Cubs thread

Viewing 25 posts - 851 through 875 (of 1,093 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Weird addition. They basically signed another Schwarber after they let the real Schwarber go. Only, this one is a pure platoon player.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Let’s see what the comparable money looks like…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Schwarber $10 MM, Joc $7 MM. So the Cubs saved $3 MM. And it could have been more since Schwarber was arbitration eligible.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

$7M for Joc is pretty low. At that price, I would have liked to see the Cards in on him.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Weird addition. They basically signed another Schwarber after they let the real Schwarber go. Only, this one is a pure platoon player.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the thinking is that both just needed a change of scenery.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I had Pederson at Schwarbers 10mil or better, once Kyle had signed. I’m very surprised by Pedersons’ contract.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Adam Eaton at 8mil or Joc at 7mil?
    Pretty sure I know your answer.

Those two contracts are head scratchers for the projection systems also. Pedersons avg projection is 2.0, Eaton 1.4

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Adam Eaton at 8mil or Joc at 7mil?
    Pretty sure I know your answer.

Those two contracts are head scratchers for the projection systems also. Pedersons avg projection is 2.0, Eaton 1.4

I would take Joc 10 times out of 10. I’d take him over Schwarber at his price easily too. I felt like Joc would get 2/$18M so I was overestimating the market for him too.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cubs add a back end starter most recently with the Pirates.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is becoming clearer how Theo can achieve his dream of running an MLB team – by using OPM*.

* Other Peoples’ Money

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Kershaw rips the Cubs as an example of a big problem with the game.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looks like they just morphed Zach Davies and Kyle Hendricks into one pitcher. What a Cardinal killer that would be!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe the Cubs are really just a small market team like the Cardinals are… 🙂

Seriously, the MLBPA should push hard for a payroll floor in the next CBA.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Seriously, the MLBPA should push hard for a payroll floor in the next CBA.

Totally agree. The floor should be whatever MLB teams receive from MLB and the pooling of local TV contracts, which would be at least $100 million.

Taking away the incentive to tank will boost the value of all clubs, so the owners should get behind it (except the ones perpetually claiming to be poor).

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

No Shaikin, Kershaw doesn’t get it. He works for a billion dollar team that can throw money away and still make a profit. There is only so much good talent in baseball and the players go for the team with the most money. The Pirates and Reds and ohters can’t spend like the Dodgers. If the players are going to whine about a floor figure then give us a ceiling. If they want a 100 million dollar floor then there has to be a 150 million dollar ceiling. The players can’t have it there way only.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There essentially is a ceiling. That is what the luxury tax serves as. Sure, some teams spend beyond it but if they do it every year the penalties get stiffer including the loss of draft picks.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is essentially a floor also, 26 players times the minimum.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Your Dodgers don’t seem too concerned about the ceiling. Even before resolving the situation with free agent Justin Turner at 3B, they are about $30 MM over the cap for 2021. Maybe they will get back under in 2022, but for the here and now, the World Series champions are loaded for a repeat – and the system benefits them in doing so.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Dodgers will have some tough choices to make after next year. Sure, they will have money to spend but Seager, Kershaw, Jansen, and potentially Bauer and Pollock will be free agents, and they have decisions coming up on Buehler, Bellinger and company. The farm that was so good doesn’t look quite as stacked right now. They have so much money that I could imagine them dipping back for a year and then surging forward to push the boundaries of the only real deterrent (+$40M gets you a hit on your draft pick).

As far as a salary floor, it only makes sense. But if it’s tied to a hard cap, players won’t go for it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“My” Dodgers have $95M coming off the books after 2021 so they can easily get back under tax. Betts is the only long term deal they have.

The luxury tax penalties bite when the same team is a repeat offender.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And to be clear I don’t like the Dodgers. I like Andrew Friedman and how he builds an organization. There is a difference. Despite the knee-jerk analysis he does more than just spend money. The Dodgers have been rich forever but their organization is ran differently than it was 10-20 years ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 851 through 875 (of 1,093 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years