COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Viewing 25 posts - 1,051 through 1,075 (of 1,184 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To gscottar’s earlier point, Derrick Goold is explaining Manfred’s comment, sort of…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To be specific, BEFORE the Cardinals bring up anyone to replace the latest three COVID cases, here is the grand total of 40-man roster players in Springfield:

Alvaro Seijas
    Ricardo Sanchez
    Elehuris Montero
    Justin Williams

Four plus one opening. That is it.

Until some of the early wave of COVID cases are allowed back, the numbers clearly indicate that the Cardinals are in a roster bind.

Participant

Paid - Annual

We might have to go the Marlins route and sign some very marginal free agents who could be expendable later when the covid positive players return.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

We might have to go the Marlins route and sign some very marginal free agents who could be expendable later when the covid positive players return.

I wonder if Ratsbuddy has been getting reps recently against the pitching machine he was going to buy a year or so ago.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

No Euro, that failed to materialize. But maybe I should buy one now and get ready for next Spring in case this virus stuff lingers into 2021?

r/Esteemed Rat

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

That’s possible Rat, so get going. I’ll represent you in negotiations (I work on the cheap) so you can spend all your energy in the cage. I can hear the sound of that wood cracking right now.

Participant

Free

Any word on today’s test results?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Tinky asked:

Any word on today’s test results?

Not that I have heard. The team has put off meeting with us for another day. That does not necessarily mean the news is good or bad, though lately it seems the bad news travels faster…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar said:

That is clearly a possibility, which is why I was surprised Goold seemed to go along with “everything is ok”. One benefit in another day of delay is it marks another day for the asymptomatic cases to hopefully test negative. You know Molina, for example, would be pushing to be activated even if he had an IV stuck in his wrist!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The Grimsley tweet shows some weak sauce on more than one level. Maybe the outbreak hasn’t been just plain old bad luck. Life is harder when you do stupid things.

Participant

Free

Well that’s an interesting development but if he was exhibiting muscle pain then that could be an oversight but it also depends on when he got the haircut. Was it before or after he admitted it but yes he should’ve been in contact. Maybe he just forgot?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe someone could ask Waino why nobody bothered to inform the stylist back whenever the whole team would have know about the contact, they being all tight knit. That is what contact tracing is all about and the org has been very diligent about it, except in this one isolated case I guess. And ask Mo why he would refer to a hair salon stylist as a ‘known associate’. Or was he talking about a different honest mistake. There is only supposed to have been one.

The narrative didn’t even last one day. Like I said, take it with a grain of salt.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is the sequence of what appeared to happen, based on the reports I’ve read:

The Cardinals were out of quarantine and had returned to practice in St. Louis Wednesday
    Helsley got a haircut Thursday morning
    Helsley demonstrated low-grade symptoms and tested positive on Thursday
    The Cardinals did the contact tracing interview
    Helsley told them he had a haircut
    The Cardinals told him to inform the stylist of his positive test
    Helsley did not contact the stylist
    The stylist learned Helsley was positive (through the internet)
    The stylist contacted the TV reporter
    The TV reporter contacted the Cardinals
    (The Cardinals likely contacted Helsley)
    Helsley contacted the stylist and apologized
    The Cardinals issued an explanation to the TV reporter
    The stylist was tested and is quarantined until the result is negative
    The TV reporter reported on the incident

Is that what others conclude, as well?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rick Hummel outlines the current plan:

Commissioner Rob Manfred said Monday that Major League Baseball would like to see at least three consecutive days without a new positive before the Cardinals return to the field, which they could do with encouraging results as early as Wednesday evening or sometime Thursday. The league intends to give the Cardinals several workouts before thrusting them back into the schedule and expect them to compete at game speed.

So best case, work out Thursday and Friday and play Saturday is my conclusion.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/wainwright-and-cardinals-frustrated-by-an-opponent-they-cant-see/article_8bfaef57-57e9-503b-bc38-8e3749b4fd22.html

Participant

Paid - Annual

The fact is the reported incident is not compatible with what either Mo or Waino said yesterday. That reality cannot be talked around nor should it be.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To be effective, enforcement has to come from within.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy said:

The fact is the reported incident is not compatible with what either Mo or Waino said yesterday. That reality cannot be talked around nor should it be.

bling, I don’t know what to say. I provided the specifics, honestly and to the best of my ability. You respond with vague criticisms. I am sorry you are unhappy.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The one thing the Cardinals cold have done differently in the Helsley case is they could have contacted the hair stylist instead of counting on him to do it. I know they shouldn’t have to treat their players like little children but they are currently in a situation where they should try to micro manage every detail they can.

As for Manfred’s comments about three consecutive days of negative tests, it brings us back to the discussion from the other day, which is what makes MLB players genetically superior to the rest of society to think their incubation period is so much smaller? The science doesn’t back this up.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Avatargscottar.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Avatargscottar.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, I just got off the phone with a friend who said the same as you. I am sorry, but I am not hanging it on the Cardinals to have to call every person that every player and staff member in the entire organization came into contact with. That is unreasonable.

Helsley is a fricking adult. He was told directly to contact the stylist. He didn’t do it. It is entirely on him. The Cardinals did not make his hair appointment.

I guess what they could do, however, is follow up with every employee, asking them if they actually did what they were told…

But my bottom line is take responsibility for yourself. Be a man, not a child. Now, maybe he was freaked out after just being told he had COVID, but still, it was on him.

As to Manfred and the shorter testing window, I think you are right on. Anytime the Cardinals come back inside of 14 days, they are taking a calculated risk. If they get another positive case after coming back together again, I think the team is done.

And even if not, and I was a player, I might consider opting out. There is going to be increased risk of injury and I suspect they will not be as competitive as they will need to be because of the stops and starts. It could snowball in a hurry, with a schedule that has at least six or more games in Chicago right off the bat. I hope I am wrong about this, but it has to be considered a realistic possibility.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

But my bottom line is take responsibility for yourself. Be a man, not a child.

Yep. If I were to get sick with COVID, it would be my responsibility to contact the people I would have potentially been in contact with, not my employer’s.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

One thing is very clear. Contact tracing is not a patient responsibility. Sorry Brian, Helsley didn’t do what he was asked, but the “contact tracer” — whoever that is — is the one who failed and owns responsibility. For Mo or the organization to spin it any other way shows terrible leadership at worst, or ignorance at best.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I dunno, Euro. We don’t have the job definition of an MLB contact tracer. It may not be what you assume it to be. I will see if I can do some research into this.

Players are pampered and protected and so there could be an argument that entitles them to not take responsibility – but remember, the haircut was Helsley’s actions as a private person, not as a representative of the team.

My guess – by the fact the Cardinals asked Helsley to call the stylist the second time rather than doing it themselves – is that the set procedure is for the employee to contact his or her contacts. I am still guessing, but it could have liability implications.

Rather than accuse of spinning, let’s talk specifics as best we can. Thanks.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, the news about somebody going to the hair salon means there was more than one honest mistake. The fact that the contact tracers didn’t contact that person means the contact tracing did not work in that case. If the hairdresser had tested positive the next day the organization would have had no knowledge of it. None of that jives with what we were told.

Viewing 25 posts - 1,051 through 1,075 (of 1,184 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years