Wainwright to DL

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Wainwright to DL

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really struggle with this issue …. I really appreciate all that Adam has done for the Cardinals and the career he has put together. Having said this, Adam has not been healthy and has not been able to put together a strong season for three years. Will he be capable of doing so at age 38? I hate to see beloved players end their careers on a whimper … A shadow of the player we grew to admire and look forward to seeing play. Sometimes you need to walk away.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

he is rehabbong so he is going to get a chance again with the Cards in some fashion as long as he progresses well enough…if he was done he’d be done and that’d be it

whether anyone around here likes it or not and whether he should or shouldn’t, he is going to pitch for the Cards again this year folks…in what capacity i have no idea, for how long i have no idea….but he is going to pitch (barring an injury on the rehab)

IMO i think he coudl still be a very good reliever…even beyond this year, as long as his arm can retune itself to throwing an inning orr two every other day on average… even in the last 2 years when he was “down” he still could carve through an opposing team the first time through with his assortment of pitches…his curve is still nasty and he could make for an intriguing closer type guy if he wanted too…his stuff still works, i just dont know if he will ever be healthy or strong enough to go 5+ innings again consistently

Participant

Paid - Annual

As much as I like Wainwright and what he has done for the Cards I have serious doubts he will ever be effective in any role from now on.A best a long relief blowout guy to eat a couple of innings to save other arms.I sure don`t want to remember him as a punching bag for other teams .It wpould be great to see him come back and be effective but with his basic average to below average performance the last couple of years and his recurring arm injuries I have serious doubts.

Participant

Wainwright took the baton from CCarpenter as the ace of the staff. If he doesn’t do well enough with his rehab to be able to be a starter, I think he hangs ’em up. I can only picture Adam in the dugout having a great time… not sitting out in the bullpen.

However, his love for the game and being a great competitor he might just try to sit out there and joke around with the younger guys.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would imagine the Cardinals will give Adam a chance to pitch in front of the home fans at least once more but he had better have decent stuff because we can’t afford any meltdowns if we want to have a chance at a playoff spot. He deserves to get on the mound again but it needs to be choreographed correctly as to not put the team in jeopardy.

He kind of reminds me of when we signed John Smoltz at the end of his career. You knew he didn’t have much stuff but it was hard not to root for him because of everything he had accomplished.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

89mph fastball doesn’t sound very encouraging to me.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Your smoltz / wainwright opinion…. Spot on.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

smoltz offered plenty in his time with us…was pretty dominant out of the pen… I think the Waino Smoltz comparison is on point…but more in the way of how effective Waino could be in transitioning to that role

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Palm Beach radio announcer asserted Wainwright hit 95 in his first outing, but I have seen no collaboration of that. I would trust the numbers above.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Since Wainwright wasnt exactly fooling a lot of hitters before his latest injury I have very serious doubts he can come back in ANY EFFECTIVE ROLE.Guts and heart can only do so much... if you don have the stuff ……….then you simply are not capable anymore..I don`t want to see Wainwright end up like Mike Maroth.Trying to finesse and dance and struggle thru every batter.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

actually Waino was fooling a lot of hitters, just not the 2nd and third time through

pitch speed seems just fine for Waino, that’s where he was pitching at when he was effective last year in the rotation, it dropped later as the season went on…

for an inning his stuff is still devastating…and the ability to throw 5 pitches at such varied speed makes him a potential Ace for the pen…

without the ability to get a good read on Waino from earlier ABs I think his offspeed and breaking stuff is a great set for the pen…or as TB has been doing an “opener”…

i could see a September game where we see:
    Waino for 2-3 innings
    CMart for 2-3 (always struggles in the 1st so give him the 3-5)
    Hudson for 2-3
    matchup inning Shreve/Webb + Brebbia/Leone (if necessary)
    Hicks (if necessary)
    Norris

you can pull Waino or Cmart almost immediately and with September callups we will have an amazingly deep bullpen of strong and lengthy arms

Without the ability of the opposing team to face any pitcher more than once in the lineup (pull them if they start to hit them which might get them to 2 ABs)…breaking stuff, and offspeed stuff could be killer… Waino has that

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wainwright will start Sunday for Memphis, according to the P-D. His role with St. Louis is still TBA.

Update: Wainwright’s next start is Monday, instead.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mo just said on the Danny Mac podcast that Waino will get 2-3 more starts in the minors and then come back into the St Louis rotation.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The skeptic in me sees this as a delay to minimize the number of starts he makes for St. Louis. The optimist sees it as trying to ensure he is as ready as he possibly can be. Reality is probably a portion of both.

If he has three more minor league starts, the soonest he would rejoin St. Louis is September 11. That also delays the 40-man roster decision longer (waiting for another season-ending injury rather than shedding a player).

A side benefit is that it significantly strengthens the weakened Memphis rotation during the start of the PCL playoffs. I am sure that was not lost on them.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

with the potential depth of the pitchign staff, no matter the role Waino comes back to it shoudl be dynamic enough to deal with any poor outings

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Four more strong innings for Memphis tonight. 0 R, 3 H, 2 BB, 4 K, 61 pitches/38 strikes.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think it is good for him to get a couple more starts at least. I would rather see him in a relief role. He would give Shildt another arm that could pitch multiple innings.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

didnt that podcast say he will come back to the rotation?

i think he’d be awesome in the pen…but if that isnt the plan, and it looks like he is continuing to get starts so i doubt he comes back to the bullpen first at least

and in fairness…he has been pitching well in his rehabs…if he can only go 4 innings, by the time he comes up in September we will have plenty of arms to make the other 5 innings NOT a drag on the pen if needed

i said it before, i think he coudl really be valuable in the pen…as a one inning guy who pitches every 3rd day-ish…maybe every other day… OR as a starter for one time through the lineup, and then a hand off to the kids…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I forgot to mention that yesterday, I expanded my thoughts first posted here into an article.

Adam Wainwright’s Next Steps Clearer

Participant

When will Waino pitch again in Memphis? I am only 75 miles north of there, may run down and see him throw.

UConn CardUConn Card

Paid - Annual

wagee,
    Yesterday was Memphis’ final home game of the regular season.

Waino is likely to start on Saturday, Sept 1st at Nashville

IF he makes another start after that, it would be during the play-offs, on the road

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years