COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Viewing 25 posts - 801 through 825 (of 1,195 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is highly ethically questionable to name players who have not provided their permission to do so. That is why those who you know and trust have not done so.

Some irresponsible people have already begun to assign their own version of blame without having any facts. Such is how our world has degraded in 2020.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

It is highly ethically questionable to name players who have not provided their permission to do so.

I do believe that Hippa rules make it illegal to do so. That for sure pertains to hospitals and medical clinics. Not sure if it pertains to press but, as Brian said, it would be ethically questionable. Sooner or later we will know by their absence if nothing else. I suspect they will all agree to release of their names.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, HIPPA applies to health care providers, including those employed by the team. No, it does not apply to media. As you note, we will learn the names soon enough, but the quest to be first leads to some cutting corners that if wrong, could hurt innocent people. Sadly, ethics matter less and less in the world in which we live.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Big-picture observation from Ken Rosenthal. One-fifth of MLB is currently not able to play.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some context. Mo said yesterday that the local test results would be known last night, but they would not get the MLB lab results until sometime today. This is likely why there has been what seems like a delay in making an announcement.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If the season continues and if our roster is severely depleted like the Marlins are we going to sign a bunch of released free agents to get by with? I really don’t understand why MLB doesn’t come up with some kind of special provision around the 40 man roster rules this year. What is the point of having 30 players at the Alternative Training Site if you can’t use them in fear of having to pass them through waivers when the infected players become healthy?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar asked:

What is the point of having 30 players at the Alternative Training Site if you can’t use them in fear of having to pass them through waivers when the infected players become healthy?

The stated reason is to give the minor leaguers playing experience in a season with no minor league games.

For the Cardinals, this group includes 2020 draftees Masyn Winn and Jordan Walker.

(I do believe your broader question of a more relaxed 40-man roster in 2020 has merit, as well.)

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah I heard someone on the radio yesterday basically say “what is the big deal of having a few players infected when each team has 30 other players to choose from? They should just play on.”

That is just not the correct way to look at it because the teams really don’t have 30 other players to choose from. They only have a a few players to choose from who are on the 40 man roster.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar said:

Yeah I heard someone on the radio yesterday basically say…

They only have a a few players to choose from who are on the 40 man roster.

1) Well, a lot of things are said on the radio that are misinformed. That was one.

2) The “few” is actually up to 10. 40 (if the roster is full) minus the 30 active (minus any 10-day IL players).

Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope MLB can turn this around. However, I am very concerned that they will not be able to. The lack of a consistent approach in dealing with the virus across states coupled with inadequate testing of the general public complicates the situation (capacity and turnaround). The chance of inadvertent exposure is real and I am hoping this is the case (versus not following the protocol). Once the virus is in the Petry Dish all bets are off.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I admire MLB for giving it a go, but this may not be able to continue. Once the virus catches on, so to speak, it seems to burn like a wildfire.

It will be interesting to see if the NBA has the same issue. Everyone is in one place, so on the one hand it is easier to control. But then if cases start to come up, it will be the entire league that is potentially impacted.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think this has been brought up before, but I’m wondering how cancelling the season will effect vesting options like the ones Andrew Miller and Carpenter have.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mud said:

I think this has been brought up before, but I’m wondering how cancelling the season will effect vesting options like the ones Andrew Miller and Carpenter have.

It was to be a straight pro-ration, but with just five games played, for example, the numbers would not make sense. This is one more thing the two sides would have to renegotiate if the season is stopped for good.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess they will have to know the results of the rest of the tests before they can tell everyone if tomorrow’s games are still on.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The full MLB press release is on our home page.

The following is information on the recent positive test results in Major League Baseball:

· St. Louis Cardinals: After two Cardinals players tested positive, the entire team was tested in Milwaukee yesterday using a rapid COVID-19 test and saliva samples also were sent to an MLB laboratory. The rapid tests indicated that one additional Cardinals player and multiple staff members may be positive. The results from the MLB PCR saliva tests will not be available until later in the day. Based on the results of the rapid tests conducted in Milwaukee, tonight’s scheduled game between the Milwaukee Brewers and the Cardinals at Miller Park has been postponed. We will provide additional updates as information becomes available.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mo is meeting with the media tonight at 7 pm, so there will be more updates later.

P.S. I would put high odds on the team not using those hotel reservations in Detroit tomorrow and Monday nights…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

“No plan survives first contact with the enemy.”

Conjures up images of Clausewitz, Sun Tzu, Moltke, Napoleon, Eisenhower, Manfred, et al.

Participant

Free

We took a left hook to the chin. I’ve seen nothing to make me believe it was a haymaker. The Phillies proved you can play a 3 game series with a semi-totally infected team and not contract the virus. The game itself is not a vector of transmission. Tighten up the clubhouse, hotels, and plane rides. Take a deep breath, handle the rescheduling issues and play on!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Recall that the Cardinals plan to utilize the visitors clubhouse in Detroit starting tomorrow…

Viewing 25 posts - 801 through 825 (of 1,195 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years