Cubs thread

Viewing 25 posts - 826 through 850 (of 949 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

25, I wouldn’t look back more than one season on these two ol’ farts, but you’re entirely welcome to.

Why would you take the extremely short 2020 season as the be all of these two? At worst you have to include 2019, where they were very similar pitchers.

Either way, I’d take Waino between the two but not at double the price. I’ll be interested to see what Waino does if he only gets $3-5M offers.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The sad thing is while we watch the Cubs tear it down they could still win the division this year since all of the other NLC teams are doing their Scrooge McDuck impersonations.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

25, The primary reason I’d only look back one season is because they are expected to only sign for one season going forward. Most recent weighs most heavily, as it should, especially with aging vets.

Adam allowed 4 ER once, Lester had an 8, three 5’s, and a 7 ER. He got blew up a lot, and I though he faced a lower quality of opponents. Half his starts were vs PIT (3), CLE (2) and DET (1).

When Lester faced us he threw batting practice, and I had hoped he would return to the Cubs next season because I don’t expect the 2018 Lester to return.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

25, The primary reason I’d only look back one season is because they are expected to only sign for one season going forward. Most recent weighs most heavily, as it should, especially with aging vets.

So Joc Pederson…1 year/$5M based on his bad 2020? 😉

Most recent does weight most heavily, but I don’t think you can take a 1/3 season as the only weight for a full (or close to it) 2021. I don’t think Waino is really a 3+ WAR pitcher over a 162 game schedule, nor is Lester <1. I’d project both for 1-1.5, realistically. Waino gets a bump for his better 2020 and hits for his increased age, injury history and right handedness. Lester bumps for being younger and lefty.

I really could see Waino getting a $5-6M deal.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

+1 on the Joc joke!

Ok, I’ll look back farther for discussions sake. Look at their ops+ (edit-ERA+) trends the last 3 seasons.
    125, 98, 86
    88, 101, 137

To save myself a bunch of typing I’ll ask that you also review baseballsavants run value by pitch type, on both pitchers player page. Adam still has a dominant pitch, Lester hasn’t since 2018. But look how their complete arsenal has changed over the last 3 yrs.

I think Lesters about done, and that a shortened 2020 worked in his favor. A larger sample size may have been uglier.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The part of the Jared Porter story not well reported is that the behavior that led to his firing as Mets GM occurred when he worked for Theo and the Cubs.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another story about St. Louis being boring? 😉

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Probably to get the fans talking about or getting angry at the Cards rather than the Cubs front office, or at least an attempt to…

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I believe last night on the MLB Network they said Happ might end up with Minnesota. Was that Ian Happ or the pitcher, whatshisname, A.J. Happ?

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I believe last night on the MLB Network they said Happ might end up with Minnesota. Was that Ian Happ or the pitcher, whatshisname, A.J. Happ?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Now they are piling on…

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bob brought up Waino and Yadi. No doubt there will be national writers writing very similar things about St Louis should they end up elsewhere.

But I’m ok with them bashing the Cubs for now. Lol

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yep, they can just change the names and recycle the same columns.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well that is a garbage article and so would the one be for criticizing the Cardinals on Waino and Yadi. As I have stated before, I am not big on legacy deals. I understand that legacy players may sell some tickets but so does winning.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Any doubt they’d do it?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, this is the kind of article that you would normally be critical of because the source basically admits he has no idea if this is serious or not.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, an analyst from the Jays version of FOX Sports Midwest (with a blue check mark) says the two sides discussed a deal. That is what the Cubs article shared.

However, when I went to his feed, he clarified that he does not know if it is serious or how recent the talks were. IMO, his initial tweet was intentionally misleading by being so vague. Then when it got hot, he backed away.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is Bryant really worth much now? Coming off a pitiful 2020 season with 1 year of control left.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d be in favor of any deal that gets us away from Cy Hendricks. Probably wishful thinking though. Of course, if the Cubs totally tanked it would probably put them in the market for some of the free agents we are hoping to snag after next year. I would prefer that more of the big market teams remain cash strapped.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How the Cubs could be cash strapped is beyond me. Their fans have a right to be livid.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Because their 2020 losses were “biblical”… You can’t stay a billionaire long without good accountants… 😉

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well the biggest indictment against the Theo era is that he completely gutted the farm system therefore Hoyer is now having to rebuild it. We knew those chickens would come home to roost eventually.

But the Cubs being cash strapped? That is a joke. The Yankees, Dodgers and maybe the Red Sox and Mets are the only teams who could best the Cubs when it comes to money.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nice addition for Chicago.

Viewing 25 posts - 826 through 850 (of 949 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years