COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Viewing 25 posts - 876 through 900 (of 1,184 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One positive yesterday. None today. None again tomorrow and they fly home that morning.

Participant

Paid - Annual

that is VERY GOOD SUPERB NEWS !!

the bad news is with the way the Cubs are currently playing, we need all our horses but we’ll be 7 horses short

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by AvatarDavid Martin.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Seven, but the impact will not really be seven. Please check out my article on the home page.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So much for the good news…

Participant

Free

Any thoughts on when we might see campers showing up at Busch?

Boy did I misread that sentence. I thought you might be referring to RVs being brought into the Busch parking lots to house the team and insure social distancing during home games. Of course that would not sit well with families and such. We just have to get some shorter names for the Alternate Site troops. Maybe the Alternate Site Saviors but use the acronym of that name…….LOL.

I am surprised at my reaction to these baseball goings on. I was already starting to climb the walls with the Covid19 situation and then comes along all this political stuff and then the BLM situation and I was looking for baseball to be my great savior to get my mind onto a more pleasant situation. Now even that has failed me. I have never known depression but I think I may be about to find out what it is unless we can get this season going smoothly.

Participant

Paid - Annual

More news:

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s quite the mix… relievers, starting position players and reserves from first line to deep bench. Can’t see any rhyme or reason to who got COVID.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Also interesting that arguably the two least replaceable positions are now going to be without their starters. I really hope all these guys are ok as that’s the most important thing, but it’s a problem baseball wise too.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

How long will these players be out?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rats, please read the article. It explains the time out to the best of anyone’s ability who cannot read the future. Then if you have follow-on questions, by all means, please ask. Thanks.

Participant

Paid - Annual

MM3 wrote:

I was looking for baseball to be my great savior to get my mind onto a more pleasant situation. Now even that has failed me. I have never known depression but I think I may be about to find out what it is unless we can get this season going smoothly.

I can understand your sentiments MM3, although maybe not with the political stuff. Today I had to put down one of my dogs of 12 years. It was very very difficult to do, a real gut punch. I could use some good news from the Cardinals to get my spirits back up. Unfortunately, it appears I am going to have to be patient for such news.

Participant

Free

Will a team have to play 60 games to quality for the playoffs?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No, nate. They will go by winning percentage.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The list of positives is a little lucky.

-Yadi- Wieters/Knizner
    -DeJong- ugh…Edman becomes starting SS
    -Sosa-…not good…who is the backup SS? who can we even call up? Schrock seems as tretch and Miller is still hurt (we have some opening on the 40 if we want though i guess)
    -Whitley- not great but Reyes and Cabrera and Woodford all seem capable
    -Fernandez- not great but Reyes and Cabrera and Woodford all seem capable
    -Ravelo- Dean, Williams, plenty of options

I really hope the unnamed one isnt Tommy Edman otherwise we will be in a world of hurt at SS, we may need to pick someone up from FA even if it isnt Tommy

We lose two pretty important bats for the lineup and 1 week is like a month in this year…I think Wieters and Knizner are fine to make up for Yadi…but DeJong’s bat can’t be replaced easily…i think the only way is to add Carlson to the team and hope his addition to the OF production and whomever takes DH for Edman/Carp will be enough…Maybe Montero gets the call? He has a cannon of an arm and his bat could be close enough…otherwise maybe Schrock gets the call for 3b (i think he played it some and if i remember was better than i first thought)

Edman (SS)
    Carlson (CF)
    Goldy (1b)
    Carp (DH)
    Oneill (LF)
    Wieters (C)
    Fowler (RF)
    Montero (3b)
    Wong (2b)

you could also go a bit crazier and shift Dean to 1b Goldy to DH and Carp to 3b if you like Dean better, though i don’t know his 1b skills other than he supposedly can play there

I do think Montero is more of an option than some may believe…he got a healthy amount of play during Spring Training and is already on the 40man…for a week or 2 he might be worth a look if we are concerned on 40man spots

If Miller is ready that helps a lot, even if i am not happy with his play personally

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by thejagerthejager.
    Participant

Free

gscottar I know what you feel. Just a short time ago we had to put down our 17 year old pup. She was blind and deaf but still managed to go through her day almost normally. We felt that we lost a child. Baseball, don’t let me down now.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I assume the Cardinals did not receive permission from the seventh player to disclose his identity. Of course, it will be evident whenever the team takes the field again.

Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar I know what you feel. Just a short time ago we had to put down our 17 year old pup. She was blind and deaf but still managed to go through her day almost normally. We felt that we lost a child. Baseball, don’t let me down now.

Very similar to our situation. Our dog had diabetes. She was blind and could barely hear but was still happy go lucky until the very end. Dogs will break your heart but they are the best.

Participant

Free

We all need to hope that the unnamed 7th player is not Goldy.

Participant

Paid - Annual

There must be a reason that unknown player hasn’t been named.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The way many fans acted over the last few days with unsubstantiated accusations against a number of players who are not positive, if one of them turned out to be positive and it was me, I might be reluctant to share my name, too. When all is said and done, as noted, it won’t do any good, as it is going to come out, anyway.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is interesting. In my analysis, it could be a challenge for the Cards to get back to 30 without some 40-man moves they may not want to make.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Well the season could not have started much worse for the Cardinals and their fans. Not only is the club one of two teams that got hit hard with the virus, but their rival Chicago Cubs are off to a great start.

Not the way you want to welcome baseball back. But lets hope the inflicted players recover well, and have no lingering effects of the virus.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Our homepage article today has been updated with this news and more.

Participant

Free

It was rumored a couple days ago that it was Carlos Martinez.

Why hasn’t Ravelo been DL’d?

Viewing 25 posts - 876 through 900 (of 1,184 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years