Cubs thread

Viewing 8 posts - 976 through 983 (of 983 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That Cubs lineup is (to use a favorite word of nate’s) mediocre. Other than SS and DH maybe, there isn’t a single Cubs player I would take over their corresponding Cardinal. I also believe the Cardinals pitching and defense are stronger. Other than that…

Maybe Hoyer can sign a few “slugs.”

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That Cubs lineup is (to use a favorite word of nate’s) mediocre. Other than SS and DH maybe, there isn’t a single Cubs player I would take over their corresponding Cardinal. I also believe the Cardinals pitching and defense are stronger. Other than that…

Madrigal and Contreras are probably just as good as Edman and Molina. I agree that the Cards would have the edge at 1B, 3B, and all three OF spots. The top three rotation spots are probably equal but the Cards should have more overall depth.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Current 2022 World Series odds per betonline.ag:

Cardinals 22/1
    Cubs 100/1

Looks about right to me.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just might add a zero to the end of those odds for the cubbies winning it all, Brian.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Right now I would peg the 2022 NLC as:

1. Cards
    2. Brewers
    3. Cubs
    4. Reds
    5. Pirates

However didn’t one of those playoff expansion proposals include going back to just two divisions per league? If that were to happen it would be interesting to see who we were in a division with.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian,

what do you mean SS and DH? Do you mean if they add some or their current roster with Hoerner at SS?

I’d take the above average defense of Sosa or DeJong any day over Hoerner. And a DH of Yan Gomes I guess. Maybe they will get Davis and Valequez up by next year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I didn’t do one shred of analysis. I just wanted to give the Cubs a little bit of credit. In reality, I don’t think the two teams are anywhere close in current talent, and it wouldn’t change with a player or two added to the Cubs. But rather than just disagree with the earlier contention, I added the odds as an impartial validation. Those in the business of assigning real money values to it clearly agree the two teams aren’t close.

The two teams have different approaches. The Cubs had a window that closed. They are building for the next shot. The Cardinals try to contend every year but in doing so, are less splashy in their moves.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

I’d still have Brewers #1 in division….they ran away with it last year and that included the Card 17 game winning streak and Cards so far have done next to nothing to get any better

Viewing 8 posts - 976 through 983 (of 983 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years