Wainwright to DL

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Wainwright to DL

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

CC with the ‘hot-take’

The funny thing is, Waino didn’t even say anything about wanting sympathy.

14NyquisT
    Participant

This is a question I posed to D.Goold yesterday.

Percentage wise: the # of teams Flaherty would be starting for?
    by John Baker 3:46 PM yesterday

Better question: How many contenders would he start for? Let me give this a thought. About nine that I can think of off the top of my head with some help from colleagues here.
    by Derrick Goold 3:50 PM yesterday

He said 9 for Flaherty. That’s 9 out out +/- 18. But its probably more than 9. Of the other 29 teams, Flaherty would probably be starting for 23/24 teams.

I asked a follow up question which wasn’t answered.

How many contending teams would have Mikolas or Wainwright in their rotations? Thoughts?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It wouldn’t surprise me to see the Cardinals “hide” Waino and Cecil on the DL most of the year. I’m sure they can come up with some ailments to justify it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT posted on the general rumors thread about the idea of moving Wainwright to the bullpen to make room for Flaherty in the rotation. I started to put my reaction there, but instead am posting it here, since it is a continuation of the prior discussion on this thread.

My view is the idea of moving Wainwright to relief at this time has so close to a zero chance of actually happening, that I don’t need to read another article about it.

Like it or not, we all know that Wainwright will be given every chance to start – either until after he proves he should not, is injured or reaches the end of his contract, whichever comes first.

FWIW, I think a six-man rotation is slightly more viable, but the articles that lay that out show the other pitchers get shuffled around a lot. I am not sure how the starters would react. Men, not machines is my theme of the morning.

NJ315
    Participant

As long as they don’t resign Waino even with a very good season I am fine with him this year.

grayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

“As long as they don’t resign Waino even with a very good season I am fine with him this year.”

I get it, waino hasnt been waino really since 2014..but hes gotten his thank you contract, and im sure he doesnt want to sign elsewhere. If he stays healthy he can certainly be an asset, and i think we could use him for a cheap one year contract.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In January at Winter Warm-Up, Mozeliak was asked that very same question by a fan in the Main Tent – the prospect of Wainwright getting another contract if he has a good 2018.

I am paraphrasing his reply from my written notes rather than going back into the audio, but this is pretty close to his words. I was a bit surprised by the candor.

Players eventually have to get off the train. We usually have to tell players when it is the end. Wainwright has been a great Cardinal and we hope we can keep him around in some capacity.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Unless Waino turns back the clock five years I can’t see the rationale for bringing him back next year unless it was an extremely team friendly deal ($5M or less). We just have too many young pitchers knocking on the door that don’t need to be blocked.

The Yankees brought back Sabathia on a one year $10M deal after his big contract expired. I wouldn’t offer Waino that much. No disrespect to him but this is a business not a charity.

NJ315
    Participant

I agree no reason to bring Waino back.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Looks like Flaherty for Saturday’s start against the Pirates, though not yet official.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Seriously…. you need a thought process to bring Flaherty up. The next processing will be that they need to keep him with the Cards.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wainwright’s return not imminent.

Or is it close? Hard to tell…

PadsFS
    Participant

Why wouldn’t they rehab him after all these times that he comes back without rehab and struggles.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Because he has to agree to the rehab and may very well not want to do it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wainwright will be starting for Springfield in Monday morning’s game.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Strange. It sounded like he looked great. Abnormal soreness the day after? He wants more bbq?

858booyah
    Participant

Free

It indeed sounded like he did ok. However it was against AA competition and who knows if he’s in game shape. He hasn’t pitched in 3 weeks. So maybe they feel another rehab outing is needed for stamina.

So we now know why Gant hasn’t been optioned.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Still should have optioned Gant and then called up Flaherty for the start

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think many people expected more from Gant, including Matheny.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Father time has done the damage. The only question remaining is whether Waino spends his last year with the Cards in the bullpen or not.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Retirement was in order during the offseason. Now DL him and hold the ceremony later. That way he can help with the younger kids as they come up.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wainwright is heading back to St. Louis.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Did it just start barking on him the last batter? If not, why the hell did he pitch to about 5-too-many batters?

Well, I think I just answered my own question where Matheny says “we found out later.” I’ll call BS on that one. As someone said in the game thread, Wainwright was tossing eephus pitches up there. Things didn’t look right for quite a while before he got pulled.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.