COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Viewing 25 posts - 1,151 through 1,175 (of 1,183 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So if Carlos and Sosa are probably the first ones back, does that mean they were the first ones to contract it?

I don’t think that you can assume that. The protocol indicates that they have to test negative at least twice before coming back, right?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran asked:

So if Carlos and Sosa are probably the first ones back, does that mean they were the first ones to contract it?

Oh my. Are you serious?

Absolutely not. Surely you know that different people react differently, with different severity levels and different recovery times. Some are even asymptomatic.

Using return time to sleuth your way into deducing the identity of “Patient Zero” just isn’t valid.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Reds are going to be tired this weekend, too.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Why couldn’t asymptomatic Covid players be working out? If say, Yadi was feeling well enough, why couldn’t he have caught any pitchers feeling well enough to throw? They could have stayed in game shape that way.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27 asked:

Why couldn’t asymptomatic Covid players be working out?

Because they are quarantined. Showing symptoms or not, they are a potential carrier.

The rules are they sit out a week. Then they must pass two tests at least 24 hours apart. Then they must pass cardiac and other tests – all before they can work out. This is the MLB protocol.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Brian WaltonBrian Walton.
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

You could easily workout and never come within 50 feet of another human.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC said:

You could easily workout and never come within 50 feet of another human.

Of course. What a player does in his own home on his own time is up to him.

However, that was not the discussion here. C27 wanted to know about Molina catching other quarantined pitchers (assumed to be at the ballpark) as part of his workout. That is not allowed on multiple fronts.

Participant

Free

“….about Molina catching pitchers (assumed to be at the ballpark) as part of his workout. That is not allowed.

Amen to that. Asymptomatic does not mean you are not a carrier only that you are not showing symptoms. So Molina tosses a ball to a pitcher and he is possibly handing the guy a future positive. That is also why MLB has reduced tossing the ball around after an out. Just in case a guy is asymptomatic and doesn’t know it yet.
    Signed: Dr Google.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by AvatarMinuteman3.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe I wasn’t clear, but I don’t understand protocol when 2 players who are Covid positive cannot throw a baseball to each other. This is assuming they both feel well. And the location is isolated. Some of this makes as much sense as a person wearing a mask by themselves in a car.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27, all I can tell you is that quarantine means to stay home and avoid contact with others. Unless the two positive cases live together, someone would have to break quarantine to travel to the other. What if person A is getting better quicker than person B and person B reinfects person A? I am not suggesting I know a lot about the virus, but it seems like everyone is learning on the fly.

My bottom line is this: Why risk it? Sit out for a week, pass the tests and get back to work.

When the Cardinals and MLB tried to cut corners is when all heck broke loose.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mets-Yankees Friday game bagged also…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Now the entire weekend in NY has been scrubbed.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This looks more serious than the Reds outbreak… I wonder if the Mets positives caught it in Miami…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A practical take on the positive spin…

Participant

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Free

WOW, when a team’s alternate training site is shut down it must be quite an earthquake. Imagine if the Cards had to shut theirs down just before they darn near emptied it out for replacements. Will have to see how MLB handles this one.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The social media COVID police got all over Molina for two reasons. One is that he posted a group photo of him and others maskless. In addition, he said F-COVID, which those looking for trouble interpreted as him having a disregard for the virus. So he went back to social media to clarify. Not surprisingly, it was a huge overreaction.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

More background.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, it was taken seriously enough that the Cardinals issued a statement today.

ST. LOUIS, Mo., August 24, 2020 – St. Louis Cardinals President of Baseball Operations John Mozeliak issued the following statement this afternoon:

“Given our experience with the outbreak, we have to be extra vigilant as we fight the coronavirus with the three basic principles of social distancing, wearing a mask, and proper hygiene. The Cardinals as an organization must emphasize this in any setting as we move forward. We will remind players and staff that these practices must be done at both home and on the road for us to be successful.”

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No positive player tests across MLB this past week. Two staffers on the same team.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 1,151 through 1,175 (of 1,183 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years