Cubs thread

Viewing 25 posts - 601 through 625 (of 713 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Kris Bryant says he hopes he isn’t traded in the middle of a pandemic. Theo agrees they need to be especially sensitive this year. Jed Hoyer reminds everyone some moves are going to be necessary.

Boyer14Boyer14
    Participant

Free

Cubs will suck as always,,,,,,,,,,,,

Participant

Paid - Annual

Based on what Boyer?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see how the Cubs can go anywhere with the pitching that they have. Maybe battle it out with the Brewers for third in the Central.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see how the Cubs can go anywhere with the pitching that they have. Maybe battle it out with the Brewers for third in the Central.

I’m with you. An old rotation and a shaky bullpen do not inspire much confidence. Their vaunted offense may have to outslug a few teams and even they weren’t all world last year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I like their lineup better than ours but I like our overall pitching depth better. I think the two teams are basically even but pitching and defense gave us a slight edge last year so I hope it will again.

Saying the Cubs will suck means the Cardinals will also suck because there isn’t much separation in the two teams. I haven’t seen many prognosticators pick them below us this year. I assume Boyer’s comment was optimistic hyperbole.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like their lineup better than ours but I like our overall pitching depth better. I think the two teams are basically even but pitching and defense gave us a slight edge last year so I hope it will again.

The Cubs have better offense to look forward to, for sure. I just see their pitching as a major hole that likely will not be able to be filled. Lester is 36, Darvish 33, Quintana 31 and Hendricks 30. Besides that they don’t have much in the way of proven starting pitching. Those guys are old and declining in some cases, and will need to pick it up or the Cubs will have some of the worst pitching in the league.

The Cards offense has similar question marks. O’Neill will need to hit like he’s capable of and Carpenter and Goldy will need to be more like their 2018 selves than the poor 2019s they had. That said, pitching is more volatile than hitting so if you’re gonna hang your hat on one that you can have more assurance of above average results, I’d hang it on pitching.

In a short season, anything really goes but I’d still peg the Cards at least a couple of games better than the Cubs. That could be the difference between 1st and 4th in the bunched up NL Central.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Of course with no Brebbia, Hicks, Gallegos, Cabrera, and Reyes our pitching depth is not looking to be as strong as it once was either. We better have some guys step up.

If I am not mistaken the Cubs are the only NL team not to be directly impacted by Covid so far.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatargscottar.
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Of course with no Brebbia, Hicks, Gallegos, Cabrera, and Reyes our pitching depth is not looking to be as strong as it once was either. We better have some guys step up.

I would assume that the guys with COVID will be cleared before long, so we won’t miss a ton of them. I still like the Cards’ depth a ton more than the Cubs’. There are so many quality arms, even with the few who will be missing.

Boyer14Boyer14
    Participant

Free

Being a Cards fan, I only care about the Cards.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Being a Cards fan, I only care about the Cards.

Same here as far as who I want to win. But objectively speaking I would expect the NLC to be a dogfight with every team but the Pirates having a chance to win it.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

. . . . I would expect the NLC to be a dogfight with every team but the Pirates having a chance to win it.

I just checked betonoline.ag and all four teams have identical bets for over/under wins at 31.5 and identical money lines of -115/-115. Pirates are set at 25.5 and -130/+100.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Boyer14Boyer14
    Participant

Free

They always suck!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cubs open with 16 pitchers, 14 hitters. I think I had missed the news that Descalso is out – or I forgot…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good for Cubs fans that the money fight over cable carrying their new network has been resolved.

This also ensures FOX Sports Midwest will continue on Comcast systems into the future.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not enjoying this season thus far. The Cardinals have received nothing but bad news while the Cubs have received nothing but good news.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Like I said before, the Cubs have had a very positively skewed home schedule to date, including five against PIT and KC. Midweek, they hit the road for three stops. We will know a lot more about them in 10 days, both in terms of the virus and their play.

P.S. Their most impressive results were beating the Reds 2 of 3 in Cincy. A 7-2 start is good no matter how it was generated, but it may or may not be representative…

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Brian, why do you think there is more virus risk on the road?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The whole discussion above was about the Cubs’ protective bubble they have created at home. That cannot continue that at the same level with airplanes, limos, hotels, etc., let alone a visitors clubhouse.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I predict this is coming across the game…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I kinda get the Jose Martinez acquisition, but this one, not so much…

Viewing 25 posts - 601 through 625 (of 713 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years