 2018 free agent class has been discussed for a couple years now. This probably doesn’t take the Yankees off that market, but the idea of Harper getting $400M to play in the Bronx seems a little less likely. Where will some of these guy end up next winter?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Just want to mention that Stanton has only had one extraordinarily good year while playing in Miami. None of his of his other years was close to MVP caliber. Jeter is a genius for somehow finding a way to unload Stanton’s insane contract. Give the rest of the ownership group credit for not giving up, also. The Marlins needed this in order to get a fresh start.

Participant

Paid - Annual

How is Jeter the bad guy here? He would have gladly dealt Stanton to the Cards or Giants but Stanton said no. That isn’t Jeter’s fault. The Yanks were one of the few teams that Stanton would accept so Jeter did what he had to do. Stanton had all of the power.

Participant

He isn’t the bad guy. You’re are right he got rid of Stanton’s contract working under a full NTC. Mission accomplished.

Viewing 25 posts - 551 through 575 (of 621 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years