Cards sign C Willson Contreras

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cards sign C Willson Contreras

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 139 total)
  • Author
    1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I’m sure there’ll be mention of Dusty Blake…

858booyah
    Participant

Free

We have good starters we need an ace.

And how much does an ACE cost? You really see that Cardinals putting up that much coin or prospects to get one? Maybe a half season rental but that’s it.

The Cardinals have a ton of pitching depth. Not saying it’s all elite but there is no way they pay Verlander money. No way they pay the prospects for 1-2 years of an elite ACE starter.

Contreras was likely plan B but when the cost of Murphy was too much they made it plan A. He won’t play out his days at catcher but my guess is he’ll find a home at DH or 1st some of that time.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Based on the comments, this might be unpopular, but I like this signing a heck of a lot after listening to him, stats, etc. I also like that he’s not a “by the book” typically calm Cardinal, having one “firey” veteran (Arenado is somewhat) on the team might be good for them in October.

I’m looking forward to finding a Contreras “Sheerzy” to walk around the neighborhood in when I walk the dog or something, simply to piss off the Cub fans… 🙂

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good pickup. Cardinals needed him. He is a tough out when you need a hit. Has hurt the Cardinals numerous times in the past. Always hated to see him come up in close situations.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So a new uniform number for Jake Woodford?

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

GameCard
    Participant

Free

A really good addition to an already good team.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

SoonerinNC…Your comment sums it up. He was always a tough out when he stepped into the box in key situations and I almost always thought it was a bad idea when the Redbirds attempted a SB when he was behind HP.

14NyquisT
    Participant

This is from cardsfan4 in a piece for VEB

The Cardinals signed Willson Contreras. It’s funny how the waves of expectations hit you. During the 2022 season, if you had told me that or most Cardinals fans, they’d probably be happy. There was a heavy dose of assumption going on that he was simply too pricey for the Cardinals and no way would they be the winning bidders. And then, it became more realistic to imagine. But Sean Murphy emerged. Suddenly that was the preferred option. Or possibly a Blue Jays’ catcher. Things went in a circle and Contreras was the choice after all.

Here’s my best guess as to what happened. The Athletics demanded Masyn Winn or Jordan Walker. Or they wanted something like Nolan Gorman, Lars Nootbaar, and a pitching prospect. The type of trade Cards fans will say “just get it done,” but that when it’s done, they are shocked at the price. I strongly suspect whatever trade offer the Athletics wanted, we’d probably say it was too much. We may never know of course.

I saw this in a story from BR. He was waiting for and wanting to be in a Cardinal uniform. I think he will have a great ’23. As previously mentioned…..

At his introductory press conference on Friday, Contreras said a Sept. 4 game between the Cardinals and Chicago Cubs was when he envisioned himself playing for the other team.

That says plenty.

1982 willie
    Participant

So the Cardinals gave him Woodford number, really. Just trade Woodford to someone that will use him right and not disrespect him.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well number 40 has been Contreras’ number his entire career. He or the organization probably asked Woodford first.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

They could have compromised and issued him #4…

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They will probably give Woody a spring training number. 87 or something like that.

1982 willie
    Participant

I think they probably just gave him the number without asking Woodford, would seem about right. Woodford was probably watching it and saying what the heck. But he should be used it to it by now.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Woodford probably feels like George Jetson felt when Cosmo Spacely flicked his cigar ashes on top of George’s head.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Showing my age here, but when I think of #40 as a Cardinal I think of Rick Wise. 🙂 But Woodford is the obvious recent 40.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

How long before the Cardinals retire both #’s 4 and 5?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Contreras is a big upgrade over what we had, but aspects of the whole thing have gotten pretty squishy. The Cardinals wouldn’t have gone 5 years unless they had to. They did and he’s here and not somewhere else. If it had been Houston, or somebody besides us, who had come up with the 5th year, he would be saying nice things about them too.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Former 1st round pick Shelby Miller wore #40. The Cardinals paid a lot of bonus money to sign Miller out of HS.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Bling…Yeah, it’s not like he’s going to say, “I really wanted to play for the Yankees.”

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Toronto beat writer Shi Davidi says a source told him the Cards tried to get the Jays to take Ryan Helsley for Danny Jansen before they signed Contreras. He also said the Cards did not engage on Nootbaar or Carlson in a prospective trade.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article/as-winter-meetings-come-to-a-close-blue-jays-opt-to-wait-out-other-opportunities/

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Who were the Cardinals planning on having as a closer if they traded away Helsley?

It also said the source, “believes” that to be the case, meaning he doesn’t know. I can’t imaging the Cardinals trying to trade away their closer while having playoff ambitions.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Very interesting indeed. That gives us $7.5 million more this year to spend plus the roughly $5 million that was already still in the budget. Not quite Rodon amounts, but perhaps someone else in a trade that helps consolidate our extra pitching?

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 139 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.