Cards in July – Buyers, Sellers , neither or both?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cards in July – Buyers, Sellers , neither or both?

This topic contains 161 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Cardinals2016 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 162 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nate, The Cardinal Way is a manual used to teach minor leaguers fundamental play.

UConn Card
    UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Since you’re a mind reader, perhaps you can skip this post because you already know what I’m going to post.

I want the team improved and competitive. Period.
    I want the team playing a quality of baseball resulting in post-season play leading to World Series championships.

This team as currently constructed doesn’t meet that standard.

I DON’T measure the quality of the team by how much management spends. Ever.

Sometimes you improve a team by spending big and sometimes you don’t.

Mo’s post-deadline quotes infuriate me. They still need to see what Tuivailala can do? Really? He’s been up and down more than a gymnast learning the balance beam!!

There was no ‘compelling reason’ to make any particular trade? Really? How about the team isn’t worthy to wear the uniform they put on!

Since I haven’t posted much recently, you can have zero idea of my views on much of anything. Please don’t assume what my response will be.

And if you’re going to be facetious, perhaps using blue font to make it clear for those of us too straight forward to get it.

UConn Card
    UConn Card

Paid - Annual

I don’t see how Ortiz taking pot shots at Christians is worthy of the key strokes it took to tweet it.

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If they could have done it with Piscotty and Weaver, we should have done it. If it would have been Flaherty instead of Weaver, I don’t think I would have done it. I think Flaherty will be very good and I don’t see Gray as being the savior for this year all by himself.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

The problem is – the A’s don’t value a package that includes Piscotty as much as they value Yankees prospects

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Yes. I most definitely can.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

So, I have a question: Supposedly, the Cardinals tried to get Sonny Gray. Who was he going to replace in the rotation?

This seems like an example of Mozeliak going through the motions of proposing a trade he knew would never happen just to say he tried.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Agreed.

Spinning not trying by barely trying isnt helping anybody.

colhusker
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

Unless part of the Gray deal was a starting pitcher (i.e., Lynn). That as Brian said, guessing we are spinning much of said attempted deal. If Gray is the only deal he tried it just proves to me he either isn’t very baseball smart or is not paying attention. We need bats too.

mspaid
    Participant

Hi, Brian:

1. Then it’s working because they frequently resemble a minor league team.

2. It is used freely by the media, fans, forum posters and the Cardinals themselves to refer to their way of doing business.

3. I am hijacking the manual title as a moniker for their way of assembling team using kids and crap that they sign cheap or as the case the deadline…doing nothing.

colhusker
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

Listened to the pregame tonight (had softball so I missed yet another chance to get to .500) and feel so much better about the front office doing nothing (man I almost said that without being upset). Admitted they went after zero big name guys, zero. Yeah lets NOT get a difference maker, the Gyorkos, Fowlers and Cecils of the world will get us to the playoffs! Hey maybe the front office can bring back Broxton. What a bunch of buffoons.

bccran
    Participant

Buffoons don’t bring success like this ownership and management has
    brought over many years. We’re spoiled. A little patience will go a long way.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Only Buffoons are the ones in the Cardinals Front Office who can’t build a team..

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Ha! So, Girsch indicated that trading for middle relievers is nothing more than a cosmetic trade – and yet, what do the Cardinals normally do at the trade deadline?

“Girsch declined to go into details, other than that the Cardinals had opportunities to add middle relievers and chose not to make a cosmetic move.”
    http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/gm-girsch-frustrated-says-cards-were-busy-at-deadline/article_f9748d6e-f615-5dcc-9c17-f754ecb4f963.html

bccran
    Participant

The Cards went into the reliever market in the off season and look what happened. He was supposed to be a big upgrade. They got burned. Brebbia’s performance, Lyons’ performance, and the seeming resurgence of Oh and Rosenthal may have altered their thinking. They also have Mayers, Tuivailala, Montgomery, Nielsen, Lucas, etc. – and Duke is back. Perhaps they didn’t see what they felt was a true enhancement over what they already have.

bccran
    Participant

Here’s an interesting stat – the Cards relievers rank 9th in the major leagues right now in ERA.
    Even after all the late inning issues we’ve had. They rank 25th in innings pitched.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

The Cardinals also have the 6th highest inherited runners scoring % against them at 35%.

But you are entirely missing the point – the last 5-6 years, the Cardinals go into the trade deadline and acquire a reliever to act like they are trying to win a world series. But as Girsch contended, those efforts are nothing more than cosmetic.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I’ve said over and over that I believe the relievers are a symptom of the bigger problem – the anemic offense. Too many games are tight. Pen is expected to hold a one-run lead for three innings. Cannot always be perfect. Wish I had time to mine the data to back this up.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We should not be surprised that the message is spun to meet the current situation. Too bad whoever got that quote did not follow up with your question.

mspaid
    Participant

Exactly! The bullpen is charged with holding a one run lead almost every time. They’re going to give up a run occasionally and that usually means a loss. That cried out for a trade at the deadline and they did nothing. Frustrating to be a Cardinal fan sometimes.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

P.S. I also interpreted Girsch’s comment to suggest the team’s problems are more fundamental than can be fixed by adding a set up man. If that is his assessment, I agree.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nate, you and I agree but still disagree. I am pretty sure if they had acquired a reliever, you would have criticized them for just adding a mediocre slug. It seems clear they have punted on this season and that could be the best long-term plan – depending on how they approach this winter.

bccran
    Participant

I guess some on here, in their Cardinal bashing mode, have forgotten the Gonzales for O’Neill trade. He very well could be the big bat we’ve been looking for.
    Tearing it up now at Memphis.
    By the way, Memphis has the best record in all of AAA. Must be some serious talent there to do that.
    With not many AAAA fillers.

NJ315
    Participant

A bit soon to think of O’Neill in those terms. He is slugging .694 but his OBP .308. 1 walk 10k’s in 9 games. Give him time then we will know.

mspaid
    Participant

I would have criticized a slug if indeed it was as they usually are. Now, if they had acquired Britton then I would have been very happy. i.e. get top notch talent and not garbage.
    You are right about punting this season and then approach things this winter. But they will only grab slugs and low hanging fruit.
    Mo or the new GM, I forget his name, will trot out the usual talking points.
    1. The players we have will just have to perform better.
    2. We can’t block players at Memphis.
    3. We don’t want expensive contracts that will prevent us from doing something in the future (though what that something is I don’t know).
    4. Small market team
    5. We need to “Invest”
    5. We’ll teach them how to field and run the bases in ST.
    Even typing these makes me laugh out loud.

I don’t suffer any angst like some on here. The front office is straightforward and honest. They never promise to do anything and they don’t. They didn’t lead anyone to think there would be action at the deadline so no one should be surprised let alone angry. They won’t do anything this winter but they never say they will. They’ll go to the winter meetings say hello then come back home. That is the “Cardinal Way.” Get used to it.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 162 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years