Wainwright to DL

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Wainwright to DL

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wainwright reportedly injured his left hamstring while running sprints – same as Gregerson.

Wacha will start in Game 2 of the regular season in Wainwright’s place.

Now, three players to go onto the DL – Wainwright, Reyes and Gregerson.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I dont get it. With the off days on the 30th, why not just go with 4 starters on regular rest until the 5th and add Bader. If Wainwright is not ready on 5th (when he should be able to come off the dl), send Bader down and call up Flaherty.

Participant

Actually, I feel better about the rotation already. Gant becomes the #6 starter?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I guess they want Flaherty with them to prepare, which I would understand, but they could do that whether he is active or not.

Participant

Free

Has Brebbia officially made this team?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, nothing is 100 percent official until Thursday, but it appears the answer is yes.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Every year there are guys getting injured running sprints. I don’t get it.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I blame it on George Paletta. 😉

Seriously though, one has to wonder about the warmup process. As both guys are now in their later part of their careers, perhaps their bodies are telling them that their preparation needs to change. Or maybe it is just an unfortunate coincidence.

In case you missed it…

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

seems like a blame game

if the guys don’t run test things then injuries can happen, if they test things bad things can happen some time…

also..if the fans see these guys not sprint to 1st to cover or on a grounder to second they will be called out (as well as the organization) for lack of hustle or whatever

neither injury is a big deal it seems and both even smell a bit of trying to get the youngsters a bit more time to prove who belongs and’or give the vet an extra bit of time to get ready

Participant

Paid - Annual

If we could now replace Mikolas with Reyes we would have our dream rotation a year ahead of schedule.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It was not yet meant to be as Wainwright will be activated to start in Thursday’s home opener with Flaherty returned to Memphis.

Participant

Free

Man, that was short-lived.

9 Ks in a solid 5-inning stint though. I have a lot of faith in Flaherty moving forward.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am liking Flaherty more this year also. He has a ton of movement, and that slider is a swing and miss pitch. How good he is depends on the other pitches development.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

40+ days needed to delay FA by a year! (I know Brian doesnt likevit when I talk like that)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My only beef, CC, is making service time appear to be the horse instead of the cart. I bet the Cards would be delighted if the starting five would be rock solid for the next couple of months and Flaherty would not be needed in St. Louis. Saving a year of free agency would be a nice bonus. On the other hand, if Wainwright is injured tomorrow or any other starter in the interim, Flaherty would be right back up – without a moment’s hesitation.

Participant

Paid - Annual

This is from Hummel’s article:

The decks have been cleared for Adam Wainwright to start Thursday’s home opener against the Arizona Diamondbacks as Jack Flaherty, impressive in his 2018 debut on Tuesday night, is being sent back to Memphis by the Cardinals.

That has not been announced yet but Flaherty, who struck out nine in five innings Tuesday night, quickly packed his bag in the clubhouse Wednesday afternoon, changed into street clothes and was preparing to leave the park.

Asked for comment, he said, tersely, “I’ve got nothing to say.”

Obviously Flaherty is not happy about it. He didn’t go all Pham though.

Participant

Free

“tersely” – I love when reporters add their own comments like this.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

What’s wrong with tersely? It means concise; brief; pithy. It could also mean curt or implied he was being rude but that’s not how I read it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Kind of surprising to me.Why is Mayers still up? has he even pitched yet?

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Flaherty want even supposed to be up. Tip your cap to the guy for stepping in but it’s not his spot

When he’s a vet he will get the same treatment

Waino and the FO said when he got hurt that if it were in the season he would probably have played. This just gave him a bit more time to make sure it got he healing it needed.

Waino knows this is probably his last opening day in StL so does the FO. He deserves the start. Now he has to prove he should keep the spot. Flahertys start won’t be forgotten and Waino and the rest of starters know they have to do well to keep their spots.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hope Waino isn’t coming back too soon. Very encouraged with Martinez tonight. Most intense I have seen him for some time. Looks like he trusted his stuff and knew he could dominate a tough lineup. He wasn’t playing around the edges of the zone like he has been doing. But for the Munoz error he could have had a shutout.

CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Flaherty will be back probably sooner than later given this team’s injury history, but it’s Waino’s slot and Jack knew that. I wouldn’t have had anything to say either. One good outing early in the season doesn’t earn you a spot on the roster. If that were the case, Sierra would still be on the team.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would imagine Hummel used the phrase “tersely” due to Flaherty’s tone instead of the actual words chosen.

Jager, you are correct. Flaherty should know that this is Waino’s spot in the rotation, at least for now. There is no doubt Jack will be back with the team in the coming weeks. Of course another benefit of sending him back down is to slow down the service time clock, at least I think it does.

Participant

Free

BlackHillsCard

What’s wrong with tersely? It means concise; brief; pithy. It could also mean curt or implied he was being rude but that’s not how I read it.

I’ve always taken it to mean rude or “leave me alone” sort of phrasing. You could be right that it wasn’t as meaningful as I took it though.

Participant

Free

I wonder if Flaherty is taking Connor Jones spot in the Memphis rotation with Jones taking Tewes place at Springfield? I still am not sure where Meisner is going.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years