Cooperstown Class of 2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cooperstown Class of 2020

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, and there will probably be more. These people with limited perspective must think Jeter is the greatest player in the last 50 years, or maybe all time. I’ve seen people argue that he should be unanimous. He is certainly a Hall of Famer, but this kind of worship is over the top. Worst of all, it hurts the other players because it makes it that much harder for them to reach 75%.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Funny thing is that I’m not certain Jeter would make a list of the ten best players on that ballot. He’s in the top 10 most vote worthy, I guess. But the guy benefitted immensely from being on that run of great Yankee teams. He was a horrendous defender with a good bat but I’d take Rolen on my team over Jeter.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is one NY writer explaining why this year, he took six players off his ballot who he believed were Hall of Famers last year. It is all about Jeter now.

I just don’t even know what to say…

In another year, with a different composition of the BBWAA ballot, I would not have voted only for Jeter. But this year’s BBWAA ballot made it the only choice for me.

Last year, I voted for Mariano Rivera, Edgar Martinez and Mike Mussina, all of whom got in. I also voted for Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte, Manny Ramirez, Curt Schilling and Omar Vizquel, all of whom are back on this year’s ballot.

Participant

Free

I think there are several guys on there deserving of hall of fame status and that’s excluding guys like bonds and Clemens which to me, I think they deserve to be in. if Houston can hold onto its title, those guys deserve their individual recognition. but just voting for one guy when you have voted for some of the others on past ballots is just stupid. to me jeter is the most deserving of the ones not being punished but others may have a different view. I don’t get into the hundred percent or the first time ballot thing, doesn’t matter to me. I don’t remember how many votes these guys get but there are plenty of guys deserving not to limit it to one vote. limiting your vote cause you think that having so called lesser players dilutes the hall is silly.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Here is one NY writer explaining why this year, he took six players off his ballot who he believed were Hall of Famers last year. It is all about Jeter now.

I just don’t even know what to say…

A former military boss once told me, “What can you say about stupid people? They do stupid things.”

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I’d vote for PED guys simply because you really don’t know who was doing them and I’m pretty sure a few PED guys already got in (Piazza, Pudge, Biggio) and for the fact that guys who took greenies and amphetamines back in the day are also in the Hall of Fame. However, I draw the line at Clemens, not because he took PEDs, but because he sexually molested a 15-year old girl. I won’t support that.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

BHC, you may be right about Clemens but he denies any sexual contact prior to the girl turning 18 as does she. I think without any specific evidence to the contrary that Clemens should not be liabled in such a manner.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

GameCard asked:

Does anyone know what time they will announce any additions today by the Veterans Committee?

Participant

Free

From Jay Jaffe’s article on Fangraphs:

“The voting results will be announced that evening (Sunday, tonight) live on MLB Network’s MLB Tonight at 8 pm ET/5 pm PT, and any candidates elected will be inducted alongside those from this year’s BBWAA ballot cycle (whose results will be announced January 21) next July 21 in Cooperstown.”

Good luck, Simba. Other than Brock & Gibson, you were the favorite from my childhood — and more importantly, a worthy candidate.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My two choices, Ted Simmons and Marvin Miller, are in. I am pleased.

Participant

Paid - Annual

About time for both guys.Simba.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Whitaker has a solid case to be in the HOF and I’m surprised he only got 6 votes.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If you haven’t heard it, this is really good.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Speaking of the Baseball Hall of Fame….. My wife and I did a what is sometimes called a ‘fall color tour’ last October. This time we went to the Adirondacks commonly referred to as ‘upstate New York’. We traveled to Albany, Lake George, Lake Placid taking in the fall color along the way. It just so happens that Cooperstown is located in that general area, also. So we found our way to Cooperstown and to the Hall of Fame. I just want to pass along that going to Cooperstown and the HOF is well worth the time. We only were able to stay there for a few hours and that was not nearly enough time. First of all, the HOF has 3, maybe 4, floors, and each is a museum in itself. You could spend 2 or 3 hours on each floor. The other thing is that the town of Cooperstown is a fascinating little town. I’m sure there are people who spend a day just going in and out of places there. (BTW, there’s a very scenic highway to travel coming up the back way to Cooperstown. It has ‘Scenic Byway’ designation. And on the way out of Cooperstown there’s a park with a quaint old covered bridge to visit if you’re into that sort of thing.)

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Very glad to see Ted Simmons make it to the HOF. Always felt like he was very deserving when you compare his stats with others.

Besides, he’s currently hitting .341 for me in my 1975 St. Louis Replay in Strat-O-Matic.

r/Esteemed Rat

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Simba in the Hall!! Love it!! Both Teddy and Marvin Miller waited too long in my opinion. But that’s okay now.

Echo Mudville’s comments on the HOF and Cooperstown. It is a a magical place and I hope to get back someday. Was there in 1997 as part of our vintage baseball barnstorming tour. We worked it out to spend a couple of days there. We played a local vintage team and were hoping to play on Doubleday Field, but the liability insurance was too much, so we staged the match in an open area with a terrific view of the landscape. Incredible memories.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 4 hours ago by bicyclemikebicyclemike.
    Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Yay for Simmons. I enjoyed watching and hearing radio broadcasts of his play during some un-enjoyable seasons. I feel like Murphy should get more votes.

My son and I went to the HOF in 2005 during a visit to Syracuse for the NCAA basketball regional tournament. The museum is definitely something any fan would thoroughly enjoy. Nobody thinks metropolis when they think of Cooperstown, but it hits you in a special and way when you walk the grounds.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I’ve been to Cooperstown in both normal times and on Induction Weekend. If there is an inductee you care about, the latter can be a special time, but the smallish town is overrun with people. It gets pretty crazy.

Participant

Free

About DANG time Simmons got in…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Anyone who was with the Cardinals longer than Simmons during the 68-81 World Series drought? Any one else even close?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years