Giancarlo Stanton thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Giancarlo Stanton thread

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 621 total)
  • Author
    LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

I’d hate to lose Stanton to the Giants and then see that their winning bid was like a hair’s width above ours, leading to Mo signing some nobody for to much money and proclaiming him just as good or better for our team makeup or some crap like that, then to watch the team miss the playoffs again and do it all over again next offseason…still saying that if we don’t make the playoffs this season the whole front office and Matheny should get the boot the day that the season ends if not before…

NJ315
    Participant

Stanton has a say on this.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

I know he does, however if the Giants have to trade away their stars to sign him then they’ll be in a rebuilding mode, something that he’s said that he wants to avoid so…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Stanton wants to play for the Dodgers. He can tell Derek Jeter to either work out a trade with the Dodgers or he will just stay in Miami and there is nothing the Marlins can do about it. Stanton has all of the power.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Yeah he has power to continue to play for a loser

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

He also has the power to “rough it out” for another year (while making a cool $25 MM) to see if his market better develops in 2018. Though one could argue that his stock cannot be much higher than after an MVP year, he isn’t completely in control – if he is fixated on one location. When it gets to that, it would be very interesting to hear about the game of poker to be played between Jeter and him.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Another thing to possibly consider is that AT&T Park isn’t exactly a homerun haven. I doubt he would hit 50+ dingers if he plays half his games in San Francisco.

r/Rat

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

SF is a slightly more friendly HR park than Marlins park and only slightly worse than STL.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jon Heyman shares insider info on the Marlins’ business plan.

https://www.fanragsports.com/heyman-marlins-seeking-investors-with-project-citrus/

KylMss
    Participant

Free

Read some mention of the Marlins possibly trading Justin Bour, too. IF, the Cardinals can work out a deal with Miami and Stanton can be convinced to waive his NTC to play in St. Louis, I wonder if the Cardinals could get Bour added to the deal. He’s entering the first year of his arbitration years and is controlled through 2021. However, he is also 29 and due a raise. Maybe he could be a throw in, if the Cardinals are asked to pick up a large chunk of his salary. Could solve two problem areas in the lineup and the field.

Just throwing this out there for further discussion. Stanton still seems like a long shot to me, but a fan can hope.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The only ideas that are crazy are the ones Jeter thinks are crazy. I wonder if he told other teams what it would take to get a deal done or if the other teams are left to guess? So many questions…

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Can’t believe that it has been 4 days since a Stanton post

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is real movement from Jon Morosi.

“Sources: Giancarlo Stanton’s camp has given #Marlins a list of teams to which he would accept trades. #Dodgers are among them. To this point, Stanton has not formally rejected any trades.”

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/935213521423536128

I wonder how pivotal the word “formally” is. Does this mean he informally rejected some? I guess it could be interpreted that by specifying locations, that is kind of what he is doing – or at least heading them off.

Of course, the next scramble will be to try to learn which teams are on Stanton’s list.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Don’t you think that he’d give them that list before they’d go through the trouble of getting offers from teams, as why even bother if it’s a team that Stanton wouldn’t accept a trade to…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Morosi provides more details.

“Giancarlo Stanton trade is not imminent, sources say. While his camp has given #Marlins a list of acceptable teams, indications are the group may be negotiable. Thus, the free-agent logjam persists.”

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/935221568782954501

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Mo & Girsch just have to show him how to win three WS in three years, opt out, and get an even bigger deal!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I posted a couple of comments in the Trade thread and should have posted them here. I will re-post them now.

Being able to provide the best deal to the Marlins is only half of the battle. They then have to persuade Stanton to waive the NTC to come here. Good luck with that. Jim Bowden has stated three weeks in a row on MLB Front Office that he thinks Stanton will either go the Dodgers or stay in Miami because those are the two places he wants to live. Jim Duquette predicts Stanton to the Cards by the way.

I hear what you are saying but we only have so much control in this. We could offer Miami Reyes, Weaver, Alcantara, Hudson, Kelly, Grichuk, Piscotty, and Diaz, but if Stanton doesn’t want to come here then it doesn’t matter.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jerry Crasnick adds more rumor talk.

#STLCards and #SFGiants — the two most prominently mentioned Stanton suitors — aren’t the only teams actively involved in a pursuit of the NL MVP. Several other unspecified clubs have engaged with the #Marlins. (Yep, “mystery teams.”)

A couple of MLB teams have gotten the sense there could be a resolution to the Giancarlo Stanton situation by the winter meetings Dec. 10. (Either the #Marlins trade him by then, or interested teams determine it’s time to branch out and more actively explore their Plan B’s).

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/935245729739755522

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/935245506799792128

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Brian Walton

Keymaster

Morosi provides more details.

“Giancarlo Stanton trade is not imminent, sources say. While his camp has given #Marlins a list of acceptable teams, indications are the group may be negotiable. Thus, the free-agent logjam persists.”

I would think that some of the negotiation on Stanton’s behalf would depend on the trade details and how that affects the teams involved. In other words, if the team trading for him gives up so much that they are a marginal playoff team for the next few years, how does that help him decide to go there. Also, if that team restocks the Marlins and they now become a formidable opponent, he has another obstacle to win a WS. It is in his best interest to be traded for the smallest package possible. Although, he MAY feel an obligation to make sure the Marlins are in a good place for the future.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

That’s why I like including Wong & Pham for Gordon & Ozuna as part of the Stanton trade – minimizes damage to the farm system.

You can always add kickers to the deal like Aledmys Diaz (former All-Star SS), Mike Mayers (major league-ready), Connor Jones (former 2nd rd pick)…And you still don’t gut the farm, but make it a no-brainer for the Marlins…

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

My opinion. Pham + Wong = or> Ozuna + Gordon and much cheaper as well as more control years.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I think you both agree, CC. If I interpret C2016 correctly, he would let Miami win that part of the trade so he (as the Cards) could include less in prospects heading to Miami in the overall transaction.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

I think the way to keep the farm system in tact as much as possible AND convince Stanton to accept the trade is to also trade for Ozuna & Gordon.

Here is one article showing what the Cardinals have to overcome from the front office:
    https://www.bnd.com/sports/mlb/st-louis-cardinals/cheap-seats-blog/article186682008.html

And here is another suggesting they need TWO middle-of-the-order bats (I consider Ozuna a MOTO, but not Pham)

Cardinals Winter Meetings Mission: Two Big Bats and a Reliever

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Which lineup would you hate more as an opposing pitcher:

1. Gordon, Carpenter, Ozuna, Stanton, Fowler, DeJong, Molina, Gyorko, Pitcher
    2. Carpenter, Pham, Fowler, Stanton, Molina, DeJong, Gyorko, Wong, Pitcher

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I wouldnt bat Molina ahead of Dejong in either lineup. Why are you looking only at offense? But to answer your question, I’d be pretty much indifferent as a pitcher and prefer #2 as a GM or even a fan.

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 621 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.