COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Viewing 25 posts - 576 through 600 (of 917 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another weird situation that will be common in this weird year. Four Phillies were placed on the injured list with no explanation why. Teams are following confidentiality guidelines about COVID so no one is sharing details. Unless the players themselves disclose why, it may remain a mystery, even if they go on the special COVID IL.

https://theathletic.com/1907144/2020/07/02/phillies-roster-moves-introduce-new-gray-area-for-mlb-in-pandemic-era/

Participant

Free

Medical confidentiality could backfire if MLB keeps the Covid IL lists confidential. Most of these players are easily recognized by fans and fans need to know if they happen to come in contact with that player unmasked or not. Not sure if Hippa rules apply in this kind of situation.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The HIPPA rules do apply, but over time, to me they seem to be selectively followed and cited. In a normal IL situation, reporters would see the players in the clubhouse and the vast majority of the time, they just explain what the problem is. In the minor leagues, the organization tends to go the secrecy route. For COVID, the IL players will just disappear, off to quarantine, so they cannot be asked directly. But as noted, it will become fairly obvious, anyway.

Participant

Free

You are right. We are going to have to go on the NO SEE rule. If NO SEE you can assume they have the bug or are quarantining because of exposure. But if some fan happens to see them out and about and knows their status they will rat them out in a New York minute. If Goldy suddenly is not in the lineup and not in the dugout and the beat reporter doesn’t him in the clubhouse, the scribblers will be working overtime with their ‘breaking news.’ Wanna bet?……lol

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On one hand, the player has a right to privacy. On the other hand, it could make a big difference if the player himself has COVID or he was exposed to someone who does. The longer-term impacts of getting the virus are not fully understood yet, but there are concerns that even strong, young athletes may have lingering health exposures. I hope future learnings don’t cause us to look back at playing in 2020 as having contributed to long term problems for those who got it.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The first rates, representing about 80% of the population, look encouragingly low.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The 7.1% for the NBA compares to 1.2% for MLB.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reminder why these sports percentages cannot be compared to the general population…

Participant

Free

Generally you are right in that you need to have a symptom to be tested but the Missouri National Guard has been going around to cities in the state and testing anybody that wanted to be tested. They were in Springfield for two days on 12 hour shifts and tested several hundred. IIRC the # of positives was very very low if any at all. We talked to a neighbor today who had one of the original type tests and he said it was awful when they went in your nose you were not sure where it was going to come out. I think this weekend will be a super test of the whole country and I am thinking the positives will go through the roof in a week or so. I hope I am wrong but I am just not seeing masks anywhere except on store employees. PLAY BALL (if you have enough)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

How many times did Pham say MuthaF***a after he found out?

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatar858booyah.
    Participant

Free

Jimmie Johnson is the true marathon man of NASCAR. Not a beer guzzling redneck. The guy would be my best bet to recover quickly. Bad to see the Blues affected. St Louis is not exactly a cold spot in the virus tests.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Koz joins the growing list, but the real blows are Freeman and Smith – front line players.

To clarify, Kozma was not invited to the camp in Atlanta, but the satellite one.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I went and watched the parade today. I sat in my car and watched several hundred people with only the newspaper photographer wearing a mask. People say they want sports back and they want to get back to normal but they can’t bother to be inconvenienced by wearing a mask.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

An important clarification as to why some teams are releasing names and others not.

Participant

Free

The reaction to the Wuhan Virus is the most exaggerated, over-blown thing in the history of the world. Did we shut our economy down during the Spanish Flu, WW1 & 11, the Swine Flu and Sars…no? I know of no one who has died from this nor do I know anyone that has. I have only known 1 person who has had it and they got over it in a week. This is a media-driven thing and I despise them.

Participant

Paid - Annual

GC – you may not have much personal experience with it, but 11,000,000 cases in the world and nearly 3,000,000 in the U.S. seem to be troubling numbers. Plus all the family and friends surrounding those people.

Participant

Free

It is a virus…have you ever had the flu or a virus? They are not pleasant…you are sick for a few days and then you get over it and live your life. You don’t shut things down.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I tend to agree with you, GC. But let’s leave it at that because wearing a mask has been completely politicized. That said, I for one, absolutely do not want to get this virus. There have been studies that have determined that wearing a mask doesn’t really prevent the spread of the virus. Personally, sometimes I wear a mask, sometimes I don’t .

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

AL Central players Salvador Perez and Miguel Sano are among the new positives.

As just noted, mask wearing has become a political issue for some. For that very reason, please keep your personal opinions on the matter off this baseball board. Thank you.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Wearing a mask absolutely cuts down on the droplets of saliva that are spread by talking, coughing, sneezing, etc. The reduction is tested to be approx. 70%. Not wearing a mask and not social distancing in a “close in” environment is both ignorant and highly inconsiderate to others.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry, BW. I was typing as you posted.

Viewing 25 posts - 576 through 600 (of 917 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years