Cubs thread

Viewing 11 posts - 651 through 661 (of 661 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Yes. I’d like Contreras please.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bikemike asked:

Baez and Bryant really tanked this year. I wonder if they will rebound or this is their “new normal”?

The ESPN broadcasters attributed Baez’ problems to not having fans in the stadiums because he is such a “showman,” feeds off the crowds, etc… Rah, rah, rah…

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs won the division so yes by definition they are a good team but in their mind it is World Series or bust and I know they are astonished that this core has only produced one championship. They have won a lot of games but still have to be considered an underachieving disappointment based on what their expectations were.

It will be interesting to see if they ride it out one more year with this core or if they make some changes.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Three years have passed since the Cubs got past the Wild Card round. In the three prior years, they reached the NLCS all three times. It sure feels like the window is closing.

Participant

Paid - Annual

They have only scored 13 runs in their last 11 home post season games. And we think our boys lack punch. The post season batting stats on Rizzo, Bryant and Schwarber since 2016 are absolutely abysmal. Bryant’s stock on the open market has taken a serious hit over these past two years and Schwarber? I don’t think you’d fetch didily for the guy via trade. There’s not a heck of a lot in their farm system either. Their window is all but closed.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs have not developed pitching well in ages, so all those hitters have to be supplemented with expensive free agent pitching. Once the hitters start getting expensive and the pitchers get old, it’s trouble. They had a good regular season this year but I wouldn’t be surprised if they finished around .500 next year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Another gash in the bottom of their boat.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Think about all of the talent they have traded away. Eloy Jimenez, Gleybar Torres, and Jorge Soler would look pretty good in their lineup wouldn’t they? And Dylan Cease on the mound?

I know they will try to justify it because they won the world series in 2016 but wow did they give away a LOT. And for what? Three months of Aroldis Chapman, one year of Wade Davis and three average years of Jose Quintana. I think Theo will regret those trades.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My question is whether Theo will bolt again. When the bad trades and bad signings came home to roost with the Red Sox, he got out of Dodge.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Good question Brian. He has one year left on his contract so he will probably stay in 2021 but I could definitely see him leave next winter when it is time to rebuild the core. Then again, the Angels and Mets currently have front office openings so you never know.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Then again, the Angels and Mets currently have front office openings so you never know.

Now a third front office spot is open.

Viewing 11 posts - 651 through 661 (of 661 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years