Giancarlo Stanton thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Giancarlo Stanton thread

Viewing 25 posts - 576 through 600 (of 621 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Yeah Jetrr only GAVE the MVP away for peanuts or less to his team that he loves yeah no collusion there at all folks

Participant

There is no collusion. Stanton said yes to the Yankees.

Participant

Free

I guess he gave away Stanton, but he also gave them a $265M liability. I understand when looking at player value changing hands, the deal looks lopsided. However, that is what happens when giant contracts are included. It’s just part of the business. Negotiation leverage. If the Marlins would have been willing to eat a giant chunk of his contract and possibly not move Stanton, they most certainly could have hauled in better prospects. But, that was not the case. Cost control is a major aspect of player movement. It is why Chris Sale and Adam Eaton pulled in giant hauls for the White Sox last year. It is also why Chris Archer is an unrealistic trade target. His contract is so team friendly and he’s under control for several years, the Rays can leverage that value to ask for more and better prospects.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I doubt the Yankees lead the AL in stolen bases next year.

Participant

Free

Commish should veto this joke of a trade made by a former yankee player to the Yankees for zero end of fing story it is terrible for baseball

Participant

Paid - Annual

Commish should veto this joke of a trade made by a former yankee player to the Yankees for zero end of fing story it is terrible for baseball

Your argument really makes no sense.

Jeter tried to send Stanton to the Cards: STANTON SAID NO
    Jeter tried to send Stanton to the Giants: STANTON SAID NO
    Jeter would have gladly sent Stanton to the Dodgers: DODGERS DIDN’T MAKE A GOOD OFFER
    Jeter then did what he had to do and sent Stanton to the one team that would eat most of Stanton’s contract and that Stanton would agree to go to. There is nothing to investigate.

Participant

Free

Nothing to investigate only getting zero value in return on the best player in the na last year yeah nothing to see there he GAVE away he mvp to his love of his life team for nothing st all

Participant

The Yankees took 265 million that’s hardly giving him away.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Its refreshing to see Derek Jeter is still helping the Yankees win championships even after retirement.

Participant

Free

I think some people would have been surprised by how little the Cardinals would have given up to acquire Stanton. I know reports had Alcantera going to Miami, but he may have been the centerpiece of the deal. You look at what San Francisco was reportedly offering and that was not much either. The Marlins were not looking to get talent back for Stanton, in any deal. They were looking for someone to take that contract. This deal with the Yankees required even less in terms of players because Stanton was only, realistically, going to accept a move to LA or New York. This is how deals go when money has to be moved.

Participant

Free

Miami shot themselves in the foot when they announced Stanton had to be traded. They lost any leverage they may have had.

Participant

Free

No Miami got exactly what they wanted, salary relief. They are going to take the Astros approach of tanking and drafting high for a few years. Their remaining pieces will bring the prospects. Watch for Ozuna to be next out of the door.

Participant

Free

Miami settled for debt relief. Had they not announced they wanted to dump the salary at pretty any cost it costs them the ability to get higher prospects.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Agree with those who say Miami did what they had to do with Stanton. The primary goal was to get that liability off the books. The organization needs to clean up their balance sheet and do what it can to remain solvent.

Besides, they got a pretty darn good player back in Starlin Castro. This is the business of baseball today. With players salaries so high, that is often a bigger component in driving a trade than talent. And besides, you never know on talent. Many times teams expected to be bad are pretty good, and vice versa.

But the point is, the Marlins did what they had to do. Stanton had a list of only four teams he was accept trades to, and they made a pretty good deal with one of them getting out from under that liability, and adding Castro, who will be a nice upgrade from Dee Gordon at second.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I would not assume Castro is remaining with Miami. If they get a decent offer, I bet he is a goner.

Participant

This is what happens when teams bite off more than they can chew in long-term deals involving beaucoup bucks.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My primary question is whether MLB should have selected a financially stronger ownership group to take over the Marlins. I get the Jeter PR is a nice story, but it is hard to see how the franchise is going to get stronger any time soon. Saving your way to prosperity is rarely a winning strategy.

Participant

Free

If this was the Cardinals sales pitch to Stanton, it is no wonder he didn’t come here. The Cardinals obviously didn’t learn anything from Jason Heyward’s story about how the Cubs sold him on a vision to win multiple championships…

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinals-resume-search-for-impactful-way-to-change-our-team/article_924e17c4-fd35-55d5-9516-462e07f33f22.html

“John Mozeliak recited a familiar brochure: centralized travel, cost of living, 3 million fans, spring training location, even thin traffic. He also conceded their “playbook” needs an update.”

“I still think that St. Louis is a very attractive place to be. I still think it’s a desirable place to play, and when we sit down with that agent or that player, that’s what we’re selling,” Mozeliak said on the radio show. “Ultimately that is the challenge for team operators — to make sure that you stay relevant, to make sure that you still stay desirable. We had a playbook that we could use 15, 20 years ago that is changing. Why is it changing? People got smarter. People got more money. We do need to reflect on that and know that as the landscape changes, the St. Louis Cardinals have to go with it.”

Participant

So what was the right sales pitch?

Participant

Free

And yes, MLB should have chosen a financially stronger ownership group.

Mas is a businessman, Jeter was a player. Mas could write the check himself, Jeter’s ownership group went through 60 permutations, and is currently seeking additional investors.

Mas indicated he would sustain the losses and turn the team around. He was going to reach out to the Cuban community. He was going to market the team (he also owns a marketing company).
    EDIT: I should have finished the thought: Jeter’s plan, which he shared with baseball, was to cut payroll

Now, it is going to take another 10 years for the Marlins to put a quality team on the field.

Tampa Bay is the 11th largest media market, Miami is the 16th, St. Louis is the 21st. Yet Tampa and Miami get revenue sharing for being “small markets”. Just like Oakland does even though it’s in the 5th largest market. Team owners decided the way to maximize profits was to plead small market and accept $50 million per year in corporate welfare from teams that try to put a winning product on the field.

While the sale to Jeter was great for valuations, MLB cost owners far more by not choosing the viable ownership plan.

Participant

Free

So what was the right sales pitch?

Really? I would think you would want to show him how you are going to build a team around him that wins championships rather than talk about cost of living. But that’s me.

Participant

So you’re 28 and millionaire and your dream is to play for the team you were a fan of growing up and going back home. It can’t happened but you have a full NTC so you push. Your second thought is ok then I will go to a team that I have can fun playing for in a city that I can have fun and I can win. The only advantage the Cardinals had was you will save a lot of money. He said from day one I don’t want to play in St. Louis. His life his choice. It is not management fault no matter how you spin it. Heck if I were 28 baseball superstar I would choose the Yankees under the same circumstances.

Participant

Free

The Marlins screwed the city to build that stadium and the ownership group can’t handle the costs to operate a team? Mlb screwed Montreal and now it looks like Miami as well.

Participant

Free

@NJ315 – the fact that he listened to the Cardinals at all indicates he was willing to consider it.

I agree, NYC, LA and Chicago are all better cities than STL. Houston wouldn’t be my choice, but whatever. It’s bigger than St. Louis and there is no state income tax and they just won a WS.

Some people close to him said that people were underestimating how important winning was to him. You have the last two world champions, the Dodgers who won 104 games and are his childhood dream, and the Yankees who won 92 games in the toughest division in baseball while undergoing a rebuild.

Meanwhile, you have the Cardinals, who won 86 games selling you on cost of living. Okay.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Nothing to investigate only getting zero value in return on the best player in the na last year yeah nothing to see there he GAVE away he mvp to his love of his life team for nothing st all

You obviously have no idea what is going on. The Marlins were more interested in debt relief than acquiring high ranking prospects. They did what they had to do.

Viewing 25 posts - 576 through 600 (of 621 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years