COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Viewing 25 posts - 951 through 975 (of 1,184 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bikemike said:

Everyone has beaten the COVID team except us and Miami…

SO FAR. We are two weeks into the season, with two teams hit. Six weeks still remain. Does anyone think this is it in terms of MLB outbreaks?

Participant

Free

I agree with both CC and the jaeger. We all have to live our lives as we see best but we do not have to place other people’s lives at risk in doing so. Wearing a mask, social distancing and washing your hands just isn’t too much to ask to do your part to society. If you are older then you reduce your risks with less exposure by doing things like picking up your groceries outside the store or ordering meals for pickup. That’s what we are doing and have been doing for months
    I was soooooo looking forward to this series of games that I may have to revert back to NOOSECAR after I swore off of it earlier this season. I am really hoping for some good college football but that may also be iffy.
    So now we have to wait until Monday to hear that command to PLAY BALL. There is a chance the Cardinals will have to play double headers the rest of the season. They are up to 10 now with 7 already scheduled.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I do not think this is it in terms of MLB outbreaks, but just because our team went off the tracks is no reason to dismiss the significance of fact that 28 out of 30 teams are 2 weeks in with no problems. Let hope they can keep doing it right.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My point is that we have no idea who is “doing it right” and who has just been fortunate. With all of these teams still out in society, outbreaks can happen even when everyone believes they are “doing it right”. Some assume there is this huge gap between two teams (doing it wrong) and the other 28 (doing it right). I highly doubt that is the case, but the next 2 1/2 months will tell the story.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is not about how it starts, but how it is dealt with once there is a positive.

The following the is view of an epidemiologist, who draws a distinction between the Marlins being quarantined for eight days and the Cardinals five.

I find it to be an especially interesting discussion since Joe and Jane Public have to be quarantined for 14 days, yet MLB believes because of their superior testing, they can move more quickly. In the case of the Cardinals, it backfired.

Mo said their contact tracing suggested one case had an incubation period greater than eight days while another was just 36 hours. So what would be the right duration for quarantine?

Seems to me that MLB follows CDC guidelines when it suits them, and when not, they take chances.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Almost nothing about the long-term effects are known, but some early findings are concerning.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

To address the issue of whether or not the Cardinals (and Marlins) are victims of bad luck or randomness, of course we do not really know. It could be that.

But it is not beyond the realm of possibility that someone or a few guys on these teams were lax in their approach to getting infected. We don’t know, and won’t know unless someone can track down the particulars.

Frustrating to say the least. I would watch the Rockies while the Cards are on the sidelines, but do not have cable television and MLB has their stupid blackout practice still in effect. That is another topic, but at least for this year that should be lifted, since no one can attend the games.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian wrote:

I find it to be an especially interesting discussion since Joe and Jane Public have to be quarantined for 14 days, yet MLB believes because of their superior testing, they can move more quickly. In the case of the Cardinals, it backfired.

Seems to me that MLB follows CDC guidelines when it suits them, and when not, they take chances.

Truer words have never been spoken. My wife asked me last night why ballplayers didn’t have to quarantine for 14 days but the rest of society has to. My reply was “Good question.”

I think we all know the reason$$$ why.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatargscottar.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

I wonder how long it will be before the Cards couldn’t make up the games no matter how badly they would want to, that there just wasn’t enough time left to play that many games…many other teams will soon be a third of the way through the season…

Participant

Free

2 possibilities exist. The league basically makes them play double headers regularly to get to 60 or they come to the reality that no way it can happen and just lets them play X amount of games. I believe the playoff format is based on winning percentage. So if the cards can’t play 60. An outside chance can exist (however small it appears) that they could play 54-55 games and snake a playoff spot. Which I think MLB thought through worst case.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My guess as to what this means: Any positive tests today among Cardinals and the series is off. All negatives and they hold off making a decision until tomorrow, when today’s test results are in.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

So it would appear if the Pittsburgh series is off the Cardinals will likely have no days off the rest of the season.

Also you have to figure in some weather at some point.

Participant

Paid - Annual

This is terrible news for all!

If the Pirate series is postponed, you would think that MLB will consider cancelling versus rescheduling some of the postponed games. I cannot believe MLB thinks it is realistic to expect a team to play 55 games over 46 days given health and injury risks.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Uh oh. Mr. Saxon called out…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Adam is justifiably miffed players hear it first from a sports writer on twitter. If you can set aside the hazard aspect, this is turning into pretty good drama. Maybe we could get Joe Kelly back, and . . .

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The other side of the coin… If the information is proven accurate later, someone associated with the team would have to be leaking it. Isn’t that the source problem? How does the media person know when everyone has been informed?

The Cardinals are proud of their online communications tools used to keep in touch with everyone. I wonder why that instant communication isn’t working?

Cardinals Mix Tools and Personal Contact during Separation

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Saxon doubles down… and Waino immediately calls him on it…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Flaherty offers his view. You are right, bling. This is quite engaging… Certainly more so than the Tigers at Pirates game I am currently watching…

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not surprising that Saxon would report something that isn’t true. Maybe he got duped, who knows. But this wouldn’t be the first time he got caught in a fib.

The “I’ve got to be first” culture can be a real drag, and I’m glad Waino is calling Saxon on it.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Sheesh, quite the soap opera. Crazy world we live in, where this “he said, she said” stuff plays out in the public domain.

Imagine if this was the case back in the day. Any of us who have read a little baseball history knows the story of the Babe running through a train car and a woman is chasing him and holding a knife. Some of the writers see this and just shrug saying something like “Looks like the Babe got his women mixed up”.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, those writers did eventually write about it, or we wouldn’t know the story. But it wasn’t on the telegraph 30 seconds later or in the next days’ paper, that is for sure!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Technology is what changes, not human nature. If those guys had i phones and internet the Babe would have been trending in minutes.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good point, blingboy.

Viewing 25 posts - 951 through 975 (of 1,184 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years