Cubs thread

This topic contains 470 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 day, 23 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 471 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah, your video media postage has come a long way, Minuteman3. Truth be told, this dinosaur is lost when it comes to that. Boy would I love to add that ability to my posting repertoire.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The question becomes, Who among our loyal TCN flock actually has a Bob Gibson rookie (1959 Topps)? Or a Joe Magrane for that matter – not sure what is considered his rookie card.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know you have them both, BicycleMike. If I had to venture a guess, I would say that both Sooner and Cards1964 are holding Gibby rookie cards as well. Every time I hear the name “Joe Magrane”, I can’t help but think of Todd Zeille as well. Between the two, I’m not quite sure who was pegged to become the brighter star as they were breaking in?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have a 1964 Gibson plus some others of that year. I don’t know if we can insert jpg files here but if we can I can post a pic of one.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Not sure the Cubs will want Castellanos back or not. They might be wise not to, who knows. His 1/3 of a season in Chicago seems to be an aberration as he was WAY WAY better than he has been throughout his career. He hit .321 with 16 homeruns in 51 games for the Cubs.

His career yearly averages are around 20 dingers and .277. Which isn’t too bad but well below what he gave them in those 51 games.

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

“Man, I love everything about Nick Castellanos,” Theo Epstein said in his end-of-season presser Monday afternoon. “What a job he did coming in. I don’t think you can ask more of an in-season trade acquisition than what he did. The production, the consistency, the dynamic at-bats that he had and then the way he went about it — just with a lot of passion, a lot of professionalism, a lot of hard work, a team-oriented approach. Really became invested in the Cubs and his teammates in a short period of time.

“Love the way he plays the game and would love to have him back. It’s obviously a more complicated issue than just we do love to have the guy back. He’s worked long and hard to get to free agency. He had an unbelievable year — especially his time with the Cubs — and he deserves the right to take that into the free-agent market. He knows that we’d love to have him back, but he also knows that it’s not as simple as that.”

You could substitute Mo/Cards for Theo/Cubs and Holliday for Castellanos in the above and it could have been a verbatim quote from October 2009.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/cubs-decision-nick-castellanos-future-free-agency-hunger-passion-cubs-fans-extension

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Castellanos seemed to be a perfect fit for the Cubs. He got to play in a small ballpark and was energized by the pennant race, compared to playing in cavernous Comerica Park in Detroit about 50 games out of first place. I am not surprised he played well in Chicago and I’m sure they will try to bring him back.

I know he isn’t a good defender but he can flat out hit.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

1964 Topps Bob Gibson

Not sure if this will work, but if it does it is a ’64 Topps Gibson, his sixth Topps card. He was also featured in the 1963 Fleer and Post cereal sets.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Mike, it didn’t show up. Let’s see if this works.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Chicago Sun-Times lists the reasons why David Ross would not be a good choice if the Cubs want change.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/cubs/2019/10/2/20894924/hiring-david-ross-as-the-cubs-manager-would-be-a-step-in-the-same-direction-theo-epstein-joe-maddon

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Great job, Euro!!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sweet looking Gibby card, Euro Dandy! Looks like it would score an 8. I bet BicycleMike would fork over a couple hundred clams for that sweet puppy. Too bad we can’t see Scotty’s BG ( that’s “Bob Gibson”) rookie card. Knowing Scotty, I bet his would score a 9.5…..no offense, Euro.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

You could substitute Mo/Cards for Theo/Cubs and Holliday for Castellanos in the above and it could have been a verbatim quote from October 2009.

While your point is, well, on point, Holliday was a lot better than Castellanos. I really hope the Cubs sign him too and eat that contract like the others. He was horrible in Detroit for the most part and make Schwarber look okay on defense.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Euro, how did you insert that Gibson card into your post? I assume it is different than inserting a web link.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There is an “IMG” button (short for IMAGE) in the center of the area just above where you enter your post. Click on it and insert the URL of the photo. That is all there is to it.

The button for links is called “LINK”.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t have a URL for my photo. It is just a jpg file on my computer. There is no web address.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

gscottar, if it’s an image file on your computer, do you have a site/account you can load it on? Something like photobucket, or even google drive might work. You would need to have your settings set so the image is publicly accessible. I know it works if you post the image in a tweet via Twitter. Then you can link it from there.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the tips. I will give it another try.

Edit: Well as you can see below it didn’t quite work. Hmmmm

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Avatar gscottar.
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gibson

Gibson2

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

gscottar, it should work. I simply copied the image address from your post to get the picture you see below. It’s your pic (I see it in dropbox.com).

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Euro Dandy Euro Dandy.
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks Euro. Not sure why it didn’t work for me. I made sure it didn’t have the double http.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

gscott, I looked at both your and my posts and I see the difference. I’m using the actual image address. You are using the address one level up from the actual image (sort of like the folder the image sits in). It’s the same thing that was causing bikemike’s post to not work.

Not sure if you’re this interested, but here’s what you can do to make it work. If you use Chrome as your browser, go to the web page of the image and right click on the image itself. Then select “copy image address” — then use that address to post it on this site. BTW, it’s a very long address.

If you use Internet Explorer, then it’s a little different. Go to the web page of the image and right click on the image itself. Then select “properties” — one of the properties you will see is “address (URL)” — copy that address and use it to post on this site.

Other browsers might work differently, LOL.

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 471 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years