Wainwright to DL

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Wainwright to DL

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

What to do with Wainwright? Even putting him in the bullpen at this point is questionable.

Participant

Free

Bullpen is the answer…. even if it fails.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

“If you can’t fix it, feature it!”

Participant

Free

And the past few seasons where his velocity has decreased? My gawd do they think we are morons?

Participant

Paid - Annual

If Waino doesn’t improve soon someone needs to intervene and move him to the pen and bring Flaherty back up. I know he has had a wonderful career here and deserves to be treated with respect but should we allow his failed starts to cost us a chance at a playoff spot? It might even cost Matheny his job. You would think MM would consider that.

Participant

Free

It isn’t like Martinez or Wacha’s first starts of the season were much better

Participant

The bullpen is already jammed up and three relievers are waiting to come back. Give Wainwright a chance to get get it right. If not,???

Does Hicks project as a starter or a reliever? We have Flaherty more than ready to step in…. and a couple more by mid-season. Will Wainwright be able to fend off all of those challenges? If he can’t it would be tough for him to die on the vine in St. Louis. Just saying now…. does he have any trade value?

Participant

Free

Wacha and Martinez’s velocity didn’t drop 5 mph in only 4 innings!

Participant

Free

I think Hicks should stay as a reliever personally. I’ve long though that though. Helsley should too. Helsley would instantly be the best minor league bullpen arm (other than Holland) if he were to move to that role.

Participant

Free

Was Wainwright showing poor velocity in spring training too? I hadn’t heard anything if so.

Participant

Free

Brian:

I have a question and I couldn’t find the right thread so I chose this one about pitchers.

IF Alex Reyes is on the 60 day DL does that mean he can’t appear in any games?

I’m confused because I thought he was getting ready to be up here in June.

I could have easily misunderstood so I need you to clariy things for me, please

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nate asked: “IF Alex Reyes is on the 60 day DL does that mean he can’t appear in any games?”

It depends on what you mean by “any games”.

If you mean MLB games, the answer is “yes”. However, he is almost certainly going to be pitching in extended spring training games right away. Then, during May, he will be officially assigned to a minor league team, likely Palm Beach first, on a minor league rehab stint while still on the 60-day DL.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Read an article where Mo is quoted as saying putting Reyes on the 60 day DL doesnt change the timing much on his return. This after saying they expected to activate him in early May and now the earliest will be May 28th. I hate it when they act like fans are stupid.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Spin, spin, spin goes the machine…

Participant

Free

And this is why I am very cynical of anything the front office says. Mo is known for his doublespeak and changing the ‘truth’ whenever he needs.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, there is no need to throw out the entire baby with the bathwater, BHC. You just need to better calibrate your BS meter, as it is not all created equal. 😉

Participant

Free

Brian: Thanks.

grayssportsalmanaccgrayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

“It isn’t like Martinez or Wacha’s first starts of the season were much better”

lets be fair..cmart got squeezed a on his first start, as did syndargarrd..but from a velo standpoint there isnt a real comparison there..waino seems to be in a full slide

he should get a few more starts but if everything remains the same im sad to say he belongs in the pen, a justin verlander style revival doesnt seem to be realistic at this point

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

wainwright needs the 8th reliever role, the one where MM pretends you are there to pitch, but instead just rides the pine.

Participant

Free

I don’t know if the brass is ready to remove him just yet but if he has an issue with his control like he did Thursday in his next few starts he’s going to end up either back on the DL or moved to the pen. I don’t think they would just flat out move him to the pen though. More like DL stint, then hey be the long man and then get buried at the back end due to one of the Young guns stepping up.

Also he’s just been awful against left-handed hitting the last 3 seasons. 4 walks in the season opener.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I remember LaRussa stating that one of the hardest aspects of being a manager was dealing with an aging, declining veteran who had previously been a star and trying to figure out the best way for them to ease out in a classy manner without damaging the team. This is what we are witnessing with Wainwright.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A reminder of other factors in players’ lives…

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Sorry, but no sympathy here. Do athletes think they are the only ones that have families? That have famy seperation due to work obligations? These guys are spoiled primo dannos.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My thinking in posting it was more about decisions to retire – in which “spending more time with family” is one of the standard boxes checked off.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years