DeJong extension

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum DeJong extension

Viewing 21 posts - 126 through 146 (of 146 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Those July and September numbers would be all-star level with the way he hits the ball.

Participant

Paid - Annual

He is going to strike out a lot.Just so he keeps improving his walk rate and keeps producing runs .Thyis is still just his 2nd year in the Majors and i think the 4 K night was a aberration.I also realize some “fans” are going to dissect and criticize his every move no matter what he does because they are unhappy about him signing a extension while PhamFBOMB “everybody is picking on me” did not get a big contract.

Participant

This has nothing to do with his contract. He had chances last night and did not put the ball in play. It is just a discussion of one game. Not trying to project anything based on one game.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, I was just noting that I had reopened the DeJong discussion by “reporting” his year-to-date stats – and left the door open to do it again later. Nothing more formal was intended.

NJ, my reviving the thread was not an implied comment about his contract. It just seemed better to have one DeJong thread instead of two.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Show me a major league player who never gets in a slump or never has a bad stretch.Easy answer.There hasn`t been one.

Participant

Free

Those swing and miss rates are hard to ignore BW.

I mean it could very well be Dejong even if he makes some corrections to his plate discipline could end up being no better than say an Adam Jones at the plate the majority of his career. I mean we will see if he can make this adjustment in season but I’m hoping he can maintain some of his feast with a little less famine from that 7 hole when we get the lineup right and healthy. I like the power no doubt!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Crazy dichotomy in the numbers. Is he really good, really bad, really fortunate, or some of it all?

Participant

Free

He has a lot of Jose Hernandez in him. His 2002 season ended with a really high BABIP.

Participant

Free

Or is he more like Tony Armas with the low BB%?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Way too early for declaring lucky or good or bad.Stufff happens.Although i think some would love to be able to say “we told you DeJong got his extension too early”.

Participant

He has had some at bats this year when he reminded me, heaven forbid, of Randal Greatchuk! High fastball up and in then breaking ball low and away.

Participant

Paid - Annual

And he has had some ABs this year when he reminded me of Matt Holliday.

Participant

Paid - Annual
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dejong in the last calendar month: .270/.381/.483 (139 wRC+), 12.4 BB%, 22.9 K%. Paul seems like a bright guy who can figure things out on the go. If his plate discipline numbers are for real going forward, he’s going to be a real force in this lineup.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Great to see his progress. I wish he could help some of his teammates. 😉

Participant

Paid - Annual

No jinx intended. Card fans are somewhat skeptical about anyone going out to the SS position. Outside of Peralta’s couple of years of success there, its been a place of a litany of disappointments. There are still scars and its a main sore spot. Fans feel snake-bit.

If DeJong can be the one to finally hold down SS for a good number of years like some good SSs on other teams, it will go a long way in solidifying the entire team. The once set of SS prospects has dried up and we are left with very little. Sosa is still a disappointment and has been for the last three seasons. It would be an uphill battle for Robertson to see Busch, and Perez has gone home. Not much in the way of prospective keepers.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hear ya, 14NyquisT. Not much going on since the Renteria days. Paul has been solid with the bat at every level, which gives me hope he can sustain it. His defense even is being rated better this year than last. He’s on a pace for a 6 WAR season right now. That’s just tremendous.

Meanwhile, a couple of the “others” right now…

Aledmys Diaz: .216/.273/.431 (85 wRC+). FG seems to like his defense this year, oddly. He’s still a low walk, low strikeout guy. I worried this was going to be a mistake trade. It still could be (he’s running a .200 BABIP) but early returns are not pointing that way.

Allen Cordoba: On the 60 day DL for San Diego.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Be carefull, might have to give Mabry some credit.

Participant

Paid - Annual

No jinx intended. Card fans are somewhat skeptical about anyone going out to the SS position. Outside of Peralta’s couple of years of success there, its been a place of a litany of disappointments. There are still scars and its a main sore spot. Fans feel snake-bit.

If DeJong can be the one to finally hold down SS for a good number of years like some good SSs on other teams, it will go a long way in solidifying the entire team. The once set of SS prospects has dried up and we are left with very little. Sosa is still a disappointment and has been for the last three seasons. It would be an uphill battle for Robertson to see Busch, and Perez has gone home. Not much in the way of prospective keepers.

What?? Did I miss something?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am glad that DeJong has moved up in the lineup, at least temporarily. He thrived in the three hole last year. Let’s let him hit there again.

Viewing 21 posts - 126 through 146 (of 146 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinalsâ„¢ and minor league system for over 20 years