Cubs thread

This topic contains 443 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 5 days, 16 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 444 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

858booyah
    Participant

Free

They only signed Kimbrel beccause Zobrist is not counting against the luxury tax currently and they’ve got money coming off the books next year. The rumor is they’ve got no money. So if they want to make moves they’ll need to shed a big time contract. Russell makes decent coin though. They might be willing to part with him and stash Zobrist until September as if he’s added he’ll after August 31st he’s not not be playoff eligible. Rergardless they’ll never beat LA and I don’t think they can take Milwaukee when it’s all said and done.

Meanwhile we wont do squat. It’s what that egomaniac does best these day. Need to fire that bowtie wearing clown and all his puppets and start over.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What is frustrating is that as bad as the Cubs have been lately the other NLC teams are letting them off the hook by not pulling away.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

For anyone that is interested. I’m not but it caught my eye.

<ahref=”https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/theo_epstein_threatens_a_ton_of_change_for_struggling_cubs/s1_127_29451998″ rel=”noopener” target=”_blank”>https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/theo_epstein_threatens_a_ton_of_change_for_struggling_cubs/s1_127_29451998

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Poor Cubbies. It sounds like Theo threw a temper tantrum. I hope Joe Maddon is renting his house instead of owning.

Realistically though this division is so bad and compacted anyone could win it. I doubt if the Cubs sell.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This isn’t the Theo I’ve read about here… 😉

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well we all knew his win now moves would catch up with them eventually. I figured it would be 2022 not this year. Of course we still have a half season to go but I admit it is fun to watch then squirm right now, not that we don’t have our own problems.

My apologies to Pecota.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t forget about Gleybar Torres. Is Quintana the only player they have from these wheeling and dealings?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A Pittsburgh writer weighs in…

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One Cubs beat writer is lining this up as Joe vs. Theo.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Isn’t this the last year for Madden’s contract? Maybe they will can him. It’s great to watch the Cubs struggle…just wish the Cards had played even .500 since April so it’d be doubly delightful.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, Maddon is a lame duck. They’ve already changed the hitting and pitching coaches so he would seem to be next in the standard blame game of job firings. Theo has three rings, which probably buys him more time. In between is Jed Hoyer, the Cubs’ version of Michael Girsch.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think they would be making a mistake by firing Maddon but more power to them. Maybe Joe Girardi is on Theo’s speed dial.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Funny how these things work. Substitute Shildt for Maddon, Mo for Theo, and make a few other name swaps and you would have a duplicate of Cards posts. But with the Cubs tinkering in and out of 1st place it must be the losing streak that is agitating the ‘loyal followers.’ Glad my twitter reading is limited to Brian’s posts and this thread. Thing sure lighten up in Card land with a few wins. Sure the same will happen with the Cubs. Notice that the Cards/Cubs play the last 3 games of the season at Busch. I hope they are playing for something meaningful.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs are in a world series or bust mentality right now. Anything less than that is considered an abject failure to them. I don’t get the sense the Cardinals are thinking that way.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Strange that Girardi wasn’t picked up by somebody. Maybe he is on Mo’s speed dial in case Shildty falls through the cracks. But since he was a highly charged Cards fan as a kid, Maddon may actually be on Mo’s call-em-quick list.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

World Series or bust?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am sure Gordon Wittenmyer is more plugged into the Cubs scene than I am but I would be shocked if they don’t make a significant move or two before the deadline. They always do. I think Theo is just trying to play mind games with his team through the media.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cubs lost their catcher, too, as Willson Contreras went on the IL with a strained foot. They didn’t have a Wieters to fill in so they acquired Martin Maldonado from KC for lefty pitcher Mike Montgomery.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Maldonado can knock the cover off the ball.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Does Caratini have options left?

Rumor is they had about 4 million under the top penalty bracket from being charged 75% over every dollar spent and being docked 10 spaces in the draft.

They need to be creative with the money they’ve got. They may very well go get someone but Whit is going to cost them at least 2 players on the current roster and 2 other high end prospects. I don’t see it but I could see them try and get a guy like Derek Dietrich. Which won’t cost as much.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

After more than a year and a half with the Cubs, Darvish won his first game at Wrigley Field last night.

In that same time span, the Cards’ free agent starting pitcher signee that same winter, Miles Mikolas, has 13 home wins.

“Yu go, we go!”

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Maybe I’m forgetting something, but thus far Darvish has been the worst investment the current regime has made. That’s a huge contract for several more years.

Having said that, cubs are liking what they’re seeing out of him lately and think he will deliver what they’re paying for down the stretch. As we know, elbow injuries and surgeries suck and take a while to recover from, assuming the player does recover. Maybe he’s turned the corner, we’ll see.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Before we throw stones check the standings my friends. That is really all that matters.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 444 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years