Cardinals’ Off-season Needs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals’ Off-season Needs

Viewing 25 posts - 476 through 500 (of 822 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Thanks Mr. Walton. I appreciate the banter. As for what I believe the teams needs to do is take advantage of the times to reset things a bit. If teams non-tender a large number of players their could be solutions to some of the issues at a bargain price. The Cardinals should also take advantage and non-tender some players and save money as well. They need to find a LF and 3B. That won’t be easy but they have a couple ways to address it. I like some of the things already mentioned so in about two weeks we will have a better ideal where things will head this offseason.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

TexasCard, I agree about waiting to see who is non-tendered by other teams. Could make for some bargains. I am curious, however, which Cardinals you would non-tender to save money. I am not seeing it.

Cardinals Face Six Possible Arbitration Cases for 2021

Participant

Free

I agree with most of what you are saying but I’d probably be in the camp of non-tendering Brebbia. It’s a tough call, but I’d move on. There are young arms waiting for their chance as evidenced by this shortened season without Brebbia. It would make sense to me to save that money as small as it is for another player. But again I am almost all there with what you have written about.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Here’s another intriguing option:

Ha-seong Kim

The Cards have had a lot of success going overseas lately, although mostly on the pitching end. He might cost a bit and he’s an infielder, but he’s 25 and could possibly fill the 3B role for a season or two and then move if needed.

Here’s an intriguing part of that article above:

From a scouting standpoint, there isn’t a great deal of fretting, either. In our ranking of international prospects on The Board, Kim ranks at the top with a future value of 50 and no risk modifier. For reference, our 50 FV prospects rank from 44th (Jasson Dominguez) to 115th (Isaac Paredes), so it wouldn’t be a stretch to call a Kim bound for the US (or Canada!) a top 100 prospect. Kyle Glaser of Baseball America agreed in May, calling him a top 100 prospect and ranking him as the top player in Korea when it came to future MLB potential.

Zips (the projection system for Fangraphs) sees him as a 3.5+ WAR player the next several years. That is very solid.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i like the look of him 25…anyone else out there that might be posted?

and those projection look pretty well worth taking a chance on…he isn’t old, has a nice combination of skills.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Love the idea, 25! Thank you for sharing.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Today’s gold glove nominations got me to thinking about David Peralta again. He is 33 years old but a very fine player. He is a lifetime .291 hitter, gold glove defender, and has posted 13.6 WAR in seven seasons, including the shortened 2020. He is under contract for two more years at $7.5M/year. I wonder what kind of return Arizona would want in a trade?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I wonder if he has any ill feelings about an organization that gave up on him? Granted he was a pitcher then….

Participant

Paid - Annual

Who gave up on him?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who gave up on him?

The Cardinals released Peralta in 2009. He then switched from pitching and became a pretty solid outfielder.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Free

gscott, that is not too bad of an idea. He should do about as good as Pederson.

Pluses:
    1) He is affordable at $7.5 million for 2 years.
    2) He hits RH pitching very well.
    3) He hits for a higher average than Pederson.

My concerns:
    1) He plays in a stadium that favors hitters and he has over .100 point difference in OPS between home and on the road.
    2) He has already turned 33 years old. Is he starting a decline phase? If so, how quick?
    3) He is not a real good defender.

EDIT: I guess I should look at all the threads before making some comments. He won the Gold Glove last year but shows a negative dWAR on Baseball Reference for 5 of his 7 years. Maybe he is and maybe he isn’t a good defender. (Shrugs Shoulders)

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatarforsch31.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

brian wrote:

I wonder if he has any ill feelings about an organization that gave up on him? Granted he was a pitcher then….

I had actually forgotten that he is an ex-Cardinal minor leaguer so thanks for that reminder. I don’t know how he would feel about coming back here but unless he has a no-trade clause it might be a moot point. Of course, I have zero knowledge of the Cardinals even considering him as a possibility. I am just throwing a name out there.

forsch31 wrote:

That is certainly something to think about forsch. I don’t know if home/away splits in Arizona are as extreme as Colorado but yes they can be an issue to consider. Goldy is still good but he is a higher caliber player than Peralta.

Participant

Paid - Annual

A poster on another board came up with a novel idea. He took the top 6 rated outfields in MLB and looked for minor league outfielders in those systems who are major league ready. He came up with the following for trade target possibilities.

Kyle Tucker
    Alex Verdugo (untouchable?)
    Trevor Larnach
    Brandon Marsh
    Christian Pache
    Drew Waters

Not a bad strategy.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good approach but I am not sure about those names. Too late for Tucker, who was a regular in MLB this season. With the Astros potentially losing three veteran OFs to free agency, why would they trade away their young OF talent? Makes no sense.

Verdugo has over 600 MLB PAs already. He is sure not a minor leaguer who is MLB ready. Pache started in CF for the Braves in the NLCS and looks like a budding star. At the other end, Marsh has yet to play above AA so would need more time probably, etc…

These kinds of players would not come cheaply – probably like if someone inquired to the Cardinals about Carlson. Never say never, but…

Participant

Free

That is about what I was looking at when I suggested trading for Kirilloff. I am a little confused about that list, though. Tucker and Verdugo played 2020 in the majors so they don’t really fit. However, that list is what I was hoping the Cardinals would target. The ones that are more contact oriented would be the top of my list. I am tired of strikeouts.

Participant

Paid - Annual

This is what I meant to post earlier.

forsch31 wrote:

He plays in a stadium that favors hitters and he has over .100 point difference in OPS between home and on the road.

That is certainly something to think about forsch. I don’t know if home/away splits in Arizona are as extreme as Colorado but yes they can be an issue to consider. Goldy is still good but he is a higher caliber player than Peralta.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I didn’t check on those particular players, but the concept seems sound. It’s was applied in getting O’Neill.

Participant

Free

bccran:

How can the concept be sound if got us O’Neill? He sucks.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It got us a top 100 outfielder. The fact that it hasn’t worked out so far shouldn’t deter the Cards from trying again.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I just read where there will NOT be a DH in the NL in 2021.

Anybody confirm?

r/Esteemed Rat<~~~~who about froze at the football game tonight. Wet, windy, cold

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

rats asked:

NO. That is not true, but I did see a story saying that very thing on your favorite news site, Yahoo. As a result of the misinformation, I tweeted the following this afternoon.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wet, windy, cold, us too, but we won!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Would look to one of the young MLB ready outfielders from the Braves, Angels, or Mariners. A guy who’s blocked.

Participant

Paid - Annual

rats asked:

NO. That is not true, but I did see a story saying that very thing on your favorite news site, Yahoo.

The writer from Minnesota and the Yahoo reporter should have known better than to go down this road considering the timing of it. Even if MLB has made a final decision, which is very doubtful, they wouldn’t leak it to anyone IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WORLD SERIES!!

They like to keep all non-world series announcements under wraps until the series is over so the attention is on the series, which is understandable. I am not saying that leaks and mistakes couldn’t happen but it just seems unlikely to me, especially considering that MLB doesn’t get in a hurry to decide anything. Walking and chewing gum at the same time isn’t their specialty.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatargscottar.
Viewing 25 posts - 476 through 500 (of 822 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years