Cubs thread

This topic contains 443 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 2 days, 16 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 444 total)
  • Author
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree. The current team needs to play better. I’m okay with signing Keuchel, but not for more than two or three years. Don’t sign Keuchel for 5 years. Houston already got his best years.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Three teams have commanding leads(LAD-MIN-HOU) and hefty run diff. advantages plus the ALE is a three way race leaving the other two teams in the dust. So there will be plenty of towels flying everywhere and a buyers market.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25, don’t you remember the concern that came out of Chicago when the Cards “tinkered” around and acquired Goldschmidt? All the current angst is because of who made the most recent move. Today is June 6. Almost two months remain until the trade deadline, when many teams finally get serious about throwing in the towel on the season.

Surely you don’t imply that fans are a “what have you done for me lately?” bunch?

Signed, the kettle.

😂😂😂

Seriously though, I concur that the angst comes from the last move. Yet if the Cards were sitting at 10 games over .500 like they were May 1, it’s likely the fans would be going a little easier on Mo and Girsch.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It’s like the Cards didn’t just sweep the Cubs. Old news now. This weekend should be fun.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Despite going 8-10 in that time, they are still 3.5 games back. No one is running away with the division.

Let’s see how far behind we are Monday morning. I don’t have a good feeling about this upcoming series. They will be jacked up wanting revenge and the Cards are using the exact same starters as last weekend, therefore, the Cubs will be very familiar with them, and they tend to own us at Wrigley.

Also, it is possible that now with Strop back and Kimbrel on the way and possibly Morrow coming back they will have the strongest bullpen in the league. They could run away with the division if the Brewers and Cards don’t get it together.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My observation is that when it comes to the Cubs, every Cardinals glass you look at seems more than half empty. For the Cubs, the what ifs are positive, and for the Cards, the what ifs are negative.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

gscottar: Not trying to rip you but man just reading all of your posts it sure seems you are constantly yelling FIRE WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE meaning the team is absolutely dead for the season. A lot of quotes from Cubs players could just as well come from many players of other contending teams. Do you think they are going to say – “I joined this team to lose.” You could get a lot of positive quotes from Cardinals players too. Start with Goldsmith who volunteered to extend even before he had played very much here – do you think he wanted a loser? Anyway, I think we look at it different. Just a game, a nice source of entertainment for me. At nearly 80 I still say life is too short to put a lot of worry on a baseball team. Yes, there are things that bother me too about the team but I tell myself that it is just like politics – I can’t do diddly squat about anything. Have a good day and GO CARDS

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Keep the positive vibes coming gentlemen. We need them.

However, as long as I have to keep looking up at the Cubs in the standings I will continue to have a degree of skepticism. I don’t like being told things are great when they aren’t.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So, your conclusion from this discussion is that you are being told “things are great”? Really?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My conclusion is to just move on to the next topic. I don’t see anything good coming from this discussion.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Here’s my conclusion: in the last 100 years, the Cubs have 6 NL pennants and 1 World Series win. The Cards have 19 NL pennants and 11 World Series.

Take heart, gscottar…the Cubs will always suck even if they have a good team once in a while for a stretch. 😁

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t post this to start trouble. Only to illustrate that I’m not the only person to feel this way. Sometimes I feel like I am on an island..lol

And this was obviously written before the Keuchel signing by the Braves.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Yes you did post it to start trouble. Kimbrel has not thrown one pitch and the Twitter whiners assume that the Cards are obligated to match them. Keuchel is gone (and good riddance) and Baw-stun didn’t let Kimbrel go because he was such a great closer – they saw a decline that did not match the pay demands.

I think some of the disillusioned need to consider becoming Cubs fans. Afterall, you get to celebrate every 108 years. The twitter posts I read can only be classed (in my opinion) as mindless trolls who would whine if hung with a new rope. They should be happy that the internet was invented for what they think was their chance to foist their opinions on others who agree with them. Boards like this are about as close as I get to any social media as I don’t think normal folks care what time of day I have a bowel movement. just sayin.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Actually this is all much simpler than we are making it out to be. It doesn’t have to be so complicated. The only real stat that matters is the standings. Everything else is just clutter.

We can endlessly debate payroll size, head to head record, front office aggressiveness/passivity, revenue, injuries, tanking, low hanging fruit, dry powder, attendance, desire to win, or who has the right to post whatever on the internet. Blah blah blah….

Just look at the standings. That is the only thing that matters.

UConn Card
    UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Let’s not get into possible mind-reading about a post’s intent (and, yes, I noticed the OP was the one who raised the ‘intent’ originally).

A general suggestion: Making statements/posts that begin with an ‘I don’t mean to…’ just paints a big ole red bulls-eye on said statement/post.

For example:. Beginning a statement with ‘Don’t take this the wrong way but…’ just screams that you’re about to offend the person with whom you are talking and you know it. ‘Don’t take this the wrong way but those pants are really tight on you.’

Instead, either: a)Think of a more tactful way to communicate, b) Reconsider saying anything at all or c)Just go ahead as is and let the chips fall where they may

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I try not to take things on this board too personally. It is a diverse board. We have different ages, different backgrounds, different viewpoints. That is a strength of the board, not a weakness. One thing we have in common is an interest in the Cardinals and a desire for them to do well.

I am 51 and been a diehard fan for about 45 years. I can remember as a youngster having some Lou Brock sneakers with the number 114 on the heel and proudly wearing them to school. In Jr. high I used to spend my evenings next to the radio with a notepad handy keeping score of the Cardinal games. I have rarely missed a game on radio or TV ever since.

I just want them to win and I get frustrated when I feel they aren’t trying their hardest to do so. Being critical of the team has nothing to do with not being loyal. Fans pay money to attend games, buy merchandise, subscribe to cable channels, subscribe to message boards, etc… so they should have the right to voice their opinions as long as they keep it respectful, which I try to do but may not always succeed.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Avatar gscottar.
    UConn Card
    UConn Card

Paid - Annual

I too get frustrated with both the team and management.

An example of how long something can annoy me – I was so unhappy with the Mark Mulder trade that I consistently called him Bucket of Poop. Way after the Mark Mulder Era had passed, I used his actual name during a baseball discussion with my die-hard Cardinals fan daughter who looked at me confused and asked “Who?”. When I responded “Bucket of Poop” she knew exactly who I meant. She never heard me use his real name.

I agree that criticism should not be equated with the level of random. Not at all.

But I also remind myself that I’m not privy to all of what goes into management’s decisions. I remember back to the fairly brief time Dave Duncan was posting at Bernie’s Pressbox. He took the time to explain what went into in-game pitching decisions that didn’t make much sense to the we fans during the contest. 9 times out of 10 there was really solid logic behind the move but it didn’t work out.

So I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. And to acknowledge differing views even if I don’t agree.

Now here’s to sweeping the Baby Bears at Wrigley!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree UConn. We don’t have all of the inside information but this is a results oriented business so that is all we can judge.

Also, the Brock number I cited was a typo. It was obviously 118, not 114. lol

And yes I also hope we have a good series this weekend!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is the junk I am talking about on how the Cubs think after the Kimbrel acquisition.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

We are enjoying one of the greatest eras of winning baseball in cardinals history. Your lifetime has been filled with classic moments and endless victories. We have countless passionate people pouring their lives and resources into bringing us pleasure. There is little reason to become upset or stressed by the organization.
    I get pissed when Dexter doesn’t make plays and a little disturbed when Drew Robinson does Spongebob’s “eager dance”.
    There are a lot of positives one can focus upon instead of worrying about outcomes we can’t control.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Theo’s big acquisition this past winter isn’t working out very well. Fortunately, the Cards did not follow the wishes of a number of nostalgic fans who wanted him back in StL for some reason.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Yeah I guess we didn’t we want to throw money for a lefthanded stick to hit off the bench. Which is why we got Drew Robinson.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Did they really need a left-handed stick off the bench? The pitching has been so shaky they have used eight relievers instead. That leaves a bench of Wieters, Munoz, Gyorko and Martinez. Unless the new acquisition had been a shortstop, he wouldn’t have fit (replacing Munoz). Perhaps that is why they added someone with minor league options. Robinson was not good, but he isn’t making $5 million over the next two years and can be sent to the minors.

Bottom line, I am glad the Cards did not get stuck with Descalso, who looks to be on the Ty Wigginton path. Imagine the furor had the Cards front office signed him instead of the Cubs…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I doubt if the Cubs are too worried about their investment in Danny D. He accounts for less than 1% of their payroll this year. He was good in Arizona so it is understandable why both the Cubs and Cards reportedly had interest in him.

Kudos to Mo for saving the $5M. We needed that since we had to eat $5M on Gregerson.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The cost to the Cubs is his .566 OPS and -0.8 bWAR. Descalso had his one and only above-average MLB season in 2018 (despite just batting .238) after seven straight below-average years (OPS+ under 100). Not surprising which guy showed up in 2019.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 444 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years