Cubs thread

This topic contains 276 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 5 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 277 total)
  • Author
    atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Yeah, thank God Mo didn’t sign a negative WAR player this winter to a two year contract plus an option year. That would have been embarrassing.

Yours truly,

A. Miller

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, you overlook their very different track records in comparing Descalso and Miller, but when things are going badly, everything takes a negative slant.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

They have very different contracts, too. Red flags were abound with Miller. And the Cubs were more in a position to need to overpay for a veteran player to help complete their team.

But, yeah, let’s make fun of the Cubs for a bad signing.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The fact the Cubs had a bad signing is independent of the Cards making a bad signing. Both can be true. There has been plenty of Miller discussion and there will be a lot more unless he improves, but that isn’t what this particular thread is about. Seems like a lot of Cubs defending around here lately…

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

I dislike the Cubs as much as anyone. But I’m not going to point and laugh at a guy whose fly is down while I’m rolling gate-down, too.

As far as I can tell, you weren’t making fun of the Cubs, you were making fun of people on this board who wanted to sign Descalso:

Theo’s big acquisition this past winter isn’t working out very well. Fortunately, the Cards did not follow the wishes of a number of nostalgic fans who wanted him back in StL for some reason.

Theo’s big $5 million failure. Nanny nanny boo boo.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There were many more fans on social media who longed for Descalso’s return. Maybe a few here, though I don’t recall if it was all that many. I thought it was a bad idea then, as are most “bring back the former Cardinal” sentiments expressed over the years.

I have nothing against Descalso. I am just glad he signed elsewhere. Even better it was the Cubs since he is doing poorly.

That should not lead to you taking offense, unless you were in favor of the signing perhaps. I do get why you do not want to poke at the Cubs now, but that is a personal call.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

We certainly had no need to sign Descalso, so anyone that wanted us to was just a sentimental fool (and possibly foolish enough to think we needed another player who can’t hit lefties and can barely hit righties). I am not shy in expressing that many fans are fools in the free agent market (which pretty much qualifies them to be GM, but I digress).

We are down this road because you didn’t enjoy my A. Miller joke. It was nothing more than that – but a pretty good answer to making fun of a bad $5 million contract is a bad $25 million contract.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fair enough, I get where you are coming from. But at least Miller had enough of a strong track record to foster some hope he can improve. Otherwise, it will be a bad contract.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

I sure hope he can, but to justify the contract, I think he has to get back to his old, dominate self. And the likelihood of that seems very remote. I’m not even sure why Mo bothers with veteran relievers anymore. His track record there is abysmal, and our kids do a fine job.

Heck, the way relievers throw now (all of them seem to be in the high 90’s), I doubt anything but a very small percentage of them will be effective after their arbitration years. Sad, but true.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs are activating Kimbrel today but are they standing pat? Nope, they are after other upgrades of course. Things may not work for them but they never stop trying. I wish our team was that aggressive. And no I am not a Cubs fan. Far from it. I’m just pointing out the differences between the two teams.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cubs’ inconsistent play has enabled the Cardinals to remain close. A number of the Cubs problems cited are ones the Cards cleaned up this year – errors and baserunning mistakes. Chicago is just 14-19 since May 22.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes, they are struggling but that just makes their front office that much more aggressive to try to fix it. It helps to have an unlimited budget though.

Also, the bottom line is the standings. They are still in first place.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The difference in the standings at midpoint of the season are close enough to be insignificant. Because of how the schedule was set, the Cubs have had one more home series to date in the head-to-head matchup. If the current head-to-head pattern of each team winning held up and the current schedule was even, the swing would be three games for the Cards and the two would switch places in the standings. Not real, but an illustration that the division is there for the taking.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, are you writing the speeches for Shildt now? :o)

Pretty optimistic.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

< It helps to have an unlimited budget though.>

Really? Is that why they acquired Daniel Descalso as their prime pick this past winter? Is that why they were yelling luxury tax until Zobrist went on restricted status with no pay and they could afford Kimbrel? What happens if Zobrist wants to come back? Sorry but, according to all the stories I have read, they do not have an unlimited budget.

Will be interested to see what Kimbrel has to offer. MLB (Cubs writer) thinks he will be the best thing since sliced bread……….like Goldschmidt huh? Seldom do you see practically a whole team in a funk but that appears to be what is happening now. Finally we saw a slight change last night with the sitting of at least one piece of that funk. It had promising results. I agree also with Horton (seldom do) tat deJong needs a day or two off or a movement in the batting order. Shildt’s problem is rearranging the batting order at this point is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. One thing that gives me heart is the fact that we are still close in the NLC and the end of the season will be weighted heavily on NLC head to head matchups. If they can’t hack it by then, it will be time to say adios.

Nice to see Leone, who many had written off, make a nice showing upon his return. I think Brebbia is one who is in need of some rest. Praying that Mo doesn’t go after Rosenthal as a new closer. I think Rosie may be done in his career.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So, you don’t think the Cards vs. Cubs could go 10-9 this season, like they did last year? If the current pattern continues for 2019, that is how it would end. Please explain why that is optimistic, rather than realistic. (When I asked before, you pointed back to 2016 and 2017, as if those earlier seasons are more relevant than the recent ones.)

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as I am to consider it differently. My assessment is that you see the Cards’ glass as half empty while the Cubs’ glass is half full.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Really? Is that why they acquired Daniel Descalso as their prime pick this past winter? Is that why they were yelling luxury tax until Zobrist went on restricted status with no pay and they could afford Kimbrel? What happens if Zobrist wants to come back? Sorry but, according to all the stories I have read, they do not have an unlimited budget.

Even after subtracting Zobrist (who still might return this year) and adding Kimbrel their current payroll is $212M according to Cots. And are they done spending this year? Nope. I would almost guarantee you they will make more additions between now and July 31. To me that is what “going all in” means, even if that mysterious phrase seems to baffle some. The Cubs may fail but they will always try to better the team.

I can’t stand the Cubs but I have a grudgingly amount of respect for their front office.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So, you don’t think the Cards vs. Cubs could go 10-9 this season, like they did last year? If the current pattern continues for 2019, that is how it would end. Please explain why that is optimistic, rather than realistic. (When I asked before, you pointed back to 2016 and 2017, as if those earlier seasons are more relevant than the recent ones.)

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as I am to consider it differently. My assessment is that you see the Cards’ glass as half empty while the Cubs’ glass is half full.

Mathematically speaking I would say your assertion is possible but you are assuming each team will win the remainder of the home games this season. I am assuming that the Cubs have a better chance of winning at Busch than the Cards do of winning at Wrigley, considering we are something like 8-20 there over the last few years.

I am also factoring in that the Cubs have added a future hall of fame closer and we have done nothing and I am also assuming the Cubs will make more big additions between now and July 31 while the Cards will tinker. Maybe my assumptions are half glass empty but they are based on precedence.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Kimbrel made his debut today in the ninth with a two-run lead. It wasn’t easy. He gave up a ground-rule double and walked a batter but escaped with the save, retiring Freddie Freeman for the final out. Cubs beat the Braves, 9-7.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

He only had like 3-4 innings before being activated.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cubs have a big pitching injury too. And the CarGo experiment ends quickly.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I read where they are hoping Cargo clears waivers so they can send him to Iowa and maybe bring him back up later. I have no idea if anyone will claim him or not.

Losing Hamels is a big blow, especially since Hendricks is out. We have talked before about their lack of rotation depth. It may bite them. I am sure Theo is scouring trade possibilities. My questions is who do they have left to trade? Ian Happ?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, you will happy to know I am starting to take a glass half empty view of the Cubs. Good grief they are playing almost as bad as the Cardinals right now. They got blasted by the Pirates last night 18-5. Kimbrel gave up three runs although that may not be that big of a deal because, as Jim Edmonds said the other day, closers usually don’t perform as well in non save situations.

The Cubs big problem is their rotation. They are finally being exposed for their lack of pitching depth. Their prized rookie, Alzolay, got bombed last night. Hamels is on the DL which really hurts. They get Hendricks back today but Lester, Quintana, and Darvish have been very average and Chatwood is garbage.

Theo may pull a rabbit out of the hat and make some deals to allow them to win the division but at this point I would give them zero chance to advance past the Dodgers in the playoffs and probably not the Braves either.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 277 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years