Cooperstown Class of 2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cooperstown Class of 2020

Viewing 13 posts - 151 through 163 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I wouldn’t be opposed for Simmon’s #23 to be retired but I wouldn’t be upset if they didn’t considering he played 30 years ago and numerous Cardinals have worn that number including Rangers killer David Freese. The fact the Cardinals have let so many other players were the number makes it tricky to me. Its not like with Pujols whose number is essentially retired as no other player has ever worn his #5.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

23 should not be retired, in my view. Too many retired numbers as it is. It should be reserved for only the very best of the best. If there is a doubt, the answer should be “no”. As a point of reference, 50 individuals in Cooperstown have Cardinals ties.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Jerseys should be retired not #’s. I would make an exception for Stan Musial.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

bikemike, I loved the Carson-Uecker interviews — called him “Mr Baseball” — here are a couple good ones I remember, something like “I helped the Cardinals win the pennant. I got hepatitis……after the trainer injected me with the virus.”

Another was something like “I signed with the Braves for just a few thousand dollars. Yes, it was a little insulting. Seriously, I didn’t have that kind of dough to cough up.”

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Bob Uecker was so darn hilarious as Harry Doyle in Major League. There’s a ton of quotes from that movie alone that still crack me up.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Great lines Euro! There was another Carson show where Uecker was talking about how he was originally a pitcher, and was warming up for a scout. He went on about how he was feeling good and throwing well and felt he was really impressing this scout. Then the scout said “Ok, let me see your fastball”.

That was the end of his pitching days.

Yeah, I am not real big on the automatic retired number for a guy that gets elected to the Hall. I would not have retired Whitey’s number for example, nor LaRussa’s. I think Tony’s was retired before he was elected.

My guess is Ted will be an exception, and not retired. Sort of similar to Joe Medwick. Although I don’t know why Medwick’s number was not retired when Enos Slaughter’s was. Seems like with those guys where they played well before this retired number thing came around, neither should have been retired. But if you are going to do it, then do both.

Like I said, the Cardinals process is awkward.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Free

I don’t think numbers should be retired just because a player gets in the hall of fame. the only exception in my eyes is stan musial. He is without a doubt the greatest cardinal player. I guess Gibsons number could be as well but you could argue dean was ever bit as good til he got hurt. Maybe ozzie but I don’t know. Pujols would have been one maybe if he had stayed a cardinal but he didn’t.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rumors that the 2020 induction will be combined with 2021. If so, Ted will have to wait another year…

Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s official. They have cancelled the induction ceremony and rescheduled it for 2021. Just got an email from the HOF.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Before all of this craziness I had considered going to the induction ceremonies this year, with Simmons and Larry Walker being my main interest. I was hesitant, thinking that the place would be over-run with so many Jeter fans out there, but still had it penciled in as a 50/50 deal. I would then head to Atlantic City and hit the National Sports Collectors convention the following weekend.

But obviously all bets are off with anything like that. It’s looking more and more like 2020 will be a year off from big gatherings, and hopefully we can resume life as we know it in ‘21.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I went when Goose Gossage went in and even for him, the NYY fans made it a zoo. It was when Billy Southworth went in. The NY fans heckled Walter O’Malley’s son Peter, who accepted for his dad. (Took the Dodgers out of Brooklyn.)

I cannot imagine what it will be like for Jeter. A record crowd would not surprise me. But I think it is great you want to go and cheer for Walker and Simmons. I hope it works out for you in 2021.

Viewing 13 posts - 151 through 163 (of 163 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years