COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum COVID19 Virus vs Baseball

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 487 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Well the spike in virus cases in Florida doesn’t make feel any better about Bader’s well being.

Participant

Free

Well, here I am in balmy south of France, confined to my home by government decree, except for permissible trips to buy first necessities or medical visits, and no baseball apart from reruns on MLB-TV. Even the hearty Cardinal Nation has run out of gas, after having beaten “The Outfield Dilemma” to death. What are we to do? Fortunately I have a rather extensive library and a garden bursting with new vegetation screaming for attention. But those things just don’t fill the need for the pop of leather and the crack of bats. Almost makes one wish for a good dose of coronavirus just to get it over with.

Participant

Free

CiF wrote: Almost makes one wish for a good dose of coronavirus just to get it over with.

The key word there CiF is ‘Almost’. But at age 80 and with COPD I will pass on that wish. However, your remarks about the Outfield Dilemma ring true.

Participant

Free

“The key word there CiF is ‘Almost’. But at age 80 and with COPD I will pass on that wish. However, your remarks about the Outfield Dilemma ring true.”

Yes, that was rather careless of me Minuteman. I’ve reached 78 with no serious health issues and I shouldn’t be tempting fate. Put it down to the hallucinatory effects of baseball withdrawal.

Participant

Free

Put it down to the hallucinatory effects of baseball withdrawal.

That it is for sure.

Reading that Edmonds was sick with pneumonia but that his Covid test had not come back yet. Anybody hear more on that?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Edmonds improved enough to be released from the hospital but no word on the test yet.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I told my wife that I’m not as afraid of dying as I am going to the hospital.

Participant

Free

Virginia has issued a stay at home order until June 10. Maryland has also issued a stay at home order indefinitely.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Kim is changing locations…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mark Saxon shared the internal memo from Cardinals executives to team employees regarding their employment status and pay. It appears to be a standard message across MLB.

Participant

Free

The players only got paid until the end of April correct?

I mean if your not running your business then you’ve got to cut your losses somehow. It doesn’t sound like this season is going to get going with butts in the seats until at least late June.

I’ve been furloughed for 2 weeks and am drawing unemployment which I haven’t gotten yet. My company allowed me to cash out all of my sick pay and Vacation. So I’ve got a couple checks coming in. Yesterday they had a food drive where you had to sign up. Hopefully the Cardinals do the same for most of their employees and they just have to weather the storm for a month until things are safer.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No, MLB and minor league players will be paid (at least partial salaries) through at least the end of May. The scale varies by level and experience. Check out the detailed article on the front page.

Interim Pay for Minor Leaguers Extended, but What Will their Season Be?

Participant

Free

I was just going by recollection or so I thought. Well they’d have to agree to the start date before making any financial commitment past the end of May.

Rumor has July as the start date now with a 100 game schedule ending in mid October and some other stuff like a neutral site world series in LA to make up for the ASG being cancelled. Also heard if the dodgers make it that they’d shift it to San Diego.

Participant

Free

Edmonds an ounced on Instagram he tested positive for the virus but is noq aymptom free. Im not sure hes still contagious, though.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Mario Cuomo, the governor of New York, has been in a state of panic. He said as many as 16,000 New Yorkers could die because of the caronavirus. There are roughly 20,000,000 people in New York, and millions more in the surrounding areas. 16,000 divided by 20,000,000 comes out to be .0008. So the expected death rate from this virus is about 8 one hundredths of 1 percent in New York according to what Cuomo said. Not to diminish the pain and grief that comes with the death of a loved one, but there are more people dying each day from the obesity epidemic in our country than from this. I can’t help but wonder how many people are as confused about all this as I am. On a personal note I can say that I caught the ‘super flu’ that came through in 1968. I was a skinny teenager then, but still lost 15 pounds in 3 days. I still remember very poignantly how bad it was.

Participant

Free

Mario is the former governor. His son Andrew is the current governor. Andrews brother Chris works for CNN and has tested positive. And its not confusing because the reason this is such a big deal is that 16,000 could die with social distancing restrictions in place. Without social distancing that number would be far greater.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

Not to make this political, but how does the governor of Georgia (or anyone for that matter) not know until March 31 that asymptomatic people can spread the virus? It feels like so many people just thought it would ago if they ignored it and buried their heads.

Participant

Free

As has been long suspected, intelligence is now coming out on how China was not truthful in disclosing this virus to the world resulting in a lot of probable unnecessary deaths. But now is not the time for blame for that will not save one life. Plenty of time for blame after the virus is conquered. My best wishes to all and try as you might you may have to get out from time to time. Yesterday I had a great home project until I realized I needed a few boards from Lowes. Took my mask, oxygen tank and headed out very early hoping to get jump on the busy time. Found out that contractors also get there early but it was like everybody knew the rules and kept that 6 foot distance and gave me an extra 10 feet when they saw that oxygen tube coming out of my mask……..lol. Anyway – successful mission and even the checkout was painless since I handled my credit card and they never touched it – also had a plastic sneeze shield around the checkout register.

Sorry to hear about Jimmy Ballgame but he has been in the news too much lately and not always in a good light. Athletes love lives can sometimes get complicated with all the groupies hanging around. A great day to all and keep that distance. The life you save may be………MINE.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by AvatarMinuteman3.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t want to be overbearing, but I feel it would be better if we get away from calling out politicians by name here. While this crisis is affecting us all, there are other more appropriate places than a Cardinals baseball forum to head off in those directions. Thank you for understanding.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

At this point I don’t really see how the season, even a partial season, gets played.

Participant

Free

One more thing no one is considering is that a July 1st scheduled start makes Spring Training in Arizona a bit of an issue. They play rookie ball but they play those games at night to avoid the excessive heat. Would they have to switch it to all night training and games then?

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 487 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years