COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Viewing 25 posts - 551 through 575 (of 576 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hopefully, the players will be as safe as possible away from the park, but as MM3 and others noted, there are going to be positive tests. Following the protocols and being as responsible as possible seem the key to keeping the season moving ahead.

The Cardinals already in town and the front office folks had their first round of tests and are awaiting results.

https://twitter.com/ByMcCullough/status/1277575239057227776

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some older coaches with other teams, including Dusty Baker and Ron Washington, are reporting for duty.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mike Leake is the first player known to opt out of the season. Plus the team has some other issues…

https://twitter.com/Boomskie/status/1277669908231229440

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not 100% clear, but it looks like the Cards may have already paid the Mariners for their part of Leake’s contract…

Participant

Paid - Annual

I have been wondering that myself. It appears to be clear as mud.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Nationals have two players who plan to sit out, Ryan Zimmerman and Joe Ross.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29384355/nationals-ryan-zimmerman-joe-ross-opt-2020-season

I think we should expect that most teams will have at least one player who won’t play this year.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Not 100% clear, but it looks like the Cards may have already paid the Mariners for their part of Leake’s contract…

Rebate?

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Leake was traded by the Reds rather than extend him. The Cardinals and the Mariners both had to pay to get rid of him. The Mariners will have to pay another $5M so that the D-backs can get rid of him.. Leake will be free agent after 2020. Lets see if he’s one of the loudest voices complaining if he doesn’t get the offer he wants in free agency.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I saw a mention that Leake has exactly 10.0 years of service time, entitling him to a full MLB pension.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Leake is owed at least a $5M option for 2021. I assume he will still get that money even though he is opting out this year, assuming that he plays next year.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 22 hours ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Was thinking today of the irony that will exist with the Cardinals playing to an empty stadium and right next door people will packed like sardines in ball park village drinking and watching the game.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It will be interesting to see how the city officials deal with this possibility. Same could occur in Chicago.

P.S. I would bet a lot of money that the Cardinals stadium ops folks are busily working on a social distancing plan to open Busch that they could take to officials for approval.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I would think the Ballpark Village area will have social distancing restrictions. I doubt any place will be “packed like sardines” for awhile.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

From CBS, Leake is not known to be high risk. Meaning he forgoes his pro-rated pay and service time until it’s established he is high risk for 2020.

The 9mil due from SEA to ARI could include the 4mil from STL, just unmentioned, but it appears Leake has chosen unpaid for 2020, so STL should owe nothing.

I agree GS, his buyout for 2021 is a different season, not this pro-rated version. Whether he plays or not, I am expecting all 2021 buyouts to be due in full, until we hear different, (if ARI decides to exercise Leakes buyout).

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The 2021 buyouts are being debated now by the two parties. It should not be difficult to guess their respective positions.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So much yet to be learned…

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Discussing 2021 buyouts now? Why is there a need to discuss the 2021 season when 2020 still hasn’t had an opening day?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The buyouts are a small part of a bigger matter, which is options vesting and how the shortened 2020 season applies. It is definitely an important matter to get resolved quickly. I had posted a link or two about this over on the salaries thread, which would be a better place to continue this discussion. Thanks.

Participant

Free

It will be interesting to see how the city officials deal with this possibility. Same could occur in Chicago.

P.S. I would bet a lot of money that the Cardinals stadium ops folks are busily working on a social distancing plan to open Busch that they could take to officials for approval.

I’m honestly surprised no one is talking about this more but am not shocked if they were trying to keep quiet about it. The Cardinals and all other 29 teams should have at least a plan in place for 2021. “wink Wink”

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Right. Since the owners tried for months to convince the players to take less salary because they could not have fans this season, they have to walk a bit lightly… 😉

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

No guts, no glory! It’s not always stupid. Just make it part of a challenge trial. Where would we be without challenge trials? We’d be minus a few vaccines for sure.

Full disclosure though: I’m not volunteering. 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 551 through 575 (of 576 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years