COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Viewing 25 posts - 601 through 625 (of 917 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The biggest name to opt out so far… Price must feel strongly, as he is leaving $11.8 million on the table.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Another way to look at Price’s decision is to consider how many years of earning $30 million does it take to make an additional 11.8 not a big deal, and thus not worth the risk and hassle he perceives. I thought weeks ago we might see this with some of the top earners since they are likely the older guys with larger families.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

True. At this point, he shouldn’t need the money to pay his bills.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

And now it is our turn. Genesis Cabrera and the lefty Sanchez.

Participant

Free

The only thing consistent about Covid so far is the media’s efforts to politicize and sensationalize it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

GC – you’ve been asked to please keep your comments to baseball. Thank you.

Participant

Free

You posted about masks…how is that any different than what I posted.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I was typing at the same time BW was posting with his message about keeping it to baseball. I apologized to him for my post about masks. Let’s stick to baseball.

Participant

Free

I am beginning to think that even this 60 game season will be over before it ever starts. 20 more days and the numbers on the virus IL seem to be increasing. If one or two are running around inside the camp now it could spread like wildfire. If for any reason the season got cancelled there would be one good thing – NO DH.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One optimistic thought. The people testing positive now had the virus before they reached their teams. Perhaps with tighter access and control now that they have reported, the new infections will be limited. At least that is what the teams must be hoping.

Participant

Paid - Annual

What’s the number of new cases that will completely shut a camp down? One? Two? Three? Five? Ten?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Remember that there are different kinds of cases. Asymptomatic players should be able to return sooner. On the other hand, a guy like Freddie Freeman is pretty sick, so will be out for some time.

I suspect that because of the impact across the game, no team would close a camp without consulting with MLB first.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Are asymptomatic cases less contagious than cases with severe symptoms?

Participant

Free

I look at the asymptomatic as even more dangerous than those with symptoms because they are not as likely to seek medical attention or quarantine themselves until they have an indication that they have it. But I don’t know if they are more contagious or not. Some ‘experts’ are now saying the virus has mutated into a much more contagious version. Hopefully not as you can find experts on anything you want these days. Testing is the key to discovery and because of my circumstances I never go near anybody without a mask so, as you can guess, I never get out much – PLAY BALL…….PLEASE PLEASE.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Eventually this will all come to an end. They will find a vaccine, or they will find a cure, or the whole thing will just blow over. In the meantime let’s all continue to be responsible about this.

Participant

Free

let’s all continue to be responsible about this.

Amen to that mud. Responsible to me means to consider others. Is there to be no coverage of the training camp?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Lets not get into which experts say what. What we do know is MLB’s protocol.

An asymptomatic player is more likely to return sooner. He must pass two separate tests as well as temperature checks. As noted in the Camp Notes thread, Shildt said he hoped this would be “five-days-ish” for Cabrera and Sanchez (and assumedly now for Montero, as well).

If a player actually has the virus, he still goes into quarantine and still has to pass the same tests. But it stands to reason since he is showing symptoms, he is going to miss more time. This time is going to vary by individual and how sick they are.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MM3 said:

Is there to be no coverage of the training camp?

This is disappointing. We’ve had an entire thread on Camp News for the last three days and I have been working diligently to get you the news there. Maybe spend more time on that thread and less on this one? 😉

Participant

Free

Well I wasn’t really talking TCN coverage but I plead guilty. I rarely scan over the forum subjects board as I get on three or four and get locked into those via email. Will try harder. But I happened to just watch Danny Mac and Motor Mouth Thompson on a Cards 30 minute program and they showed some camp rules and interviewed Mo which was no big deal. Guess I better broaden my horizons but I had kind of a hellzapoppin holiday.
    Our water heater blew out early on July 4. Called a plumber at 9 expecting to schedule him for Monday but he insisted on coming no charge. Even his truck has a huge sign on it that says “No service charge nights, weekends, holidays.” Can’t beat that. The guy was on of the 3 owners of the company. I called him at 9am and was flabbergasted when he drove at at 11:59 am with the job completed and that included a trip back to town to get a water heater. Will miracles never cease.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I would wager most of these players are more secure in camp, playing, and getting tested regularly than they are at home and certainly out in the general public. But there is a lot of research on people’s inability to properly calculate risk so I guess this should be no surprise.

Participant

Paid - Annual

What does CDC say to do if you’re tested positive without symptoms. Isn’t that the procedure that MLB is following?

Participant

Paid - Annual

“I would wager most of these players are more secure in camp, playing, and getting tested regularly than they are at home”.

Not so sure CC. They are not doing baseball 24/7 and I doubt they are hunkered down alone playing video games the rest of the time.

Viewing 25 posts - 601 through 625 (of 917 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years