Cubs thread

Viewing 25 posts - 976 through 1,000 (of 1,093 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That Cubs lineup is (to use a favorite word of nate’s) mediocre. Other than SS and DH maybe, there isn’t a single Cubs player I would take over their corresponding Cardinal. I also believe the Cardinals pitching and defense are stronger. Other than that…

Maybe Hoyer can sign a few “slugs.”

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That Cubs lineup is (to use a favorite word of nate’s) mediocre. Other than SS and DH maybe, there isn’t a single Cubs player I would take over their corresponding Cardinal. I also believe the Cardinals pitching and defense are stronger. Other than that…

Madrigal and Contreras are probably just as good as Edman and Molina. I agree that the Cards would have the edge at 1B, 3B, and all three OF spots. The top three rotation spots are probably equal but the Cards should have more overall depth.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Current 2022 World Series odds per betonline.ag:

Cardinals 22/1
    Cubs 100/1

Looks about right to me.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just might add a zero to the end of those odds for the cubbies winning it all, Brian.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Right now I would peg the 2022 NLC as:

1. Cards
    2. Brewers
    3. Cubs
    4. Reds
    5. Pirates

However didn’t one of those playoff expansion proposals include going back to just two divisions per league? If that were to happen it would be interesting to see who we were in a division with.

PadsFS
    Participant

Brian,

what do you mean SS and DH? Do you mean if they add some or their current roster with Hoerner at SS?

I’d take the above average defense of Sosa or DeJong any day over Hoerner. And a DH of Yan Gomes I guess. Maybe they will get Davis and Valequez up by next year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I didn’t do one shred of analysis. I just wanted to give the Cubs a little bit of credit. In reality, I don’t think the two teams are anywhere close in current talent, and it wouldn’t change with a player or two added to the Cubs. But rather than just disagree with the earlier contention, I added the odds as an impartial validation. Those in the business of assigning real money values to it clearly agree the two teams aren’t close.

The two teams have different approaches. The Cubs had a window that closed. They are building for the next shot. The Cardinals try to contend every year but in doing so, are less splashy in their moves.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

I’d still have Brewers #1 in division….they ran away with it last year and that included the Card 17 game winning streak and Cards so far have done next to nothing to get any better

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Heuer was a closer candidate.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Chicago’s big offseason acquisition is hot to start his MLB career.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh oh, I don’t like this. I hope this Suzuki does not come from the same bloodlines as Ichiro Suzuki. Well let’s hope ML pitchers will come up with a quick and effective solution for this guy.

Paul7
    Participant

Free

Seiya Suzuki of the Cubs is the only MLB player with 8+ RBI and 4+ walks over his first 4 career games since RBI became an official stat in 1920.

He’s the anti-Baez, not a hotdog and very disciplined. In 73 pitches he’s only swung and missed three times. That’s about one AB for Baez.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kind of amusing that the cubbies outscored the Pirates 29-12 in their series with Pittsburgh this weekend………..yet lost 3-4 games to them.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Though still obviously a decent player, this Suzuki fellow that cubbie fans were drawing comparisons to Ichiro Suzuki, has tailed off quite a bit at the dish. He’s starting to whiff at PDJ rates. Looks like the league is figuring him out.

PadsFS
    Participant

I’ve never seen a team take their starting CFer from the year prior and make him the DH. That kind of says it all for the Cubs. Suzuki was a very good pickup though, but they are going to be stuck for a while with their lack of a farm system after tearing it down.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Theo knew… (Make sure you take the time to read the Cubs fan comments following the article.)

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals are in first and the Cubs are in last. This is the way things should be. 🙂

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

When it rains, it pours…

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cool drone cam fly around Wrigley Field. https:
    //www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xqdj1TBOtU

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

About what I expected…the Cubs and probably others will pursue a quality SS and the brain trust will sit on their hands.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 976 through 1,000 (of 1,093 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.