Cooperstown Class of 2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cooperstown Class of 2020

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wish defense mattered more to getting into the hall. Rolen and Edmonds would be shoe ins.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

4 Jeter only ballots is completely asinine. Have these voters forgotten that both Simmons and Miller will be joining Jeter on the stage in Cooperstown, therefore their efforts in making him the only played elected isn’t going to work?

Participant

Free

If you want something done right, don’t leave it up to journalists. They never fail to disappoint.

Participant

Free

Walker and Jeter get in.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Jeter not unanimous — 396 out of 397 I think is what I heard.

Walker squeezed in at 76.6%. He had 6 spare votes.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

The writers should be embarrassed that Curt Schilling didn’t get in.

Participant

Free

Participant

Free

Larry Walker’s journey through the voting process was quite a ride

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good news that Walker made it in. He is deserving.

Participant

Free

So Schilling is at 70% with two left on his eligibility. One would believe that his time is coming, possibly next year. On top of that the list of first time players eligible for the HOF is very very weak next year with the prominent names being Tim Hudson, Mark Buehrle, and Torii Hunter. Taking that into consideration, Schilling might be the only one elected next season barring he doesn’t give voters a reason to drop him.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

On the MLBN announcement show, while discussing Schilling’s vote total, someone (Stark I think I remember) said that the last 11 players who fell short with at least 70% of the votes then went on to be elected the next year. So that does bode well for Schilling.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Free

Schilling has been deemed not good enough for the Hall by many sports writers because he has the wrong politics.

Ty Cobb and his puritan beliefs nods in approval.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Love seeing Walker get there. Nice class with him and Ted Simmons. Jeter was a lock of course.

I wonder if Walker will be the first Famer to go in as a Rockie?

Participant

Free

He’ll go in as a Rockie.

I’m waiting for the ballots to go public in 2 weeks. The writers had the option of being public or private on who they voted for. Like to see the one guy who didn’t vote for Jeter have the stones to go public because he’s gonna get roasted. I’ve already joked with my Boston buddy about it being Bob Ryan or that Curly haired O’shaughnessy. lol not even sure if they get one.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m really glad that Larry Walker was elected to the HOF. I was pissed when Peter Gammons admitted that he took Walker off of his ballet. Larry Walker is proud oh his Canadian heritage, so out of respect for his time with the Expos, he might go in with a plain cap. IMHO, he should definitely go in with a Rockies cap.

Participant

Free

858booyah, I’m not sure if you know this or not, but there is a guy on Twitter who tracks the HOF voting as voters make their votes public. Bob Ryan and Dan Shaughnessy are both in his tracker already and you can see who they voted for here: https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=F2E5D8FC5199DFAF!17003&ithint=file,xlsx&authkey=!ALD8BEbKmTajwcI

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, your byline states that Walker was a member of the Cardinal 2004 World Championship team. We wish that was the case.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatargscottar.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks. The careless mistake has been corrected.

Participant

Free

nice that walker got in. I just read an article from the new York post saying that the person who didn’t vote for jeter should have to come out and say who they are and why. that is totally stupid for a least a couple reasons. its keeps people from being stalked or terrorized by people like the person that wrote that article just because poor jeter didn’t get a unanimous vote. also jeter isn’t the greatest to play his position. if you were going to put a team together of the greatest of the greats based on what they did and the position they played, jeter wouldn’t be on it. so one could argue he isn’t a first ballot hall of famer on that alone if they wanted and they would be just as right as anyone else. now some will argue that doesn’t matter, a hall of famer is a hall of famer. maybe but if that’s so, then these voting percentages should never have become a thing cause they don’t matter.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I also find it frustrating that the same peer writers who did not criticize the guy for taking 5-6 players off his ballot last year to vote for Jeter only this year now want to attack the one guy who didn’t vote for Jeter. These outlying voters are making a mockery of the process that most voters take seriously.

Overall, the writers have made such a mess over time by not unanimously voting in players who were far, far, far better than Jeter. Now they seem to only want to make some voters accountable.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Overall, the writers have made such a mess over time by not unanimously voting in players who were far, far, far better than Jeter.

Or to go one step further, how about guys perhaps better than Jeter who were outright snubbed on on their first ballot?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I only include this as an example. The Hall of Fame itself is always very clear to never label the winners of the top broadcasting awards (Frick) and writer awards (Spink) as “Hall of Famers”. Important honors, but not members of the Hall of Fame.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Uek! What a great guy. My favorite Uecker line, which is not a call while broadcasting but was made during n appearance on Johnny Carson when Johnny asked if he had won any awards during his career. Uek in his dead-panned style said “Sure…Minor League Player of the Year one time………(pause for build-up….. Course I was in the Major Leagues at the time”. 🙂

So now that Teddy is enshrined, what will be the Cardinals approach to this awkward “Retire the Hall of Famers numbers” deal? I say awkward as not all HOFers numbers are retired. Will #23 no longer be worn? How about Larry Walker’s 33? Likely not an issue for Walker as he was with the club such a short time.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 163 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years