Cooperstown Class of 2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cooperstown Class of 2020

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 week ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Dwight Evans, Steve Garvey, Tommy John, Don Mattingly, Marvin Miller, Thurman Munson, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker, Ted Simmons and Lou Whitaker are the candidates the Modern Baseball Era Committee will consider for Hall of Fame election for the Class of 2020.

The candidates will be reviewed and voted upon Dec. 8 at the Baseball Winter Meetings.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Lots of good not great players on that list.

Steve Garvey is in the Padres HOF. lol

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No Les “Sugar” Cain? Teammate, “Sweet” Lou Whitaker, certainly makes a valid claim towards enshrinement. As does Simba, Garvey, Mattingly, Munson, Murphy…….heck, enshrine them all! Except MM…….and I’m not talking about KC’s new skipper.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If I had only two votes, they would go to Simmons and Marvin Miller.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Miller, Munson, and Simmons are the most deserving of the lot in my opinion. Hope at least two of those get in, with one of them named Teddy.

The thing is though, Miller changed the game more than anyone could imagine, so he should be a slam dunk. Then you have two catchers with parallel careers. One played in New York and on a couple of World Series teams, the other played in the Midwest and was on a pennant winner somewhat late in his career.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d go with Simmons and Parker. They were both tough competitor. Both had stats that were deserving.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Most of the players on the list should be in the Hall.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Miller too.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

I really think they all would probably deserve to be there. simmons to me is a definite and should have already been there. if I could only take 2, the other one right now probably would be parker but its close with munson. though mattinglys numbers were really great til he started having back problems so he should be considered cause otherwise I believe he would have earned it on merit by the normal route. puckett wasa voted in though he retired early due to eye issues. murphy is an interesting phenomena. he was so great for a short time but he just became not even good all of a sudden. not because of any known injury or cause. kind of like the reverse of those movies where someone would overnight go from average to extraordinary in some fashion.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

I would vote for Ted Simmons and Dwight Evans. Simba’s numbers rank with all the great catchers in baseball and he played his career in a Pitcher’s ballpark. Dewey’s numbers mirror Jim Rice’s and you tack on the 8 Gold Gloves and he’s a slam dunk for me.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Dwight Evans was pretty dang good. I remember one year, and it seemed he had been fairly pedestrian before this, but before the season Tony Kubek said Evans would be the AL MVP that year. I thought “What, Evans has a great arm but is not that good other than that”. And he had a great year and it made me realize that Kubek really knows the game. He never seemed to get the fanfare of guys like Lynn, Rice and Yaz, but was a darn good player and probably is deserving.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

How the world has changed. Curt Flood, Jr. is soliciting money for a PR campaign that will cost $10,000-$15,000 per month, totaling $100,000, to run until next December. The sole purpose is to influence the votes of the 16 members of the Golden Days Hall of Fame Committee (1950-69) through public opinion…

Seems to me they would be better off lobbying the 16 actual voters, but what do I know?

Here were the 16 voters last time (some could change): Hall of Fame members Jim Bunning, Rod Carew, Pat Gillick, Ferguson Jenkins, Al Kaline, Joe Morgan, Ozzie Smith and Don Sutton; major league executives Dave Dombrowski, Jim Frey, David Glass and Roland Hemond; and veteran media members Steve Hirdt, Dick Kaegel, Phil Pepe and Tracy Ringolsby.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years