Cubs thread

Viewing 25 posts - 501 through 525 (of 574 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No, the luxury tax goes up the second year any team is in violation. That is why most teams do not want to miss two years in a row, cycling down below the line the second year before perhaps going back up again in the third year. That second year is where the Cubs are now.

Seems to me that if the Cubs were going with a “tax be damned” approach for 2020, they would not be sitting on the sidelines as all the big free agents are signing elsewhere.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cubs TV plans for next season are looking messy…

Participant

Free

They got to realize that it’s not just Chicago in this negotiation. Xfinity is state wide to an extent and in some area’s where the Cubs aren’t the only game in town. I personally don’t care but I know some downstate Cub fans who do.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Steve Cishek is not returning to the Cubs, instead signing with the White Sox. That seems a good thing for the Cardinals, while the Cubs take more heat for doing nothing of substance this winter.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

So the Dodgers have more in common with the Cardinals than with the big spenders? :o)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I thought you’d like that… Of course, this is incremental spending, which is nowhere near a complete picture.

Participant

Paid - Annual

True. That list could look different by March 1.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Ouch. This is not the kind of puff piece that you would normally find in the P-D.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gscottar…not a lot of punches pulled in that article, and I love it. The more dysfunction in the Cubs’ organization, the better. 😁

Participant

Free

Am I reading that Ricketts put over 1 BILLION dollars into that s-hole Wrigley?

Participant

Paid - Annual

A hundred million here, a hundred million there. It adds up.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I didn’t read the article, but they spent a lot acquiring nearby buildings with rooftop seats. They also had to fix the areas in the stadium where huge hunks of concrete were falling off the upper deck onto seating areas…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Passan is having a big winter breaking news.

Participant

Paid - Annual

That is to avoid an arbitration hearing but he could still be traded and his dispute with the Cubs still hasn’t been resolved although Bryant admitted recently that he expects to lose that dispute.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Avatargscottar.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Participant

Paid - Annual

BHC, that sounds like something the Cardinals would say. The Cubs have entered the delusional phase of their “dynasty.”

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sure, if everything goes perfectly there’s a shot for the Cubs to win the Series. They aren’t without talent. But considering age and projections, I’d say they’re an 85-88 win team.

Participant

Free

The Cubs have not spent a billion on Wrigley. They spent a little, but it’s still crumbling away with every spilled $16 beer.

– They bought up almost all of one side of Clark street to the south of Wrigley
    – Clark St across from Wrigley
    – Built a monstrosity of a hotel across from it with extremely over priced restaurants and bars on the lower level
    – Bought up everything across Addison St and did the same
    – Bought up all of the rooftop buildings, and basically doubled the price for the all inclusive rooftops (Some of that was done before)
    – Put in an outdoor area to watch the games and other various activities

In my opinion, they ruined that area and put a lot of small business owners out of business

It’s almost identical to what DeWitt did with Ballpark Village only bigger and quicker.

People used to argue about the Cardinals not spending due to the investment in BP Village. As far as I’m concerned, what DeWitt and the Ricketts have done should not have any bearing on the actual major league team, they are entirely different entities and investments.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Cubs owner got booed at their convention..and folks think Cardinal fans are impatient.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cubs/ct-chicago-cubs-tom-ricketts-kris-bryant-20200118-pfekw5dmhjez5pkhyiw5wx5mta-story.html

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If it was the Cardinals making these moves, some of our resident cranky types would be complaining about them dumpster diving for slugs…

It may just be me, but I would rather see what Ryan Helsley or Junior Fernandez has to offer than bringing in more Jeremy Jeffress types. But the Cardinals are in better shape prospect-wise close to the majors.

Viewing 25 posts - 501 through 525 (of 574 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years