Giancarlo Stanton thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Giancarlo Stanton thread

Viewing 21 posts - 601 through 621 (of 621 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My primary question is whether MLB should have selected a financially stronger ownership group to take over the Marlins. I get the Jeter PR is a nice story, but it is hard to see how the franchise is going to get stronger any time soon. Saving your way to prosperity is rarely a winning strategy.

I totally agree Brian. MLB passed on other more financially stable options only to go with the big name of Jeter. Big mistake IMO.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

IMO, there wasn’t going be anything that the Cardinals could have said that would have swayed the decision. I am sure they stressed the young talent and hopes for the future, but 83 wins and third place is reality. All the blah-blah about how great it is going to be is just talk. The Yankees have some impressive talent to put around Stanton and a bigger payroll in the largest market. I’d like to see anyone sell around that.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Very true Brian. The only team that could have beaten the Yanks were the Dodgers and they seem to be handcuffed with payroll right now but that will change after 2018.

Imagine this scenario:

Next offseason the Yankees trade Stanton to the Dodgers for a big haul then turn around and sign Harper to a huge contract.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Dodgers were said to be more interested in signing Harper than Stanton.

And Brian – if all the Cardinals are ever selling is cost of living, they will never get free agents or guys with NTC’s to come here.

Edit: Well, they got Fowler to come here by paying about $6 million more than his market value, and they got Cecil to come her by offering a contract the whole industry thought was crazy, but we will never get elite players

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is silly to pretend like we know what the Cards said or did not say. They are not stupid people. They were going into a gun fight with limited ammo. Remember they made what was said to be the best offer to Miami. Stanton is also no dummy. He had made his mind up about the Cardinals long before meeting with their contingent, I bet. My guess is that he met with SF and StL at Miami’s request as part of due process. He knew all along that he could get to where he wanted. It was only a matter of when. No need for him to compromise and he did not.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

What does all of this mean for Matt Holliday? Is he retiring now? Looking to sign with someone else as a DH?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m thinking Harper would rather hit to the short porch of Yankee Stadium rather than cavernous Dodger Stadium.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This probably had nothing to do with Holliday. It was unlikely he was going to be brought back by the Yankees. His agent Scott Boras says he wants to play in 2018.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Not really disappointed STL didn’t get Stanton. He’s had a bad history of injuries and isn’t getting any younger. He’ll face tougher pitching as a Yankee than he did as a Marlin, I believe, so his performance may have peaked as well with this trade, but we’ll see. He will now get to play at Fenway several times a year, so that will offset some of the tougher pitching. I’m glad he didn’t end up in Houston, which I think was one of his top 3, because they would be unbeatable w/him on the roster.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

What is hurting the Cardinals, IMHO, as far as selling a free agent on the club are: The downward trend in the team’s success coupled with the Cubs ascent, stronger core roster and better manager; the area is usually listed in those “worst places to live” surveys; perhaps a reputation for a poor clubhouse atmosphere, maybe having to do with manager-player relations.

The second one might not be much of a factor as MLB players will be able to live in the best area of the region, and thus insulated from any social unrest that is of concern to people relocating who have less resources.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

https://sports.yahoo.com/giancarlo-stanton-blocked-giants-cardinals-trades-werent-ready-win-212016552.html

“Afterward, he elaborated to reporters who asked more about the Giants and Cardinals, confirming that he thought they weren’t close enough to win a World Series immediately.

“Yeah, I would say that, I just I felt like I was, I would have been putting it over the hump rather than jumping into a team already prepared to be there,” Stanton said. “So I want to put any team over the top, obviously, but they already got one game away from going to the World Series. So I feel like I can come in and help.”’

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

3 extremely salty Giancarlo Stanton quotes about the Marlins from his Yankees press conference

“We spoke about the direction of the team,” Stanton told reporters. “I wanted us to go forward and advance with the pitching staff. I thought our lineup was legit and we needed help with our pitchers, to add and not subtract. The way they wanted to go was subtract.”

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ben-frederickson/stanton-speaks-says-he-wasn-t-a-fit-for-cards/article_0e329830-9506-52a6-80bb-bbdbef541858.html

“They’re historic franchises, so I knew that they would figure out how have a great product on the field within a few years, but I wanted to be ready this year,”

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Stanton has played eight years with no playoff appearances. He has 10 years remaining on his contract. Why did the single year of 2018 become so important? I hope that isn’t his real reason.

One year ago, the Yankees were coming off an 84-win, fourth-place season. With that logic, he wouldn’t have gone there at this time last year. Sorry, but I don’t believe it.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

He had to put the PR spin on so that he didn’t become the most hated player in those 2 towns.

The plain truth is he did not want to come to St. Louis or San Francisco. He got to choose his team and has to make it sound like he actually thought seriously about going to the teams. He might have went to the Giants if they stood a chance to win.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

his 4 choices were:

Dodgers (home town and huge money to buy anythign they want including international prospects)…and Yankees.,.. big media market and more money to fix problems…and to be fair a good long reputation of winning or at least spending enough to win…

and

Cubs and Astros…flavors of the week…teams torn down who took advantage of picking in the top 5 or higher for a long time…add in a little payroll muscle BECAUSE of that and you have a destination that seems exciting right now…and who woudlnt be…. BUT Stanton’s contract is 10 more years… both of those organizations will start to fade as they have to start moving their young cheap players so they can afford them OR actually pay them (ala the Rays flourish earlier in the 2010s)…and Stanton;s contract will hurt them long term

the only teams he could really consider would be NYY and LAD…who have more money to and are willing to overspend to fix their problems…and more importantly the only teams who would be happy paying Stantons contract when he starts to slide some…

I just think it is poor that he took meetings with the Cardinals and Giants and led them on…including the Marlins… i dont care if he has every right to do it or not… he knew he was either going home to LAD or going to NYY where he can be a star

the Marlins shoudl have just sat on him…and traded all the players around him… they are rebuilding anyways and wont compete for a while so getting max out of all the players around him he’d be left alone and SEE that happening…i bet his tune woudl have changed when the players protecting him from potentially getting intentionally walked every AB were Prado and Derek Dietrich

trade Ozuna while he watches…then trade Realmuto and Ozuna and Bour….he’d be begging to go to the Cardinals or Giants while he gets walked every AB for a team that would lose 100+ games…

but instead they tried to strongarm him and didnt back it up…and instead caved immediately for nothing of value but saving some money…him reporting to Marlins camp with no one but AAAA players around him whiel he looks across the field and clubhouses at the Cardinals and their HOFers helping every day and new players and full stadiums for ST and he’d be singing a different tune…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Most are probably tired of Stanton, but I wanted to put my comments from last night in one place.

https://thecardinalnation.com/was-stanton-honest-about-st-louis/

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

IMO, there are definite indicators that Stanton could be a head case. I wouldn’t wish 10 years of having to live with that on any franchise. Stanton is not bigger than the fan base, not bigger than the game itself. But his words and actions give me the idea that he thinks he is.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Stanton called Jeter’s bluff. I wonder what would have happened if Jeter had called Stanton’s.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jeter didn’t have a bluff to call. Stanton enjoyed living in Miami and would have stayed there until Jeter and the front office caved. Stanton knew he had all of the leverage.

This article was an interesting read. I knew he never had any intentions of coming to St. Louis and I stated so repeatedly.

Viewing 21 posts - 601 through 621 (of 621 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.